PDA

View Full Version : Fallen heroes honored in stone

thedrifter
08-26-09, 06:19 AM
Fallen heroes honored in stone

8/25/2009 By Lance Cpl. Jahn R. Kuiper , Marine Corps Base Quantico

Some bowed their heads, some stood at attention, some cried, others smiled, put their hand over their heart, saluted and some a few stared into the distance. But for the surviving Raiders who listened to the call of taps that afternoon an emotional chord was struck as their fallen Killed In Action were given their final sound off.

Approximately 70 of the 300 surviving Raiders made their way Aug. 20 to the front walk of Raider Hall at The Basic School to see their fallen brothers’ names memorialized in brick.

Nearly 250 family members, friends and admirers of the Raiders came, including the 29th Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Al Gray, to honor those Marines who died fighting in the Pacific as part of the first Marine special operations unit in World War II.

"I’m so happy we can do this for them," Melvin D. Heckt said of those fallen heroes. Heckt was a 1st Raider Bn. machine gunner. "We need to honor them because they are the real heroes. They all died at such a young age, most 16 to 19. I think this is a fitting tribute."

To further honor the memory of the Raiders, the headquarters for the Martial Arts Center of Excellence was named Raider Hall Aug. 2, 2004. Since then it has been the home for all Raider memorabilia.

"What [the Raider Hall staff] did for us is outstanding," said Harold W. Berg, a 1st Raider Bn. mortarman. "It’s great we can honor our fallen comrades. We are so proud of what they’ve done with this building. Every time we come back they’ve made new additions."

For the Marines who work at Raider Hall it’s important to understand where they come from and how it made them the Marines they are today.

"This is our appreciation to the greatest generation that allows us to wear our uniform today," said retired Lt. Col. Joseph C. Shusko, head of the Martial Arts Center of Excellence at Raider Hall. "We honor them because they laid the foundation for us."

The Raiders made way for new warfare technology.

"We were the first special operations force," said Ken O’Donnell. "We were the first to try new weapons, the first to wear camouflage and the first to use the stiletto blade. Anything new, we tried it."

The United States Marine Corps Raider Association holds an annual meeting at Raider Hall to sound off the names of those Raiders who died in the past year. Before the dedication, a bell tolled 126 times as the names of fallen heroes were called. A solemn silence was present as taps was played.

Gray, the guest of honor, spoke to the memory of Raiders. "It is because of these men’s legacy we have the Corps that we know today. Without their effort and sacrifice, our Corps would look much different. They have made us stronger."

- Correspondent: jahn.kuiper@usmc.mil

Ellie

thedrifter
08-26-09, 08:05 AM
Marine salutes brought tears
Comments 2 | Recommend 0
August 25, 2009 8:30 PM

Recently, I traveled to Washington, D.C., as a member of the Edson's Raiders from World War II and a member of the Raider Association, comprised of wives, sons, daughters and grandchildren. There were about 400 people who attended the event.

Of the Raiders still alive, there were about 12 present. Several were in wheelchairs, some with walkers, and about seven still on their feet. I was the youngest there of the original Edson's Raiders, which was formed about a month after Pearl Harbor. Of the 450 Edson Marines that survived the war, very few are still alive.

I am now 85 years old. I joined up at 17-1/2 years a few months before Pearl Harbor. This unit was made up almost completely of old Corps Marines; many had been in World War I.

While we were in D.C., most all of us stayed in the same hotel on the edge of Ronald Reagan Airport. We took bus trips to the Marine Museum, and went on the base at Quantico to see the building and museum dedicated to us, called Raider Hall.

The best part of the trip was when we went by bus to the Marine Barracks. The buses parked a block and a half from the entrance and about 20 Marines stationed there came out and lined up a little distance apart along the sidewalk.

All of them were in dress blues, and their ribbons indicated long service to the country. Most were sergeants or above. They could tell the Raiders from civilians because most of us were wearing black caps with the Raider shoulder patch on the front and we were old.

As I came to each Marine as I walked along the sidewalk, he would snap to attention and hold a salute until I returned it. This was the first time in about 67 years that I was so honored. I felt so proud and was moved to tears. Tears still come now just thinking about it.

Nothing compares with this.

JIM CAMPBELL, Yuma

Ellie