PDA

View Full Version : Military driver's license

usmcwf83
08-26-09, 12:48 AM
Wow, when I joined this site quite awhile ago, I was a long time Marine wife. Hubby retired in '04 and now in '09 we are Marine parents!
Son is at ITB, Camp Pendleton and some of the guys talk of trying to get into LAVs. They mentioned vision requirements and whatever it takes to get a military driver's license...what requirements are there to getting a driver's license??
Does it mean things like a ticket or something could prohibit you from getting into LAVs? Just wondered if a military license is different than a regular one, or if the 0313 MOS had specific requirements. :confused:
Thanks!

Petz
08-26-09, 12:56 AM
need to have a valid drivers license...points or tickets should be ok.

there are hight limits.... those things weren't exactly built for really tall folks.

I'd say, no worries.

usmcwf83
08-26-09, 01:29 AM
What if any of them have any old stuff like accidents or DUIs? How tall is too tall? LOL!

Petz
08-26-09, 01:36 AM
DUIs could be a problem... those will be in his record, and he could have been assigned an MOS that would DQ him at the school house, but I find that to be very rare in circumstance. I got a license while my drivers license was suspended... I just didn't know about it since they did it after I joined! haha...

accidents are not a problem... and I don't know what too tall actually is, but I'd say anything over 6'2".... will at least make it cramped... those height limiters would have kept him from being assigned the MOS so he should be good.

usmcwf83
08-26-09, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Ssgt...that is helpful!

usmcwf83
08-29-09, 08:47 AM
Ok, now our son told us HE is on the list for LAVs out of ITB. Not sure if he will get it but what can anyone tell me about these things...just in case he gets them? His dad was air wing so we are newbies to this ground stuff!
Thanks!

Petz
08-29-09, 10:29 PM
it's a Light Assault Vehicle.... armored, has 8 wheels, I THINK 20mm cannon... or something like that.... and is fast.

if he's got it he should have fun.

Pete0331
08-30-09, 03:12 AM
it's a Light Assault Vehicle.... armored, has 8 wheels, I THINK 20mm cannon... or something like that.... and is fast.

if he's got it he should have fun.

The Bushmaster M242 25mm chaingun
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/m242.htm

If he's going in for LAV's it means at SOI after the basic infantry skills portion he will go on to the 0311 (Rifleman) specific training.
After that he will remain at SOI and go to 0313 (LAV crewman) training.

After that he will go on to one of the Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) battalions.

More info on the LAV system:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/lav.htm

usmcwf83
08-30-09, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the links, Pete...he is at SOI-ITB now as an 0311. He hoped they would keep him that as he said he had been thinking of LAVs after he got to ITB and you had to be 0311 to go to LAVs. He had a friend who wanted to also but they picked him for Mortarman. I guess we will wait and see since if he does not get LAVs, he will stay an 0311.

Petz
08-30-09, 09:19 AM
oh... so he doesn't know yet?

usmcwf83
08-30-09, 10:29 AM
No, they asked for guys at ITB that had a valid license, were not taller than 73" and had vision correctable to 20-20 (I think that was the vision thing) and before they finished, our son stood up because he knew what they were going to ask for...LAVs. So, he is on a list and the LAV guys will be going out to talk to them next week if they have any questions, so we will see. My son had heard that they had done it this way from all the other guys that are there now at LAV school--ask for so many volunteers during SOI, IF you were an 0311--but then he also heard it was a contract MOS. So, he was happy when they showed up! They had some LAVs go thundering past them last week and the guys thought they were cool...you know, like they tend to get when they get to shoot big guns and stuff LOL!