PDA

View Full Version : M-16 Still Hot Enough for Marines

thedrifter
08-25-09, 08:54 AM
M-16 Still Hot Enough for Marines
by W. Thomas Smith Jr. (more by this author)
Posted 08/25/2009 ET

Two years ago when I was in Iraq, I noticed there were essentially two different primary infantry weapons (the M16 automatic rifle and the also-automatic M4 carbine) carried by America’s two primary ground forces -- the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Army.

Marines for the most part were carrying the M16. The Army on the other hand was primarily carrying the M4: a shorter, lighter version of the M16 with a collapsible-stock.

Not that there weren’t leathernecks carrying M4s; there were. And soldiers also were wielding 16s.

But slightly different approaches to infantry tactics had led one force to favor one version of the weapon over the other. And experts today at Headquarters Marine Corps and the Army’s Picatinny Arsenal suggest that trend is increasingly reflecting the differing operational philosophies between the two services.

What’s more, there seems to be no new replacement system on the horizon for the M-16 family of weapons, including the current M16A4 and its shorter sister, the M4. Defense contractors like Colt and Fabrique Nationale are always looking beyond current design to come up with a system that outperforms all others. But unlike ships, planes, and tanks, which take years -- sometimes decades -- from conception to production, a rifle is still a very basic tool of armed combat, and some of the features of almost any rifle are largely unchanged since the Civil War.

This is not to suggest that modern rifles are not incredibly sophisticated; they are. But experts contend rifle technology may have hit a plateau.

Moreover, “we don’t operate in an unconstrained fiscal environment,” Charles Clark, the infantry weapons capability integration officer at Headquarters Marine Corps, Quantico, Virginia, tells HUMAN EVENTS. “We have to focus on where we can make improvements and how we can do that within fiscal constraints, simultaneously supporting our operating forces.”

Clark, who juggles his civilian job at Quantico with his work as a Marine Reserve infantry officer (having had combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan) says the current M16A4 is actually “a great primary service weapon” and there are no plans to replace it for at least another decade. But, he adds, a future Marine commandant could easily come in and say, “Let’s replace the M16,” though it’s not likely, given the M16A4’s solid performance in various post-9/11 operational environments.

“We are always looking to upgrade things like maybe the ammunition and the ancillary equipment we use on the weapon, the rifle-combat optic for instance, and the night vision capabilities with image intensifiers, laser pointers, etc.,” he says.

Though it may be considered a “great primary” infantry rifle today, the M16 -- lighter and at a much smaller caliber (5.56 mm) than its heavier forebears -- struggled to earn the respect it now holds.

The weapon is far removed from the old World War I-era bolt-action M1903 Springfield that Marines used to knock down German infantrymen at distances beyond 800 yards during the 1918 battle of Belleau Wood. Nevertheless, the M16 has been the primary Marine (and Army) infantry weapon for more than 40 years. And Marine recruits -- like their great, great grandfathers during World War I -- continue to hone their marksmanship skills at distances up to 500 yards. After all, it was the marriage between a Marine and his Springfield that inspired U.S. Army Gen. John J. “Black Jack” Pershing to proclaim, “The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.”

That fact has not changed, though rifles have.

During World War II, the semi-automatic M1 Garand began replacing the M1903 Springfield. The M1 began to be replaced by the also-semi-automatic M14 (said to be the last of the large caliber American battle rifles) during the 1950s. And the M14 began to be replaced by the M16 in the 1960s.

The current fourth-generation M16A4 rifle is an exponentially superior weapon to the somewhat problematic first-generation M16 during the Vietnam War (I actually cut my teeth on M16A1s and M16A2s in the 1980s). And the near submachinegun-size M4 is widely considered an excellent weapon for conventional infantry (though modern infantry is trained in both conventional and unconventional tactics), paratroopers, and special operations forces, keeping in mind that 21st-century American ground forces have a far larger variety of standard weapons to choose from than previous generations.

One Marine officer told me, “I understand the Army has in fact considered an M-4 pure fleet, getting rid of all their M16s, and they’ve already done that within their brigade combat teams.”

Indeed, during my time in 2007 embedded with the 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the Army's famed 1st Cavalry Division operating out of Baghdad, nearly all of the soldiers were armed with M4s -- whereas during my time spent with Marine rifle squads of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit at Al Taqaddum and Regimental Combat Team 2 near the Syrian border, I observed a far greater number of Marines carrying M16s.

The reasons were simple: Army patrols were frequently mounted (in Humvees and other vehicles) at least for a portion of any given patrol. And it is simply easier to get in-and-out of vehicles with a shorter M4.

Marine patrols however were almost always on foot (and for hours at a time).

“We see ourselves as foot-mobile infantry,” says Clark, who adds, “From the Marine Corps perspective, we issue the carbine to folks -- vehicle drivers, crews, and infantry officers [tasked more with leading men than physically engaging enemy targets] -- who might be impeded by a longer, heavier weapon.”

Like their Belleau Wood ancestors, Marines still pride themselves on being able to kill the enemy at great distances. And rifles are frankly better suited for distance-shooting than carbines. Though Clark adds the capabilities between the two “are very close,” and the M4 is very effective.

U.S. Army Col. Doug Tamilio, project manager soldier weapons at Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, tells HUMAN EVENTS, “The M4 is [now] the primary infantry weapon in the U.S. Army.”

Asked what the primary infantry weapon might look like in 10, 15, or 20 years, Tamilio says, “Traditional rifle/carbine technology appears to have plateaued and there are no known or anticipated leap-ahead performance breakthroughs. Carbine designs may have different features, however overall performance is similar with no operationally significant differences. As new technology -- beyond kinetic energy -- develops, the looks and most importantly the capabilities may be wide open.”

What do the troops say? According to Tamilio, “Post-combat surveys indicate 90 percent satisfaction with M4, and the Center for Naval Analyses survey indicates 89 percent overall satisfaction with M4 and 75 percent overall satisfaction with M16.”

What about the unsatisfied 25 percent? Most agree it stems from the occasional jam or misfire. And all, it takes is one jam or misfire at a critical point on the battlefield, and the 99 percent superior performance of any weapon is forgotten.

Mr. Smith is a contributor to Human Events. A former U.S. Marine rifle-squad leader and counterterrorism instructor, he writes about military/defense issues and has covered conflict in the Balkans, on the West Bank, in Iraq and Lebanon. He is the author of six books, and his articles appear in a variety of publications. E-mail him at marine1@uswriter.com.

Ellie

echo4mike
09-01-09, 02:29 AM
Excellent article.

Caesar Augustus
09-13-09, 12:53 AM
I miss my M16A4.

Never did like the M4

JKe-6
09-16-09, 12:06 AM
I miss my M16A4.

Never did like the M4
I hear ya on that one.

ggyoung
09-16-09, 12:11 PM
Anybody here remember Hill 881 South?

wargrudge
09-17-09, 04:38 PM
I love my M16A4. It's a beautiful peice of weaponry.

Patriot89
09-30-09, 04:56 PM
Are the Marines using the M16 today in Afghanistan, or are they also switched to the M4? Also, do all weapons come with scopes when you're there or is it optional or is it assigned? Thanks much

SgtThrasher
09-30-09, 05:18 PM
I think Scopes are too expensive for standard issue,maybe in the Army .I'm basing that on the Marine Corps budget in the Vietnam era where we got the Army leftovers.Sgt Young knows what I mean!

FistFu68
09-30-09, 05:27 PM
:evilgrin: Anyone ever double tap a Terrorist in tha' Head and Witness His survival??? :confused: :iwo:

Qwarkeh
09-30-09, 05:33 PM
Actually, when I was issued my rifle a month ago I was surprised to see it had a Rifle Combat Optic on it. Hell, I'm about to qualify with it next week.

hussaf
09-30-09, 06:37 PM
Yeah, you qual with your T/O now...so if that includes an ACOG, you qual with an ACOG. It's a little weird really. Takes some getting used to for the KD course (table 1) as you don't adjust sights for distance, you use a different aimpoint on the reticle/chevron. I think I prefer the 16 with iron sights for pure marksmanship firing.

After deploying with the M4 (2x), I am amazed at the size of the comparatively giant A4 (pretty sure its a little longer than the A2 even). I had no problems with the M4. We could choose between the ACOG and EOTECH optics but I wasn't aware of that when I drew from the armory (I was one of the only guys with an ACOG vice EOTECH). And of course other optics (PEQ-2, Surefire integrated pistol grip, those little auto-launching bipod things, etc.). These things are getting more and more common these days. But yes, for the majority of GWOT, it seems Marines were equipped with much less than the Army (remember when not everyone could get SAPI plates?).

In 2006, some guys from some Quantico weapons testing group came to my base and did an enemy weapons fam course. While BS'ing during break they said they were testing the SCARS as a replacement for the M-16 based systems, but that they didn't like it too much. Since then, I've heard good things, but have never fired a SCARS myself (other than on xbox ;o). There was also some rumor about the XM8 being tested (I read about it in Marine Times, or somewhere). But obviously that didn't go anywhere either. Regardless, the M4 is doing its job. For those concerned about the 5.56 (.223) being too light, I heard RUMINT there was testing for a weapon that can support both 5.56/7.62 with a relatively idiot proof barrel/'whatever else' transition.

But who knows. Not me.

Lisa 23
09-30-09, 06:50 PM
Are the Marines using the M16 today in Afghanistan, or are they also switched to the M4? Also, do all weapons come with scopes when you're there or is it optional or is it assigned? Thanks much
Wannabe...you don't belong in this part of the boards. This part of the boards is for Marines only!
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

Zulu 36
09-30-09, 07:11 PM
I've never fired the M-16 models newer than M-16A1. I did have an M-16A1 variant for Desert Storm that had a 18" barrel and a collapsible stock. The normal M-16A1 rifle had a 22" barrel.

I could still shoot bulls at 500 yards with it when we did our pre-Desert Storm workups. Seeing as I was a flight sergeant and shouldn't have to shoot at those ranges, I was still pretty happy.

I also liked the bayonet lug. :D

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/3/0/7/6/6/CopyofChrisatDesertStorm.jpg
file:///C:/Users/tiptonch/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpgfile:///C:/Users/tiptonch/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpg

Garyius
09-30-09, 08:30 PM
In the Corps, in boot and all the way through, and in the national guard, I had an M16A2. I bought a copy, only in 1/9 rifle, and use it all the time.

My wife really wanted a fun AR, so we built her a Mforgery 16in 1/9 with a flat top and EoTch sight, all in pink. It is a fun gun to shoot.

I also have M1s and other rifles.

Whenever I think I need a rifle, my A2 clone is what I go to. It just has the reassuring heft. I know what it does and it feels right.

I wonder if I went into the army nowadays if my wife's rifle would feel right.

Caesar Augustus
10-01-09, 03:57 PM
We all had acogs and M16A4s back in early 05 when we were working up to go to Iraq. I'm sure by now most if not all victor units and others by now have the A4 along with some sight. Can't count the number of O's and REFM with perfect looking rifles with scopes while I saw other combat units without them.

hussaf
10-01-09, 07:03 PM
We all had acogs and M16A4s back in early 05 when we were working up to go to Iraq. I'm sure by now most if not all victor units and others by now have the A4 along with some sight. Can't count the number of O's and REFM with perfect looking rifles with scopes while I saw other combat units without them.

Yep. There are many. But the workers equipment is starting to catch up to the non-workers. Actually, your starting to see the FOBits with less gear. I think they are either distributing them more equally, or the Marines realized all that extra sh*t is heavy. Regardless, you can always tell the people who don't know where the front gate is by the big black stain on their upper back (from where the rifle rests for 7 months). But the O statement still holds true. Heck, I saw a Lt. Col. at jump school! Nice enough guy, but I'm pretty sure he didn't need the jump billet...whereas plenty of E3/4 straight out of RIP/INDOC do.

ZSKI
10-02-09, 06:31 AM
Actually, when I was issued my rifle a month ago I was surprised to see it had a Rifle Combat Optic on it. Hell, I'm about to qualify with it next week.

its harder till u get used to it. I unq'ed the first time shooting the course with it but in 2 i qualled then the actual qual day i got expert.

Caesar Augustus
10-05-09, 09:50 AM
WTF is the rifle combat optic? Are now issuing optics with each rifle???

wtf

stretchusa
10-05-09, 10:01 AM
RCO is what they call the ACOG now. The intent is to have enough to issue with every rifle and carbine in the Marine Corps. It is considered a force mulitplier, however the 0306 Marine Gunner world wants to cut down on the amount of stuff issued out for personal weapons.

Caesar Augustus
10-05-09, 10:20 AM
Wow how gay its a ****ing ACOG so says the manufacture. Still see no need for REMF to have optics its a waste of funds that could go towards oh getting us radios that haven't seen the beaches of normandy and ****

stretchusa
10-05-09, 10:40 AM
There are some differences between the RCO and ACOG. As far as radios go, well the 119F is out there pluss the sat com stuff and I know they are replacing the POS PRR with a new radio. They are also fielding a SAW replacement soon.

Caesar Augustus
10-05-09, 11:08 AM
Damn guess I got out right as all the new **** was coming in. We had the 119s, definitely didn't have sat com, didn't even have blue force tracker although H&S did.......We did have the PIR though didn't really have an issue with them.

What are they replacing the saw with?

stretchusa
10-05-09, 11:18 AM
saw is being replaced by the infantry automatic rifle, going back to the Corps roots with a BAR style weapon. The SAW is not going away completely, the new weapon is for victor units only but the SAW's will still be in the armory, if the mission dictates the need for them. The Gunner community took a look at the amount of rounds being used to suppress with the SAW and desided that a more effective jjob could be done with a weapong that was inherently more acurate than a LMG. They passed the recommendation up to the CMC and he agreed. The IAR should be announced here in the next few weeks, and fielding should start early next year.