PDA

View Full Version : Day after Crucible/Personal belongings

Capital M
08-24-09, 06:44 PM
Just had a couple quick questions for you Marines

1) What is the day after the Crucible like, after the warrior breakfast do you just go about like any other training day, or is there down time?

2) When are you granted access to everything you brought to boot camp? I know I've got a while, but I was just wondering about bringing contact lenses down to have for family day/graduation (if allowed by my Drill Instructors) or having my parents mail them to me toward the end of 3rd phase, just wondering if I was going to have access to my personal belongings before the last day.

Lisa 23
08-24-09, 06:53 PM
I know you want more detailed answers to your questions, but for now, check the training matrix out on this site...it may help answer some of your questions.
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

As for bringing contact lenses to boot camp, leave them home. You'll never be able to wear them during boot camp training anyway.

TJKUSMC
08-24-09, 08:08 PM
Yea. Be the one to sneak contact lenses into boot camp then wear them in the gas chamber.

Marine84
08-24-09, 08:10 PM
Once you get in the fleet (I remember wearing my own going into A School) you can wear your own but I'm sure there are stiff regs. You can't have a pair of pimped out glasses with colored lenses and stuff. They MUST look good on your mug while in uniform.

Marine84
08-24-09, 08:11 PM
Never mind...............I'm old and you wear lenses.

Capital M
08-24-09, 09:56 PM
Oh, no, I wasn't intending to wear them at during RT, just wondering if I could wear them for graduation, But PFC LASW's link answered both my questions (other than wearing contacts for graduation)

Thank you Marines.

dizark
08-24-09, 11:31 PM
Basically it depends on your SDI. I saw kids in other platoons wearing their civilian glasses after we got back from the Crucible/Warrior Breakfast. My SDI wouldn't allow us to, including during graduation, so we had to wear our BCG's until we were dismissed. I no sooner went to pick up my last seabag and threw my civilian glasses on.

In MCT, some kids got away with wearing their civilian glasses all the time, while I toughed it out with my BCG's that loved to fog up from heat and sweat. Once we got our civilian belongings out of storage at the end of MCT, I immediately threw my civilian glasses back on.

btw, in boot, be sure to call them portholes. I got quarterdecked for calling them glasses one time. :D

Capital M
08-25-09, 12:04 AM
Aye PFC, portholes it is.

Quinbo
08-25-09, 01:50 AM
It's a vague and long ago recollection and may or may not be different now. We packed our trash into a box and it went to storage in supply for the duration of boot. I've heard squids and maybe even new Marine recruits mail their stuff home. On with the show. We got our box back a day or so before we graduated. I had worn a coat ( shipped from Colorado in March) . Coat didn't fit and most of the other stuff I couldn't even remember... short list but still. Take the minimum, you are better off that way.

ITS ... now called SOI & / MCT. Every Marine a rifleman and all that happy horse****. Graduation from ITS we were told no one is going anywhere until such and such boom box turns up. Sweating on the parade deck sitting on your seabag for hours. Boom box never turned up; we all graduated and continued to march.

You take extra crap to MCT or follow-on school plan or losing or breaking most or all of it. Live a spartan life for a few months then get your 27" tv with your X-box and cell phone later. The only thing left to complain about is no AC in the barracks.

GREY MATTER
08-25-09, 02:43 AM
also...donot shave your head before you leave...they are still gonna cut your hair whether you have any or not...and bootcamp haircuts are painful....lol

Quinbo
08-25-09, 04:10 AM
Try at all costs to avoid living in escondido, california and being stationed in mirimar. Somehow the combination sucks the brains right out of you.

Parker-0321
08-25-09, 05:16 AM
Yea. Be the one to sneak contact lenses into boot camp then wear them in the gas chamber.

Ha! I'd love to see that.

In the end it's up to your Senior Drill Instructor, but the Recruits/Fresh Marines in my platoon where allowed to wear their civilian eye wear- including contacts- if they had them. Some had their families mail contacts to them, some had them in their personal effects when they arrived.

You will put everything you show up with (minus your documents, ID card, etc) into a box the day/night you get there. The box will go into an organized storage room until the week of graduation. If you had contacts in your pocket when you showed up you would get them before you graduate.

Answer your question, poolee?

Supersquishy
08-25-09, 05:30 AM
In the end it's up to your Senior Drill Instructor, but the Recruits/Fresh Marines in my platoon where allowed to wear their civilian eye wear- including contacts- if they had them. Some had their families mail contacts to them, some had them in their personal effects when they arrived.

You will put everything you show up with (minus your documents, ID card, etc) into a box the day/night you get there. The box will go into an organized storage room until the week of graduation. If you had contacts in your pocket when you showed up you would get them before you graduate.

Exactly, I might add one bit just so you have a fresh pair of contacts for the graduation is if you wear disposables, bring a pair that are in its original sealed container, that way they will be brand new. You don't want to mess with a used set stored in a hot storage for 3 months. Again like Parker said, you will get your personal belongings a day before graduation. Good Luck!

Capital M
08-25-09, 09:54 AM
Ha! I'd love to see that.

Perfectly, thank you LCpl..

Cpl, that's what I had planned on doing if I didn't have my parents mail them to me at some point during third phase. Thank you.

MicMarine
08-25-09, 11:02 AM
I know you want more detailed answers to your questions, but for now, check the training matrix out on this site...it may help answer some of your questions.
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

As for bringing contact lenses to boot camp, leave them home. You'll never be able to wear them during boot camp training anyway.

I am impressed, good post Devil.

MicMarine
08-25-09, 11:17 AM
Aye PFC, portholes it is.
It's "aye, aye" not "aye". You just say it so fast that it sounds like one. I am tired of seeing it miss used.

BR34
08-25-09, 12:28 PM
It's "aye, aye" not "aye". You just say it so fast that it sounds like one. I am tired of seeing it miss used.

It's "aye aye" on the left coast. Paris Island Recruits are instructed to say "Aye". I guess with all the naval yards around MCRD San Diego it's hard to shake the sailory.

An affirmitive, or vote for.

Jdncowboy
08-25-09, 01:13 PM
It was Aye, Aye in bootcamp for me. but once I got to MCT, MOS school and the fleet it has been Aye.

Petz
08-26-09, 12:45 AM
Try at all costs to avoid living in escondido, california and being stationed in mirimar. Somehow the combination sucks the brains right out of you.

hahahaahahahaha, sure does....

GREY MATTER
08-26-09, 01:45 AM
is that a stab at me?

rufio14
08-26-09, 12:16 PM
also...donot shave your head before you leave...they are still gonna cut your hair whether you have any or not...and bootcamp haircuts are painful....lol

Yeah I can attest to that! I got a mole cut right of my scalp up at Edson Range haha. I hated that lady that cut hair there. I swear that she though we were sheep or something.

For me, after the Crucible and Warriors Breakfast, we did our gear turn in. That took alot of the day up and then after that we did alot of little stuff. Everyone was so exauhsted we couldn't even move fast but the DI's were pretty good about it. That was a fun day now that I look back on it.

You wear your BCG's all through boot camp, that includes Family Day and Graduation. At MCT some people got away with wearing contacts but they wanted everyone to wear BCG's. This is all West Coast btw.. I never had to deal with those as the only thing sharper than my eye is my wit :marine:

Capital M
08-26-09, 01:15 PM
I never had to deal with those as the only thing sharper than my eye is my wit :marine:

Lucky PFC, I can't stand glasses. And thanks for your after Crucible experiences. :thumbup:

0231Marine
08-27-09, 07:07 AM
I had my parents bring me my contacts for family day and I wore them during graduation. I think each Senior DI has his own rules and what not but ours allowed it so I did it. They felt weird after not wearing them for 3 months.

MicMarine
08-27-09, 07:47 AM
It's "aye aye" on the left coast. Paris Island Recruits are instructed to say "Aye". I guess with all the naval yards around MCRD San Diego it's hard to shake the sailory.

We (Marines) use naval terms. Head, deck, portholes, ect. If you are just saying "Aye" you are wrong. We do not draw it out like the Navy, it fast and quick, to sound like one. I have never let a Marine get away with just saying "Aye". It would be like calling a Gunnery Sergeant, just Sergeant like the Army.

Here is a Drill Instructor from PI (Pleasure Island) saying it the correct and incorrect way. It is two syllables http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnF0eInphg

Here is one from MCRD, San Diego where the Drill Instructor says it slowly then when the Recruit says it the way the Drill Instructor does, he is told fast and louder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QxDzQ7eSU&feature=related

Aye Aye = Acknowledgement of an order or command.

Petz
08-27-09, 08:27 AM
that recruit was staring at the deck in the second video... nasty turd...

anyways, I recall saying Aye sir myself... but I know it's supposed to be two times.... guess I slimed it in boot camp since I said it close to 10,000 times.

but it IS "aye, aye rank/sir"

@ greymatter, it was directed at the poster above bulkykers post... it was just funny that I had to quote it and laugh.

MicMarine
08-27-09, 09:58 AM
that recruit was staring at the deck in the second video... nasty turd....

I think the hat told him to look at the ground because he was avioding them. A turd though. And you just say "Aye, Aye" so fast it sounds like one word, and people think it is one "Aye", but no its two.

Supersquishy
08-27-09, 10:58 AM
Anyone recognize where they are in the second video? haha, I remember them selling candy bars right next to the check out, there was always one numnut to buy one...haha.

rufio14
08-27-09, 12:29 PM
Lol yeah I wonder when that was cause the squad bays in front of the PX are under construction.