PDA

View Full Version : Army vet can continue to fly POW-MIA flag

thedrifter
08-05-03, 07:13 PM
August 05, 2003

Army vet can continue to fly POW-MIA flag

Associated Press

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. — After weeks of dispute, a homeowners association on Monday night agreed to allow an Army veteran to continue flying a a POW-MIA flag outside his house.
“I’m glad it’s behind us,” Ralph McIlvaine said after the Evergreen Association’s Board of Directors made the decision at its monthly meeting. “It should have been a non-issue to begin with.”

McIlvaine and his wife, Dori, agreed to pay the board $1,000 in legal fees and a $50 fine for flying the flag after being told to remove it.

Donations from Hamilton Mayor Glen Gilmore, the Rolling Thunder motorcycle club and others will cover those costs, Dori McIlvaine said.

Last month, board members said they didn’t object to the flag but that the McIlvaines failed to seek permission before displaying it. Association bylaws prohibit any flags except the U.S. or New Jersey flags.

Not everyone in the development association supported the couple. “We had some boos when we walked down the aisle [at the meeting],” Dori McIlvaine said. “It was a long month.”

Still, she said, the dispute was worth it.

“For all those MIAs and POWs, those families don’t have closure ... We have to remember them.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/content/editorial/editart/080503flags.jpg

Ron Carroll, a member of the Rolling Thunder Inc., stands outside the Evergreen housing development in Hamilton Township, N.J. — Michael Nixon, The Times of Trenton / AP photo

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

top1371
08-05-03, 09:58 PM
I am glad there is NO HOA where I live. And believe it or not, I do live in a nice neighborhood. I had friends that had HOAs and were restriced to what color curtain they could put in their windows!

Semper Fi,