PDA

View Full Version : Humps during the Crucible

119Wrestler
08-23-09, 10:01 PM
I know that you hump alot during the crucible, but i was wondering how much of the hikes consist of humping with your assault pack, and how much of it is wit the main pack? This is conserning MCRD SD
Thanks

rayray19
08-23-09, 11:44 PM
all i can say is you have to find out for yourself, no one told me a thing about the crucible not even my own father.

echo3oscar1833
08-24-09, 12:20 AM
Honestly I could give you the sugar coated story, but in reality, I never found it all that easy. I mean yeah I made it through didn't fall back, etc, etc. But in general humps suck, I dont care if your in Boot Camp, MCT, Schools, the Fleet, etc. They All Suck!!, but in the end you will find that you can do it, and thats what matters. All it takes is a little determination, and a little Suck it the Fuc$ up. I always look at it as put on foot in front of the other, and motivate the guys around you. Also just so you know you are carrying more than just an assault pack. Try a Alice Pack (With Frame) tons of gear stuffed in the thing, Sleeping Pad thing, Sleeping Bag System, your half of the Hooch, your Load Bearing Vest, with Mags, Flack Jacket, Turtle Shell (Helmet), Canteens, and most importantly your trusty M16A2 Service Rifle. And if your lucky, and your the Guide you get to carry the Guidon as well. Hope this helps:D

119Wrestler
08-24-09, 01:46 AM
haha yah it helps. I was just wondering cause the other day at the pool function, we did a 5 mile hump with the assault pack. It was a 50 lb assault pack. And it was hard, but wasnt that bad, but nearly all the poolees started falling back or falling out. I stayed in the front the whole time. But it just made me think .... if that was only 50 lbs, and it was hard, humps in the Marine Corps are gonna suck ahha

SlingerDun
08-24-09, 02:04 AM
I've taken tomorrow off and will be humping an empty ruck lined with a plastic bag and two bottles of water. It's wild huckleberry season in the Cascades anywhere from around 1800 feet on up and where abouts is anybody's guess even if you enjoyed a successful harvest last year, bears and ravens can lay waste to a patch in one day.

Berries like to hide in terrain that is often steep and choked with deadfall around the fruit patches. Stickers and stingers about, footing is dynamic, it's stifling hot in the bresh and is it worth it? Oh hell yes, i still get to suck air and "practice" moderate to difficult land nav techniques even if we get skunked on the berry harvest. If you all don't learn to enjoy humpin topography? you'll hate it decades from now.

--->Dave

GREY MATTER
08-24-09, 03:59 AM
all i can say is you have to find out for yourself, no one told me a thing about the crucible not even my own father.

that's because the Crucible wasn't in existance when your father went through.

as far as the humps...you will bring everything there is no such thing as a combat pack in bootcamp.

the biggest hill you go up during the crucible is nothing compared to Mt. Motherf*cker that you will go up during MCT...Humvee's usually cant even make it to the top on the face you will climb

GREY MATTER
08-24-09, 04:08 AM
Boot Camp Shipdate : 20100628
MCRD San Diego
Pull ups 27
Crunches 135
Run time 9:15 first and foremost...you need to stop bragging about your run time in your sig...i did the mile and a half in just over 7 minutes and still only managed a fastest time of 19 flat for the 3 mile run. if you are gonna post your run time you might as well post a run time for a run you will actually do in the Corps. tell your recruiter that you want to run an actual PFT.

but i do want to give you kudos on the pullups. just keep in mind your recruiter doesnt care if you do Marine Corps pullups....you need to lock out your elbows on every down stroke, so dont get discouraged when you do pullups in bootcamp for the first time and they dont count 1/2 of them...it happened to me, and i want to give you fair warning.
i went into bootcamp doing 22 pullups and only managed 13 for my final PFT...your crunches you will be good...hell i can still do 100 in the first minute and im 36 ;)

also...if you can do more than 100 crunches during the pft, dont bother, unless you think you can beat the recruit record.

when i was at MCRD sandy eggo, the record for pullups was 48 and the crunches was 212 (i think)

BR34
08-24-09, 06:26 AM
I was at Pendleton in Feb and March. I shot on Edson Range for a few days, right next to a bunch of recruits on the neighboring ranges. I never once saw a recruit wearing a full pack. Every single recruit I bumped into was pack less, and every hump I saw they were wearing the little 2 day packs.

0231Marine
08-24-09, 08:02 AM
I was at Pendleton in Feb and March. I shot on Edson Range for a few days, right next to a bunch of recruits on the neighboring ranges. I never once saw a recruit wearing a full pack. Every single recruit I bumped into was pack less, and every hump I saw they were wearing the little 2 day packs.

We always had our full packs throughout our time at Pendleton...no exception. We humped our packs out to the range and then staged them in the parking lot during the day while we were shooting or pulling targets.

GREY MATTER
08-24-09, 03:49 PM
i think it just boils down to the MCT instructors...cause i know we took everything everywhere...but of course when i went through they didnt have barracks

Supersquishy
08-24-09, 03:51 PM
i think it just boils down to the MCT instructors...cause i know we took everything everywhere...but of course when i went through they didnt have barracks
They had those Quanset huts right?....their still there last I checked.

BR34
08-24-09, 07:40 PM
We always had our full packs throughout our time at Pendleton...no exception. We humped our packs out to the range and then staged them in the parking lot during the day while we were shooting or pulling targets.

Boot Camp changes. You went through 7 years ago. When I went through we didn't get EGAs till graduation. Now they get them right after the Crucible and are considered Marines from there on. I didn't get issued blues...ANY blues, not even trousers, now they get a complete set. I only had to shoot the KD course, now it's KD + table 2. I didn't have to run a CFT, now...etc, etc, etc.

The only constant in Marine Corps Boot Camp is change.

dizark
08-24-09, 08:39 PM
point is, the Crucible sucks, but if you want it, you'll push your way through it no matter what.

GREY MATTER
08-25-09, 01:39 AM
They had those Quanset huts right?....their still there last I checked.

they still have them, but the ones we stayed in the first night were tore down a few years ago

Supersquishy
08-25-09, 05:21 AM
they still have them, but the ones we stayed in the first night were tore down a few years ago
The ones close to the Chow Hall correct? Ohh forgot about the 2 week mess duty before MCT, stayed in those barracks, then moved to the Q-huts.

Just like BR34 stated, things are always changing in the Corps, it comes from the brilliant new ideas from higher ups. Just saying.

GREY MATTER
08-25-09, 03:09 PM
The ones close to the Chow Hall correct? Ohh forgot about the 2 week mess duty before MCT, stayed in those barracks, then moved to the Q-huts.

Just like BR34 stated, things are always changing in the Corps, it comes from the brilliant new ideas from higher ups. Just saying.

no, the chowhall was a decent length hump from what i remember...

Petz
08-26-09, 12:42 AM
so those of us who did the crucible with alice packs had the option of using day packs?

so, what did that consist of? taking the frame off?

PFC Planter
08-27-09, 02:59 PM
Man this helped alot

coltie52
08-28-09, 08:14 PM
Honestly I could give you the sugar coated story, but in reality, I never found it all that easy. I mean yeah I made it through didn't fall back, etc, etc. But in general humps suck, I dont care if your in Boot Camp, MCT, Schools, the Fleet, etc. They All Suck!!, but in the end you will find that you can do it, and thats what matters. All it takes is a little determination, and a little Suck it the Fuc$ up. I always look at it as put on foot in front of the other, and motivate the guys around you. Also just so you know you are carrying more than just an assault pack. Try a Alice Pack (With Frame) tons of gear stuffed in the thing, Sleeping Pad thing, Sleeping Bag System, your half of the Hooch, your Load Bearing Vest, with Mags, Flack Jacket, Turtle Shell (Helmet), Canteens, and most importantly your trusty M16A2 Service Rifle. And if your lucky, and your the Guide you get to carry the Guidon as well. Hope this helps:D
You still have an A2?