PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Questions

thezero
08-23-09, 02:16 PM
Alright, I have a month or so to go and have a few questions and not a lot of free time to search and stuff while constantly working and prepping myself for Boot Camp.

First, MCT, what is it like and how is it run? Is it similar to Boot Camp or is there more freedom involved. Are personal items allowed, (i.e. - Xbox, cell phone etc.) Do you stay in the barracks/where are your quaters? How long does it last?

Second, MOS school. I have an AF contract (60XX, 61XX and 62XX), my school is in Pensacola, FL. Are you restricted to the base? If you want to leave the base do you need a day pass or something? How long is the school most generally? What is covered there? And again where do you stay, personal items etc.

Third, as of now my graduation date from MCRDPI is set for December 18th. I know we have 10 days of R&R before we have to report to MCT. I should have to report to MCT on December 28th, but I have heard where it is the holidays it may be extended, is this true, how often does it happen?

Now I know you are not allowed to have a vehicle, well it is frowned upon, at MCT/MOS schools, so taking a personal vehicle is out of the question.

I will try to write any more questions I have down and post more here when I get a few minutes of free time, but as of now this is it. I hope there is some good quality replies from those who went through what I am about to do.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa 23
08-23-09, 03:19 PM
Try checking this site out under 'General Info'...
http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/mct2/index.shtml

dizark
08-23-09, 03:39 PM
MCT is considered to be your 4th phase of bootcamp. While you can't be IT'd, you're considered Marines. Training wasn't too bad but when we had to do 12 man working parties certain nights because of screw ups or people being caught with dip. We had to be in the high knee a lot, but it was mostly used as a form of punishment since they can't IT you.

All in all, you might not like MCT as an experience, but once you get to your MOS School, the freedom is much nicer. I'm in 29 Palms and getting off at 1630 each day is great and having weekends off. Enjoy bootcamp and good luck to you. Remember it's all Mental.

Your cellphones get put in their office in a seabag, and we got to use it on the first Sunday there for like 30 minutes. After that, it was put away for the entire month until we got to liberty. You train 7 days a week, unlike the West Coast who gets the weekends off and cellphones all the time.

Supersquishy
08-23-09, 03:49 PM
You train 7 days a week, unlike the West Coast who gets the weekends off and cellphones all the time.

What? For SOI Maybe, not for MCT, Definitely NOT BOOT CAMP. So which one are you talking about?

rufio14
08-23-09, 04:19 PM
SOI West, MCT BN does not get weekends off. They get weekend Liberty. They'll cut you loose for like 6 hours, thats the only time you'll be able to use electronics.

dizark
08-23-09, 05:08 PM
That's what I meant.. I apologize for my miswording.. I'm just hearing this from Marines here who went West Coast.

thezero
08-23-09, 10:06 PM
Also, Wisdom teeth. Should I try to get them take out ASAP (as no later than a couple weeks from now) or wait and have them taken out during boot. Mine are coming in and a big problem outside of crunch time (I don't want to go down whil I am recovering) and they are misaligning my teeth.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Lisa 23
08-23-09, 10:14 PM
I believe if you get them taken out now, you'll have more paper work to fill out before you leave in Sept and it may delay your ship date if there are any problems from having them removed now.

If you wait until boot camp, I'm almost positive you'll get them taken out during 'Team Week', which is training week 8, right after the rifle range. My nephew, who is currently at boot camp, had his taken out during that time, and he graduates on Friday, August 28th!

TJKUSMC
08-24-09, 01:00 AM
In my honest opinion...worry about boot camp first...everything else will come. As my D.I. said when I went through boot camp. "Why worry about SOI and the fleet when you don't even know how to shoot a weapon yet?"

MicMarine
08-24-09, 12:03 PM
That's what I meant.. I apologize for my miswording.. I'm just hearing this from Marines here who went West Coast.

So in other words Dizark you're speaking about things you don't know of.

To "the zero" taking your wisdom teeth out is a waste of your time and money. They will take care of them in Recruit Training, or MOS school.

MCT depends on your instructors, they can be firm or they can be a$$holes. When I was a MCT instructor, I would look out for the kids, but I would go b@lls deep when they screw the pooch. Expect to get treated like the last week of Recruit Training.

When you have time off don't waste your money or time doing some stupid trash. Libo is not a right it is a privilege. Remember you can call mommy and Suzy all you want at MOS school. Xbox at MCT? if you were one of mine, I would come short of ending your life. You are in training to be a combat ready Marine. When you get to your unit, waste your time there, not mine while I am here. WTF...

E-6-O Out!

TJKUSMC
08-24-09, 03:11 PM
Haha an Xbox? You can't be serious...

thezero
08-24-09, 09:22 PM
So in other words Dizark you're speaking about things you don't know of.

To "the zero" taking your wisdom teeth out is a waste of your time and money. They will take care of them in Recruit Training, or MOS school.

MCT depends on your instructors, they can be firm or they can be a$$holes. When I was a MCT instructor, I would look out for the kids, but I would go b@lls deep when they screw the pooch. Expect to get treated like the last week of Recruit Training.

When you have time off don't waste your money or time doing some stupid trash. Libo is not a right it is a privilege. Remember you can call mommy and Suzy all you want at MOS school. Xbox at MCT? if you were one of mine, I would come short of ending your life. You are in training to be a combat ready Marine. When you get to your unit, waste your time there, not mine while I am here. WTF...

E-6-O Out!

Thank you. And where I am covered under Martins Point (The insurance we have from dad being retired Marine) the wisdom teeth would be minimal.

And I know Xbox, phone and stuff isn't priority. I am just trying to get my stuff all sorted and cleaned out and would any prior knowledge will help me decide if I should just go ahead and sell everything, give it away or store it (this would pertain more to personal items).

And does any one know about the extended leave after Boot where the day I am to report to MCT (assuming I graduate on time) is extended or would I have to report on December 28th.

Also any one have any insights on MOS school for 60XX, 61XX, 62XX.

And I know that some of my worries are frivelous, but I would rather leave totally prepared than still trying to take care of stuff before I leave and leave everything half assed and have everyone else to worry about the trash I leave behind.

TJKUSMC
08-24-09, 11:40 PM
CHIILL. Why do you worry so much about stuff that's in the future. See if you can survive boot camp first.

thezero
09-01-09, 08:52 PM
Another one.

If you already have a Navy Federal account, do you have to create a new account or are you able to update/change your current account.

Here is a better question than my first one. What are you permitted to bring to MCT/A-School? I know personal vehicles are out of the question and you don't need them for awhile.