PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions

mcvet57103
08-23-09, 11:14 AM
Ok, after several days pondering this, I thought I would run it up the flag pole and see who salutes it. Are the rank avatars here so that everyone knows what rank a current/former Marine's rank is? If so do we call everybody by rank and name? Or just those who insist on it. And should those who insist on being addressed by rank follow their reasoning and refer to all by their rank also?

My Opinion:

Calling an active Marine by his first name on this site shouldn't be looked at as disrespect no matter what the rank. After all, this isn't an Official USMC site. Most here are not active duty, and wouldn't refer to each other by rank if they met in public unless they are Active Duty, and in uniform. So what do you all think?

ameriken
08-23-09, 11:24 AM
If I were an active duty Marine replying to another active duty Marine, for sure I would use the same protocol as if I were face to face with that Marine, i.e. calling an officer 'sir'. Doesn't matter if we're on an unofficial website or together in an airport.

As for non-active duty Marines, I think we can be more relaxed about it and use screen names or first names, though most of us show the same respect to higher ranks as if we were still active.

GSEMarine94
08-23-09, 11:31 AM
This is a topic that I had to think about recently as well. As most know I have recently earned a commission (National Guard) and had a couple of Marines say I needed to show my bar and others say I should only show the rank I earned as a Marine. After some thought I agreed that I should only show my Marine rank as this is not an official military site.
As far as calling each other by name, I think it will depend on the situation. I tend to use rank until I become friends with a Marine.

SGTMunson
08-23-09, 11:53 AM
I've ran into this on many occasion over the last 26 some years I've been out. While an inpatient in the VA, on sites similar to this, and within my community.

Whether it was my first year in the CivDiv, or 26 years later, I've never been comfortable calling a Higher ranking Marine (enlisted or officer) by their first name. Even when someone insisted on it, It didn't feel right.

I feel safer using the rank as I did when I was active duty; Especially online.

Just for example: I was corresponding via email with a Marine who's rank wasn't apparrent. Since I didn't know his rank, I replied in greeting him only by his last name.

After my reply, I spoke with the Gunny who referred me to him. I found out he was a LtCol. My kneejerk reaction was "damn, I F*$)$ up". Well, thats how I felt at least.

I sent the LtCol another email immediately addressing him by his proper rank and apologizing for the familiar address.

He wasn't concerned, but I was.

---------------------

For me, I'll always feel more comfortable sticking with they way I was taught in bootcamp when I earned the title Marine.

-Mark (S/F)

Wyoming
08-23-09, 01:46 PM
At one time, in the near distant past, rank avatars were all that was available.

ameriken
08-23-09, 02:19 PM
At one time, in the near distant past, rank avatars were all that was available.
Near distant past? :D

Supersquishy
08-23-09, 02:29 PM
Its pretty much a grey area. I think that if you are AD or Reserve and currently in service then you should respect the rank of the other person if they are still in service too and thats when research of the persons profile comes into play before you go posting to them. However since this website is not "Official" then thats when the grey area comes in. I think that descretion is advised,

Now if this was a Marine website for active duty and reserve members still in service only, then thats a different story.

Edit: I agree with AMERIKEN about how even though we don't need to call the person by rank, its just proper etiquette especially towards senior ranks and especially Officers. We were all tought respect for the higher rank in the Marines, That is why the Marines are the best.

Zulu 36
08-23-09, 02:33 PM
I don't really worry about rank anymore. I'll usually address active duty officers by their rank, etc, (i.e. Capt Isrowei for instance - even though that isn't his real last name) as a matter of respect in front of the young active duty Marines on this site.

I retired as a MSgt/E-7 in 1992 from the Air Guard. I retired as a deputy police chief (actual rank title: Inspector, with major's insignia) in 1998. I got used to dealing with high ranking people (military, police, government) more as a peer than as a subordinate.

The only time I think use of our Marine rank is necessary is for the Poolees and Wannabes. They're learning the system, and requiring them to use our ranks is good experience. They aren't Marines yet, so they aren't my peers yet.

Even the young Marines on this site can use my first name for all I care. For purposes of this site, they are my peers - Marines.

Having said all that, I think any rank avatars should reflect our most senior Marine Corps rank only. The signature blocks can reflect other ranks and honors (like GSEMarine94 does).

FistFu68
08-23-09, 04:04 PM
:evilgrin: Call Me anything You want 'cept a "REMF" or Late 4 Dinner :beer: :iwo:

mcvet57103
08-23-09, 06:55 PM
35 years out. I do respect all Marines rank either former or current. "BUT" as a civilian taxpayer, don't all current Marines work for me? Thus, they should be refering to me, no matter what my past rank was, as "Sir". (Just a little fuel thrown on the fire.) SF

Never thought about it till now, but this topic does create a sh!tpot load of arguements. SF

Osotogary
08-23-09, 07:32 PM
mcvet57103,
As a rule of thumb, I always use the "webname" that the person has chosen to use on this website. As time goes on I may abbreviate the "webname" name but only if it is agreeable to the person I am communicating with. If, by chance, the webname has a rank attached to it, then I would address that person using the rank shown. Now, PM's may be handled differently because the communication is only between myself and the person I am communicating and the formalities of comminication may be agreeably lax.
That's about it.

Sergeant M
08-23-09, 08:18 PM
35 years out. I do respect all Marines rank either former or current. "BUT" as a civilian taxpayer, don't all current Marines work for me? Thus, they should be refering to me, no matter what my past rank was, as "Sir". (Just a little fuel thrown on the fire.) SF

Never thought about it till now, but this topic does create a sh!tpot load of arguements. SF

I thought I paid taxes too, perhaps I should address myself as sir. Most Marines call me "M" or "Cpl". I would prefer that Poolees call me "Cpl" or "Corporal". I prefer addressing E-3 and below by their webname/last name because I don't want to feel like I'm trying to pull "e-rank" or put down anyone. I prefer addressing senior ranking Marines by their rank, but I'm still active duty so I haven't broke the habit yet.

ecfree
08-23-09, 08:43 PM
Hey WTF over...We're ALL Marines and we trained to be respectful of each others rank...That means E1 to Commandant....On this site if a Marine( AD )doesn't like to be called anything but by his or her rank,,,so be it...
Aint that right M?...OOOPPPS...CplM....:confused:

Wyoming
08-23-09, 08:58 PM
Near distant past? :D

**** you Ken. :D

You get the weather that came up from SLC.

High wind, lightening, thunder, hard rain and 3 ****ing inch hail.

Sergeant M
08-23-09, 09:05 PM
Hey WTF over...We're ALL Marines and we trained to be respectful of each others rank...That means E1 to Commandant....On this site if a Marine( AD )doesn't like to be called anything but by his or her rank,,,so be it...
Aint that right M?...OOOPPPS...CplM....:confused:

True Story ECFREE!

echo3oscar1833
08-23-09, 09:15 PM
I refer to the rank, somedays, others well that depends on the response I get from other Marines on this site:D Just as Petzold, ooopps, I mean SSgt of Marines Petzold would know. SF btw SSgt:D

Sergeant M
08-23-09, 11:08 PM
Prepare for anal leakage!

Supersquishy
08-24-09, 05:25 AM
Prepare for anal leakage!
Hes gone for a couple days...