PDA

View Full Version : Platoon commander awarded for heroic achievement in Afghanistan

thedrifter
08-22-09, 06:23 AM
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. —

Between March 15 and Aug. 10, 2008, a young officer led his platoon through a highly kinetic battlefield in the Garmsir District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Azada Wosa.

During the first 30 days of the operation, the platoon commander’s leadership was battle tested by the 40 direct-fire engagements that ensued. The Marines of 3rd platoon, Company A, Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, operating under International Security Assistance Force, followed 2nd Lt. Christopher M. Young through the fight.

“This is the stuff you read about in the history books,” said Col. Paul J. Kennedy, 2nd Marine Regiment commanding officer. Kennedy presented the Bronze Star Medal with combat distinguishing device to Young for his actions during the operation, Aug. 14, 2009.

“We inserted in Garmsir at the very end of April, and for about three weeks we were always in some type of fight in the morning and every evening,” said Young.

On May 4, 2008, while providing suppressive fire in support of a route clearance mission to establish the battalion line of communication, Young and his platoon endured a barrage of enemy indirect fire. As rounds impacted in close proximity of Young, he ensured the safety and protection of his Marines while simultaneously directing an artillery attack onto the enemies’ fortified position, successfully deterring enemy fire to allow the route clearance mission to advance.

“The disregard for his own safety for the love of his troops is very admirable, whether it’s your son or not, it’s something to respect,” said Stephen H. Young about his son’s heroics. “Christopher has always been a person that has responded to true principles, the love of his country and the love of his god.”

On May 15, exhausted from a night’s operations behind the enemy’s defensive line, Young successfully employed an ambush on four insurgents, killing two and mortally wounding the others.

“In the midst of all that was happening we caught a fire team of [insurgents] out in an open poppy field coming to man their positions and we successfully [engaged them],” Young recalled.

The following day, he successfully foiled an enemy ambush that attempted to engage his Marines while on patrol.

“An [insurgent] appeared through the tree line about ten meters from me, and he shot at me and [my sergeant],” recalled Young. “He hit [the sergeant], fortunately in the side [small arms protective insert]. We returned fire killing him. Other enemy fighters fled the tree line. We were able to prosecute more enemy who were fleeing from the area.”

Young’s instinct and skills as a battlefield leader stopped the enemy in their tracks, giving his Marines the opportunity for numerous victories. Young said his platoon’s actions secured the company’s southern flank, preventing further assaults by the enemy.

“I will always have this reminder,” said Young about receiving the award. “It will always bring back the faces of 35 Marines that motivated me to give everything I have.

They give me energy and passion. They took care of me. They put it all on the line just as I did. They were right next to me the entire time and sometimes even in front of me.”

Young has a new group to lead now as a first lieutenant. He serves as the platoon commander for the Combined Anti-Armor Team, Weapons Co., 1/6, and his new Marines can rest assured following his closing statements at the ceremony, that their personal well being is a major priority. Young ended by saying his biggest fear was letting down his Marines.

For more information on the II Marine Expeditionary Force, visit the unit’s web site at www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil.