PDA

View Full Version : AG Contract requirements

s2Kenny
08-21-09, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I am poolee Chen and this is my first post on leatherneck.com. I have gone through meps and have a ship date of 20100315. I currently have an open contract and awaiting for new ones to open up in the next coming months.

My question is, under the requirements for an AG contract, I read something along the lines of -"Vision 20/80 (distant) in one eye and 20/100 in the other"- They were referring to uncorrected vision.

My vision is around 20/300 in both eyes and correctable to 20/20.

My recruiter says I am immediately disqualified for that contract. I meet every single other requirements except for the uncorrected vision.

Is there any way I can still work at getting the AG contract (crew chief)?
Wavier? Lasik?

Thank you

Capital M
08-21-09, 09:23 PM
You can get laser vision correction. It needs to be 6 months prior to your ship date (I am actually getting it done on 8/27, ship out march 1st), in order to be approved. Also, PRK ( couldn't tell you the name, different procedure) may be the only one that is waiverable for flying, since it doesn't use the "flaps." Something about pressure, altitudes and speeds that put you at risk for botching LASIK procedure

Keep in mind to be a candidate for either surgery you have to have stabilized vision for about a year, any doctor that tells you otherwise, you wouldn't want them operating on your eyes. This means you have to be around 21, 22 years old, the average age of stabilization. If not, or you aren't a candidate for laser eye surgery, and your eyes don't the requirement, you probably won't get a waiver.

P.S. laser eye surgery is gonna cost you anywhere from $2500-$5000

GyC
08-22-09, 08:06 AM
Gents.. Have we talked with our Recruiters about Lasik?? If you were mine, there's no way I would buy off on it, because it re-opens your profile at MEPS, and DQ's you for 6mos-1 year... Meaning I...

Sgt Leprechaun
08-22-09, 09:26 PM
I do believe I would take that as the FINAL WORD on Lasik/PRK surgery. I'm going to ask this be made a sticky, because Gunny C nails that one perfectly IMO.

GREY MATTER
08-23-09, 05:07 AM
you could learn alot from a gunny

(sorry, i couldn't help myself ;) )