PDA

View Full Version : questions about the CORPS

booker
08-21-09, 06:06 PM
I am stilll going through the process of becoming a Marine. So I'm still waiting.

1.)i have a couple Mos's in mind. motor transport, aircraft/auto mech., Miltary police type, But what i really want to do is something that is gonna train me to do something where i couldn't get at a trade school or college. Basically anything in the infantry but leaning towards recon. My decision is gonna be hard because as soon as i got the idea that i wanted to join. everyone that i know is telling me not to. Does anyone have any info on the infantry aspect of the Marines?What to expect? How can I know if thats what i really wanna do? If that makes any sense!!

2.) is there any way of changing Mos's?

3.) how long are the deployments?

4.) can i really choose where to be stationed? I live about 6 hours from san diego. how hard would it be to get stationed there?

5.) I have a 5 month old son. What job would beneifit us the most?

6.)I have heard that infantry is not good if i want to attend college. Is that correct?

I know ur wondering why i haven't gotten these questioned answered by my recruiter. and i have partially. And he is doing his job. No complaints there. But just want a few other sorces.

Have more questions but they can wait

Thank You

Petz
08-21-09, 06:16 PM
if you're a single dad you can't join....

booker
08-21-09, 06:20 PM
single dad with written consent from his mother with financial information. not sure the details but my recruiter took care of it. didn't lie, on paper i have a son and am not married. but i can enlist. I am right...arent I ??

Lupo22
08-21-09, 07:11 PM
You can have two dependents as a junior Marine. Not sure of the complication of being a single dad that was spoken above me here.

As far as infantry goes, my recruiter and a grunt in our RS told me that if you have to "wonder" if you want to do infantry, don't do infantry.

Obviously its the riskiest in terms of paying the ultimate sacrifice so I would say stay away from the infantry for the sake of your son if you're a single parent. BUT there are plenty of grunt fathers so thats not very good advice I guess.

A technical job like aircraft mechanic or motor T mechanic will help you much more in the civilian world than say being a grunt, unless you want to go law enforcement or fire rescue.

mjhpgh
08-21-09, 07:33 PM
Right now the civilian aircraft industry is overloaded with mechanics

Petz
08-21-09, 07:34 PM
well... let's see... good advice about the grunt field.

you did mention that you didn't want to do anything a trade school could teach you so.... any mech job is out (I'm a MT maint chief) I would say some linguistics or intel if you qualify...

If you got consent from the mother that means she's going to have the child... so yeah, you are good. I thought by the way you mentioned that, that you were actually raising the kid... your fault not mine! :D

um... I would say MT maint is great and fun.... but that's 'cause it's what I know... so I can't help you more than that.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-22-09, 03:16 AM
You can "choose" which coast you'll go to. That's about it.

Deployments are typically six months. However, that's a misnomer, since you have months of predeployment workups that preceed the actual deployment.

You are going to be in the field......a LOT. Even when not deployed.

Biggest question.................WHO is going to take care of your kid during this time?

TazMatt
08-22-09, 08:37 AM
Go Supply 3051 best job in the Corps.

Jdncowboy
08-22-09, 11:57 AM
You should definitely go 1345, Heavy Equipment Operator. That's the best job in the Corps. But I might be a little biased on that one.;)

Petz
08-22-09, 12:01 PM
the positive side to that is that you'd have time behind the wheel of construction equipment that you can take to the civilian world and get a good job at around 24 dollars starting with 4 years experience.... well, that was 5 years ago... it's probably down to 20-22 starting.

Supersquishy
08-22-09, 12:13 PM
I got a Marine Corps license for the Grove 90 ton crane, does that count for anything?

Petz
08-22-09, 12:34 PM
um, sure? loading docks I'd guess....