PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Marine Corps Officer

Fast05GT
08-20-09, 04:39 PM
Hey Marines,
I have got a couple questions about becoming an Officer in the Marine Corps and would love some help if you guys have any free time.
I am currently a Senior at New York Institute of Technology and am in my third internship as an IT Student. I do not want to do this for the rest of my life, I want to be a Marine.
I am an Eagle Scout, a member of the Order of the Arrow and have received numerous other rewards as a Boy Scout, including Senior Patrol Leader my last two years in scouting. I have also attended forums on Defense and Intelligence in which I was nominated by teachers to attend.
I have never been in trouble with the Law or have done any drugs other than alcohol. I also get a physical every yr by a doctor and am 100% healthy.
I haven't contacted an OSO yet as I am very nervous about not being able to fulfill my dream, so I figured I would come directly to the source. Do I have the Requirements needed to become an Officer? This is the only thing I want to do and am considering just Enlisting instead of finishing school to just get in now but am not sure how happy my family would be.

Sorry for the long winded post and talking about myself, which I rarely do but felt it was necessary.

I want to be one of you.:flag:
Thanks for the help,
Michael

stein07
08-20-09, 04:52 PM
Finish school! I repeat - finish school! You are way to close to quit now.

Check out www.marineocs.com for more info. You can also surf the net for OSO websites.

What makes you doubt your ability to "fulfill your dream?"

Fast05GT
08-20-09, 05:05 PM
Hey stein,
Thanks for the response. The only doubt I have is the fear of the unknown and getting turned down for some strange, unseen reason. I feel like a kid before Christmas lol
Thanks again and I'll be checking out that site some more.
Michael

stein07
08-20-09, 05:06 PM
Shoot me a PM if you want to hear a story about that.

Looks like you have a great start.

Petz
08-20-09, 06:34 PM
so... you're in HS? or college?

anyways.. the OSO won't turn you down... they'd love to talk to you about your options... the only time they'd turn you down is if you have serious issues.

I'd recommend you go have a chat with them... they aren't like your enlisted recruiters... they'll be "non-aggressive" from a civilian perspective... not to say enlisted recruiters are aggressive...but I digress...

ColdBlooded
08-20-09, 06:37 PM
Hey stein,
Thanks for the response. The only doubt I have is the fear of the unknown and getting turned down for some strange, unseen reason. I feel like a kid before Christmas lol
Thanks again and I'll be checking out that site some more.
Michael

This is the thing, people that are 70% healthy make it in the Marine Corps. If you are 100% healthy and have never gotten into trouble then you are more than golden. Know that your recruiter will do all in his power to get you in (quota fullfilment) to OCS. Keep your head up and finish what little you have left and come in to be my boss. One thing I want to let you know is that as an officer you have alot on your shoulders. Do not, I repeat, do not come in thinking that you are God when you come in like some officers do. Enlisted bleed just like you do! Keep a sence of respect and your enlisted will work even harder for you and in the end you're the one looking good as well as the section or platoon that works under you.

Petz
08-20-09, 06:39 PM
CB... gettin a little ahead of yourself :D... he needs to talk to the OSO first...

usmcspitfire
08-20-09, 06:59 PM
This is the thing, people that are 70% healthy make it in the Marine Corps. If you are 100% healthy and have never gotten into trouble then you are more than golden. Know that your recruiter will do all in his power to get you in (quota fullfilment) to OCS. Keep your head up and finish what little you have left and come in to be my boss. One thing I want to let you know is that as an officer you have alot on your shoulders. Do not, I repeat, do not come in thinking that you are God when you come in like some officers do. Enlisted bleed just like you do! Keep a sence of respect and your enlisted will work even harder for you and in the end you're the one looking good as well as the section or platoon that works under you.

Woah there!

There are plenty of people who are 100% healthy who get dropped or injured at OCS. Its no joke! Having said that, you can do it if you are physically prepared and meet the standards that they evaluate on. An OSO is not going to do everything he can to get you in if you are not doing everything you can on your part of the deal. So start running and working out and contact an OSO! I work in an OSO office, and they will be more than willing to help you if you are determined to become a Marine Officer.

Semper Fi.

ColdBlooded
08-20-09, 07:36 PM
CB... gettin a little ahead of yourself :D... he needs to talk to the OSO first...

I stand corrected, I'll correct myself.... Talk to an OSO. :)

Fast05GT
08-20-09, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses and for answering the call to keep us free.
With the feedback I've been getting it looks like the wise choice to finish school and (painfully) wait the year out. It will give me some more time to run as that is my only problem atm as I am running the 3 miles in 24minutes. I can max out the pull up and crunches.

I'll probably be contacting the OSO within a week.
Any good way to break this to the parents? lol . I think they might be proud or at the same time my mom might have a heart attack lol

Thanks again, your service to this country is never forgotten
Michael

Petz
08-20-09, 10:31 PM
I'd say talk to the OSO first... tell the folks after you decide what you want after you get the information you need to make your decision.

You can also sell your parents by saying that there are a butt load (don't know the actual figure so I won't skew the point with false info) of CEO in the fortune 500 who are former Marines with a majority of those being former Marine Officers.

Fast05GT
08-21-09, 08:53 AM
I'd say talk to the OSO first... tell the folks after you decide what you want after you get the information you need to make your decision.

You can also sell your parents by saying that there are a butt load (don't know the actual figure so I won't skew the point with false info) of CEO in the fortune 500 who are former Marines with a majority of those being former Marine Officers.

Thanks SSgt, that might go over really good with them. My father was also at 9/11 as a NYPD Officer and am thinking of telling him I want to get some payback. He wants me to become a cop like him, but I figure I'll one up him and become a Marine:flag:
Michael

Petz
08-21-09, 08:58 AM
don't forget to mention that you'll become part of a brotherhood that will transcend your time in service. You will be networking with people and have contacts so you'll be in a power position down the road... you'll have favors from "powerful" people... or other such things.... I think they will be happy you're going officer.