PDA

View Full Version : Making Marines--Parris Island Documentary

Daveyy
08-20-09, 01:43 PM
Hi all, I was wondering where I could download this documentary I saw on TV a long time ago way back before I was interested in joining any service. Its called Making Marines - Parris island. It is broken down into 3 "phases." It was either on the history channel or discovery channel. I cannot find any bit torrents with people seeding it. Any help would be appreciated...especially if you want to seed it for me =)

Lupo22
08-20-09, 01:56 PM
it was on the military channel and it was 90% crap. Take it from someone who DVR'd it and watched it 100x's before boot camp and then went to boot camp :) If you have any questions about boot camp, shoot me a PM and I'll answer what I can.

Other than that, just try youtube here's a start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRccSZgXV4

The funny thing is the Marine that is doing the uniform issue right after the yellowfootprints scene is now an instructor at Parris Island. I had him for a few classes during boot camp. VERY cool Marine and VERY knowledgable about Marine Corps history!!

dizark
08-20-09, 02:12 PM
That also took place in 2002.. It is now 2009.. Things have changed.

Lupo22
08-20-09, 02:27 PM
2001 actually...i remember 9/11 happened while they were at boot camp. So you could be right in that the graduated in 02 :)

But the one I showed is a little closer to our time, especially since I saw a Sgt that I had as an instructor there...he may have been a Cpl at that time if he was doing gear issue?

Daveyy
08-20-09, 02:41 PM
Has anyone seen the documentary "ears open eyeballs click?" There was no narration or "main characters" in it. Just a camera following a platoon around from receiving to graduation. I watched it yesterday...I have to admit it scared me a little bit, but its nothing I think I cant do. Of course I know they didn't show EVERYTHING, but would you say its pretty a good sample of boot camp?

Also, I would still like to see the Making Marines documentary anyway...any and all knowledge of becoming a Marine will help me out!

ameriken
08-20-09, 02:43 PM
Good thread, but should be posted in the 'Ask a Marine' forum. Open Squadbay is a Marine only forum.

Fill out your profile Daveyy and read this.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Daveyy
08-20-09, 02:54 PM
Woops, sorry...move it there if you want to. I read it and filled it out too.

ameriken
08-20-09, 02:55 PM
A mod will get to it....

ameriken
08-20-09, 03:20 PM
Has anyone seen the documentary "ears open eyeballs click?" There was no narration or "main characters" in it. Just a camera following a platoon around from receiving to graduation. I watched it yesterday...I have to admit it scared me a little bit, but its nothing I think I cant do. Of course I know they didn't show EVERYTHING, but would you say its pretty a good sample of boot camp?

Also, I would still like to see the Making Marines documentary anyway...any and all knowledge of becoming a Marine will help me out!
I saw EOEC a while ago.....was well after my time. I think the one thing you can never really be prepared for are the mind games they play.

Nothing to be scared about. Just stay focused, do what you're told, work hard at everything, and you'll make it. :thumbup:

Petz
08-20-09, 03:46 PM
I concur....

Lupo22
08-20-09, 10:43 PM
the mind games are the worst part to tell you the truth...theres just a few physical things that are really hard...Combat Endurance Course with a Kill-hat as my guide comes to mind...running for 3 hours with full gear and no breaks kinda sucks, especially when that canteen you have is emptied after 45 minutes! But, we all made it through, even the fat bodies, so if they did, you can too!

0231Marine
08-21-09, 07:15 AM
2001 actually...i remember 9/11 happened while they were at boot camp. So you could be right in that the graduated in 02 :)

So, if September 11th happened while they were at boot camp, then how the heck did they graduate in 2002? Boot Camp is only 13 weeks.

dizark
08-21-09, 08:48 AM
I think the footage was released in 2002, because I remember now the Sept 11 attacks during the filming of it. Yes, there's another documentary that came out in 2006 I believe but it's only an hour long.

I dislike the Combat Endurance Course with my Senior Drill Instructor.

rufio14
08-21-09, 02:02 PM
I think that Ears Open did a good job of showing boot camp, well at least better than alot of the others...it kinda gives you the flavor of the not so fun glorious parts, it shows the boring stuff. Alot of the other shows about boot show all the "cool" stuff, where as EOEC showed stuff like field day, standing around doing nothing, standing around in the PX, the showers, etc. That stuff you don't normally see in the other shows. I also like that it's at SD :marine:

Lupo22
08-22-09, 12:04 PM
So, if September 11th happened while they were at boot camp, then how the heck did they graduate in 2002? Boot Camp is only 13 weeks.

Haha good point Cpl!

Our SDI's group actually did obstacles during the CEC. We just ran. And ran. And ran. And drank a sip of water. Then ran some more.

That was the first time in boot camp that I was denied a head call (while standing in line for a port-a-john) so I had to **** in the woods. My DI gaves us the whole "Oh, so Lupo wants to do what he wants...get on your face and wait for Lupo to finish watering the trees!" I had to **** soooo bad that I couldn't run! I seriously thought about ****ing my pants but I figured my DI would get in some trouble for denying me a head call so I just went and took the heat for it.

hardcharger1
05-11-11, 08:08 AM
Hmmm.....so,in almost 2 years no one has inquired about "what is bootcamp like,and is there a docu.that depicts Marine Corps recruit training",and no one has put forth an effort to educate any young seekers?Tell it like it is!I never sugar coat my words to someone asking me how it was or what to expect. I have gotten more guys to enlist knowing that it WILL NOT be a cake walk and was thanked that I filled in the blanks that their recruiters left open.I am curious as to whether there any new documentaries out that will give me a glimpse to what Marine Corps recruit training is looking like these days.These poolees need to know that bootcamp documentaries are only a SMALL glimpse of what it's really like.My brothers,the rewards far out weigh the pain.:evilgrin:

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 11:32 AM
One thing EOEC shows that you normally don't see is guides being fired. One guide can't make it through the monkey bars so his DI takes his armband off right there and throws it in the sand. Another one is fired in the squadbay and his armband is thrown on the deck where other recruits scramble for it. You also get a good view of how the guide and squad leaders interact with their platoon during field day and other activities. One scene I enjoyed is recruits identifying objects such as "go-fasters" (running shoes), "surf board" (ironing board), "dragon's tooth" (concrete block that holds the platoon guideon), etc. Speaking of down time, it shows the bus ride from San Diego to CamPen for rifle range and combat training.