PDA

View Full Version : I got an iPhone today...

Lupo22
08-19-09, 08:48 PM
Just wondering if any other Marines have gotten one and what are the "must have" apps that they've come across.

So far all I have is the Facebook app and college football live

I think I did pretty well with my leave, only buying an iPhone and a laptop as my "treats" to myself :)

dizark
08-19-09, 08:51 PM
I ordered my Iphone 32GB in July once coming to my MOS school. Anyways, I love it. I play a game called IMob, and I have Bejeweled 2 on it as it's a fun game while on a plane or something along those lines.

Other than that, just music and movies thus far.

BR34
08-19-09, 09:33 PM
Lupo, your SDI would be proud.

Check out the iheartRA app.

...oh, and seriously, download Heartbreak Ridge. Great travel movie!

Petz
08-19-09, 11:38 PM
I'd love to have the IPhone to be memory card capable.... I don't like storing my movies on the phone itself...

I'm waiting to see if I goto japan... as the iPhone won't work there..

Lupo... you didn't think about that did you?

Marine1955
08-19-09, 11:41 PM
I'd love to have the IPhone to be memory card capable.... I don't like storing my movies on the phone itself...

I'm waiting to see if I goto japan... as the iPhone won't work there..

Lupo... you didn't think about that did you?

must be nice to afford a damn Iphone LOL

Petz
08-19-09, 11:43 PM
they're only 99 dollars for the old 3g phone now... pretty cheap by todays standards... wouldn't be surprised if it were almost half that with a two year agreement.

Lupo22
08-20-09, 06:59 AM
Didint know that Ssgt. But I did keep my old verizon phone still so there's alwyas that.

SGTMunson
08-20-09, 07:49 AM
I looked at the iPhone. My oldest son has one, but I still ended up with a HTC Touch Pro 2 (with an 8gig memory card). I'm very pleased thus far.

What I didn't like is Verizon buying Alltel. I switched to Alltel years ago to get away from Verizon. Now, when they take over fully in October, I'm stuck with them for the next 2 years under contract. :mad:

Petz
08-20-09, 08:23 AM
Didint know that Ssgt. But I did keep my old verizon phone still so there's alwyas that.

it's a whole other network that american phones won't work on...

YutYut
08-20-09, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Oki uses the same technology as Verizon - CDMA. AT&T is a GSM type phone. That's not to say that any Verizon phone will work because I'm pretty sure we use a different part of the spectrum than Japan does. Best to check Verizon's international roaming areas.

Petz
08-20-09, 12:13 PM
if you're gonna be there a phone will run you about 200 bucks a month to have the 'basics' we have here.... I can have my wife take a look...

Lupo22
08-20-09, 02:01 PM
I heard that junior Marines don't go over to Oki too much anymore because of the history that they have of causing trouble there...just what I was told by my SDI (...waits for BR34 to come in with some snide remark lol)

I just threw that in for BR34 ;)

So far I love my Scrabble application...yes, I'm a dorky academic grunt...

Petz
08-20-09, 02:06 PM
they send junior Marines there.... maybe not grunts as much, but each unit needs to have junior Marines... if not then there are units elsewhere that have too many NCOs...

I'm simply saying it's a possibility.

also, be careful about where you put that phone... I lost a leatherman in a port-a-sh!tter when it slide off my belt when I was pulling my pants up....

dizark
08-20-09, 02:10 PM
3 People from my Field Radio Operator class are going to Oki. I know other operators from other classes going there. I'm married, so I knew I wasn't going there, but instead, I'm going to Hawaii. yay! :)

Supersquishy
08-20-09, 02:17 PM
also, be careful about where you put that phone... I lost a leatherman in a port-a-sh!tter when it slide off my belt when I was pulling my pants up....
Well did you go in sleeves up or what?

Petz
08-20-09, 02:21 PM
no... didn't want to go shoulder deep to get a 30 dollar leatherman....

Petz
08-20-09, 02:23 PM
3 People from my Field Radio Operator class are going to Oki. I know other operators from other classes going there. I'm married, so I knew I wasn't going there, but instead, I'm going to Hawaii. yay! :)

hawaii isn't all it's thought to be.... hope you enjoy it... if you can, take the base housing... it's a good 20 min drive to some of the better apartments while on base is super close to everything, and you can walk home drunk from one of the sporting events.

Lupo22
08-20-09, 02:29 PM
ya I forgot about that SSgt...I'm married...u know that ;)

Hawaii would be nice but I heard you don't wanna go there for work if you ever plan to vacation there...plus my wife would DIE to be in Hawaii so I'd have a hard time getting her to go anywhere else so we'll keep Hawaii on teh D/L unless I happen to get stationed there

Petz
08-20-09, 02:31 PM
well HI is under the 3rd divisions command... I think it's mostly a wing det there.................. haha, no I'm just kidding.

keep it secret for sure... don't get her hopes up.

SlingerDun
08-20-09, 02:35 PM
Waiting on the North American release of: Garmin-Asus nüvifone G60

It only packs a 3MP geo-tagging camera and memory's only expandable to 16GB SDHC but oh well:cool:

I'm prepared to ebay a few items and empty the change jug to pay for this unit. Any guesses as to what it will cost?

--->Dave

SlingerDun
10-05-09, 05:39 PM
No Commitment Price $549.99
2-yr Contract Price $399.99
Mail-in Rebate via AT&T -$100.00
Unit Price After Mail-in Rebate $299.99

Color: Black

Two-year contract and new activation required. Mail-in rebate requires activation on a $30 or higher data plan.

*It takes about 2 months to recieve rebate checks from Garmin, don't know about AT&T

0bsolescence
10-06-09, 11:06 AM
In going to Okinawa you have three options in choosing a cell phone provider. Those are AU (http://www.au.kddi.com/english/product/), Docomo (http://www.nttdocomo.com/), and Softbank (http://mb.softbank.jp/en/). Softbank is also the authorized iPhone (http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/?CC_E000=) carrier in Japan.

AU is the CDMA carrier in Japan. Docomo and Softbank are GSM/GPRS based. If you intend on taking a Verizon phone to Japan, I wish you the best of luck in getting it to work. Unlike most carriers in the rest of the world, Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. And unless you can get the phone unlocked, by Verizon or other means, I would say forget about it.

If you're taking an iPhone to Japan, it may be possible to get the official unlock code from AT&T if you explain to them your situation. In which case you would be able just purchase a SIM and a plan from either Docomo or Softbank in Japan. If AT&T is unable to provide you with the official unlock code, you can always jailbreak.

Wyoming
10-06-09, 12:44 PM
I thought Japan was going to Guam.

0bsolescence
10-06-09, 01:59 PM
III MEF Realignment info can be found here (http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/n-america/us/security/scc/doc0605.html).

stretchusa
10-07-09, 08:40 AM
In going to Okinawa you have three options in choosing a cell phone provider. Those are AU (http://www.au.kddi.com/english/product/), Docomo (http://www.nttdocomo.com/), and Softbank (http://mb.softbank.jp/en/). Softbank is also the authorized iPhone (http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/?CC_E000=) carrier in Japan.

AU is the CDMA carrier in Japan. Docomo and Softbank are GSM/GPRS based. If you intend on taking a Verizon phone to Japan, I wish you the best of luck in getting it to work. Unlike most carriers in the rest of the world, Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. And unless you can get the phone unlocked, by Verizon or other means, I would say forget about it.

Hate to Break it to you Bro but seeing as my sister works for Verizon and has worked for them since they were Primeco, I can tell you that they use SIM cards.

YutYut
10-07-09, 08:52 AM
Hate to Break it to you Bro but seeing as my sister works for Verizon and has worked for them since they were Primeco, I can tell you that they use SIM cards.

Negative ghost rider. CDMA cell phones do not require SIM cards to function, and most (all?) Verizon phones don't have SIMs either. If a Verizon (or any CDMA) phone has a SIM card, it's because the phone is CDMA/GSM capable which would be a decision from the manufacturer but is not needed to operate on a Verizon network.

stretchusa
10-07-09, 08:56 AM
Negative ghost rider. CDMA cell phones do not require SIM cards to function, and most (all?) Verizon phones don't have SIMs either. If a Verizon (or any CDMA) phone has a SIM card, it's because the phone is CDMA/GSM capable which would be a decision from the manufacturer but is not needed to operate on a Verizon network.
I stand corrected, I shall now go haze myself into a bloody plup. However before I do so Apple's contract with At&t is almost up and the rumor is that they will open the iPhone up to all US carriers who want it.

YutYut
10-07-09, 11:02 AM
A bloody pulp? No need for all that, good god man! <br />
<br />
I hope that rumor is true, but I fear Apple won't agree to sign with Verizon and some of the others because, Verizon specifically is known for...

Petz
10-07-09, 11:13 AM
I thought Japan was going to Guam.
That link is obviously old, they came out with some new quotes after their preliminary inspection of the Island of Guam. It's going to take another 6 billion to make everything ok for the military. With the new PM of Japan pushing for ALL the bases to include MCAS Iwakuni to go away both the US ambassador and the Government of Japan have concluded that the Agreed upon policy will happen, and in the time frame of 2014 to start moving Marines off the island and onto Guam. This process would take approximately 4 years to complete as MCAS Iwakuni needs to be moved to Okinawa and be re designated appropriately.

I personnally see this happening because it took a lot for us to keep a MCAS on Okinawa that we'll **** the extra money so the new PM/Government can't call renege and push us out completely. The new PM wants to push to amend their constitution to have their own military, they narrowly lost the vote last year I believe it was, and that was due to the old government was opposed to it.

stretchusa
10-07-09, 11:22 AM
Apple went to Verizon first but was turned down, due mainly to the maintence issues with the phone. I.E. no phone insurance through the provider only through Apple, Apple and Apple only can work on...

Petz
10-07-09, 11:26 AM
yeah, one problem is that the screen is not insured by Apples protection plan, and it costs as much to repair/replace as a new iPhone. If they provided insurance to replace the phone I'd say they'd lose so much cash. What they need to do is use a polymer instead of LCD. OLED would be great I think so long as they don't use glass.

Wyoming
10-07-09, 12:52 PM
That link is obviously old, they came out with some new quotes after their preliminary inspection of the Island of Guam. It's going to take another 6 billion to make everything ok for the military. With the new PM of Japan pushing for ALL the bases to include MCAS Iwakuni to go away both the US ambassador and the Government of Japan have concluded that the Agreed upon policy will happen, and in the time frame of 2014 to start moving Marines off the island and onto Guam. This process would take approximately 4 years to complete as MCAS Iwakuni needs to be moved to Okinawa and be re designated appropriately.

I personnally see this happening because it took a lot for us to keep a MCAS on Okinawa that we'll **** the extra money so the new PM/Government can't call renege and push us out completely. The new PM wants to push to amend their constitution to have their own military, they narrowly lost the vote last year I believe it was, and that was due to the old government was opposed to it.

What link? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Japanese+Base+to+Guam&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=)

Petz
10-07-09, 01:04 PM
the one in the post right after your post I quoted. I take it you didn't read the article. oh well.

Wyoming
10-07-09, 01:18 PM
So why did you not address the link poster.

Confusion abounds, SSgt XXXX XXXXXXX!!

Petz
10-07-09, 01:20 PM
haha, getting into the AD SNCO mind-set Al. :D

well, I figured since I was addressing you Al that I'd quote your question. That's another reason why I was as thorough as I was in my explanation.