PDA

View Full Version : Is There MSG In The Food At Boot Camp?

LoveOfCountry
08-19-09, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know if they use Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) as a preservative in the food at boot camp?

Trucrimsongold
08-19-09, 10:49 AM
No but they used to say they put "salt peter" or whatever its called that they put in a prisoners food to keep the "libido" down. I can not confirm or deny the accuracy of this urban legend. Im sure a Cook in here who worked at Paris Island or San Diego MCRD can answer both questions.

thewookie
08-19-09, 10:57 AM
I would say, yes --

MSG is found in most soups, salad dressings, and processed meats; in some crackers, bread, canned tuna fish, most frozen entrees, ice cream, and frozen yogurt. It is often used in "low fat" foods to make up for the flavor lost when fat is reduced or eliminated.

Seems to me that it's in just about everything we eat. Unless you are a rabbit.

LoveOfCountry
08-19-09, 11:15 AM
We it is in most processed, heavily preserved foods. I've never heard of it being in Ice Cream, bread, tuna or yogurt though. What is your source on that?

I have studied the stuff pretty thorough and never ran across it being in those foods.

Soups, flavored cracker (cheez its, etc.) and salad dressings definitely have it.

I don't eat salad though. Maybe I'll start at boot camp???

thewookie
08-19-09, 11:55 AM
http://www.allfoodbusiness.com/food_additives_preservatives.php

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/II.WhereIsMSG.html

MSG can be used (and hidden) in processed food, dietary supplements, cosmetics, personal care products, and drugs. It can be used in waxes applied to fresh fruits and vegetables. It can be used as ingredients in pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, and plant growth enhancers -- remaining in the edible portion of the plant or on the edible portion of the plant when its leaves, fruits, nuts, grains, and other edible parts are brought to market.

The glutamate industry is adamantly opposed to letting consumers know where MSG is hidden

NoRemorse
08-19-09, 11:56 AM
You'll learn to eat and stomach a lot of stuff in Boot.

Interesting question; definetely the first time I've heard it. Anything I say regarding this question would be either hearsay or conjecture.

Petz
08-19-09, 11:59 AM
oh, and all those things you mentioned that don't have it... you might have bread... if they didn't run out.

many many times in 3rd bn we ran out of enough protein based foods for our plt... we were the last to chow... per the training schedule.

0231Marine
08-19-09, 12:45 PM
We it is in most processed, heavily preserved foods. I've never heard of it being in Ice Cream, bread, tuna or yogurt though. What is your source on that?

I have studied the stuff pretty thorough and never ran across it being in those foods.

Soups, flavored cracker (cheez its, etc.) and salad dressings definitely have it.

I don't eat salad though. Maybe I'll start at boot camp???

Yeah, because you'll have lots of time to stand up there and make a salad.

If you're lucky, you're going to have about 30 seconds to go through the line, stick your tray out and ask politely for the chow hall workers to dump some food on your plate, then show it to your DI waiting at the end of the line for his approval, find a seat, put your tray down, go back and get a cup and put some liquid in it, go back to your seat, sit your butt down with your feet at a 45 degree angle, and your left hand on your left knee. Always remember that you will use two hands for everything. God help you if you drop something in the DI's chow hall.

Then you get your 5 minutes (if you're lucky) to shove as much food as possible into your disgusting sewer that you call a mouth while not looking up from your tray.

Remember that when one person is done at your table, you all are done. Also, if the guide is done, your entire platoon is done and you better believe that when your DI says you're done (even if you just sat down) then you are done until next chow. You better learn to be the fastest if you want to eat more. Remember that food is energy so just shovel it in there.

Petz
08-19-09, 12:55 PM
the guide is the last one to eat, so don't worry too much about that... trust me, you'll each get time enough to sustain yourself.... oh, and no talking...

your DI will more than often tell the tables they are done even if there is chow left, unless you are a double rats recruit... in which case you NEED to eat all the chow... and like 0231 said... before the guide is done.

ggyoung
08-19-09, 01:46 PM
You have no need to worry about anything you eat at boot camp. The DI's will PT anything that is bad for you.

LoveOfCountry
08-19-09, 04:33 PM
Sounds fun. I love getting yelled at while I eat. In fact, my favorite meal is consumed while in the front leaning rest ;)

Good for me that I grew up literally eating on the run, standing up, in a car, etc. I shouldn't have any trouble with that... but wow... I'm sure it is strange to eat at a sit down place after boot camp without rushing through like an animal to finish in 2 minutes.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated.