PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Bill, ETEAM encourage college for veterans

thedrifter
08-19-09, 06:17 AM
G.I. Bill, ETEAM encourage college for veterans
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
August 18, 2009 5:15 PM
AMANDA HICKEY

Marine Corps Installations East officials expect that the combination of joining with the University of North Carolina system and the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill is going to cause the number of Marines enrolling in North Carolina universities to increase.

“(This is) similar to after World War II. A lot of the GIs coming back from World War II used the GI Bill and went to college and became the leaders for the next many years in government and statewide elements. … The veterans came back, went to school and became the leaders that we (have) known for the last 20 and 30 years,” said David Schock, MCI East Regional School Liaison Officer.

Schock said he hopes that Elite to Elite Academic Mission, where Maj. Gen. Carl B. Jensen will hand-pick Marines set to leave the service to attend UNC schools, combined with the benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill will cause a similar effect for the veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Through the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which took effect in April, veterans could receive $4,500 directly while $4,000 is paid on their behalf by the Department of Veterans Affairs when in-state tuition costs up to $5,800, according to the VA. Through the Montgomery GI Bill, veterans receive $1,884 directly.

Marine Corps Installations East is currently taking applications for ETEAM, and Schock expects that the increased benefits will encourage Marines to take advantage of the opportunity.

“Of course we want to keep all the good ones but, of course, not all the good Marines want to stay in the Marine Corps. Some of them want to get out and pursue other things,” he said.

Contact Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com.

Ellie