PDA

View Full Version : As Battle Rages, Anxiety GrowsReported by: Andrew Pereira

thedrifter
08-18-09, 07:13 AM
As Battle Rages, Anxiety GrowsReported by: Andrew Pereira
Email: apereira@khon2.com
Last Update: 8/17 7:21 pm

Since being deployed to Afghanistan in May, Kaneohe Marines with the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Regiment have paid a heavy price.

Six Marines and one U.S. sailor based at Marine Corps Base Hawaii have been killed in action in just the past two-and-a-half months.

Last week hundreds of Marines with the 2/3 engaged the Taliban for control of the strategic town of Dahaneh in southwestern Afghanistan ahead of the country’s presidential election this Thursday. Since the battle began communication with loved ones back home has been disrupted.

"With the activity last week there was a lapse and I was like, 'wait a minute I'm a seasoned pro at this. I shouldn't have the difficulty I'm having this week,’” said Misti Cauthon, whose husband Mike Cauthon is a gunnery sergeant with Golf Company.

The lapse in communication is especially hard for those wives who have never experienced their husbands going off to war.

“They're seeing these battles (and) they don't know what to expect,” said Kea Matory, whose husband Cpt. William Matory has been deployed to a war zone on multiple occasions. “They don't know whether their husband's coming come.”

The latest MCBH casualty was announced Monday by the Defense Department.

Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard, 21, of New Portland, Main died August 14 while supporting combat operations in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province.

Five other Kaneohe based Marines have been killed in Afghanistan since early June, all of the deaths combat related:

Lance Cpl. Joshua R. Whittle, 20, died June 6. Cpl. Matthew R. Lembke, 22, died June 10. Lance Cpl. James D. Argentine, 22, Lance Cpl. Travis T. Babine, 20, and Sgt. Jay M. Hoskins, 24 all died August 6 from a roadside bomb.

U.S. sailor Anthony C. Garcia, 21, died August 5. He was a corpsman attached to the 2/3.

With a mandate to protect Afghan civilians at all costs, especially while calling in air strikes, Kaneohe Marines are putting themselves at even greater risk. That is why communication back home is more important than ever.

"If (relatives) don't hear from their loved one in a three to four week time frame then they can e-mail me and I will e-mail forward and do a well check,” said 2/3 family readiness officer Audra Krueger.

Krueger says the use of Skype, a computer based video phone service allows Marines to stay connected with their loved ones like never before.

“The families are really enjoying it,” she said, “especially the kids. It keeps the kids in touch with dad so they're able to see daddy and not miss him quite so much.”

Cauthon told Khon2 the use of Skype has been a godsend for her ten year old daughter Maddison. “It's really great,” she said. “She has a ball just in there waving at daddy.”

Although Matory has yet to Skype with her husband William from Afghanistan, she says the video phone service has helped raise morale during a tense time for Kaneohe Marines.

“Skype is great when they can (use it),” she said. “What becomes mundane to us is very important for them because that keeps them connected with the real world.”

Matory and her husband have two daughters, ages 2 and 4. Makaela, the oldest, appreciates the fact she can see her “daddy” on the computer.

“What do you like telling daddy,” Matory asked her daughter. “I love him,” responded Makaela.

It’s the kind of support relatives of Kaneohe Marines hope will resonate throughout the rest of nation.

“You know the guys are still over there and they're still fighting,” said Cauthon. “We're back here supporting them as best we can and we'd like the same from the community.”

Andrew may be reached at ph. 368-7273.

Ellie