PDA

View Full Version : I need some help understanding how Labor Day leave will work...

Lupo22
08-17-09, 08:14 PM
Hey, for those of you that know, my mother has cancer and just started her Chemo. I want to go visit her with my leave over Labor Day but I will be at SOI. Does leave still work the same as it does in the Fleet for SOI? Will I get liberty all weekend and monday or will I get a 96?

How does that work? I just was curious so I could try and make arrangements to see her (she lives 5 hours from Jacksonville NC)

Thanks S/F

StoneTheWeak
08-18-09, 07:10 PM
Put in special liberty. I don't know how SOI works, but all the time I've been in training I have been allowed to put in special lib for 96's and 72's. I can put it in on the weekends too if I have family coming down. Talk to your instructors. If they at first say no, explain the situation and see if they'll help you out. Worst that happens is they tell you no. Regrettable I know, but it happens.

earningthetitle
08-18-09, 08:44 PM
If your at MCT its a pretty sure bet that you won't be able to because they don't really take breaks for holidays because its only a month long. But if your at ITB you might have a chance. At least thats how it was explained when I went to MCT. You'll be able to take right after your MOS school.

Lupo22
08-18-09, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys...I will be at SOI ITB as I'm an 0300. I'll put in for special liberty and hope it works. My command during boot camp was extremely helpful and even arranged a special meeting for my mom to break the news too me right after our Mot. Run so that I had some time alone with her instead of with the whole family (divoriced families makes that ackward).

Petz
08-19-09, 06:02 PM
PM 0331.... his whole name is numbers so... he's a gunny... he should be able to get you an accurate response.

TJKUSMC
08-19-09, 09:32 PM
In the fleet we just put in an out of bounds request...It may be different for SOI, but if its a legit reason like you have then im sure you will be fine..just pass it up the coc..tell your instructors and they will talk to your plt sgt. ect.

Petz
08-20-09, 11:49 AM
he's not in the fleet.... and he's asking about specifically SOI.... "...It may be different for SOI..." well I guess you don't know... helpful info in the future... speculation doesn't do **** but confuse people.

Lupo22
08-20-09, 08:44 PM
he's not in the fleet.... and he's asking about specifically SOI.... "...It may be different for SOI..." well I guess you don't know... helpful info in the future... speculation doesn't do **** but confuse people.

LOL thanks SSgt...I didn't even catch that!! I'm glad I somewhat befriended you on here...what would be your advice though SSgt? I've been told in SOI you're treated like Marines and get liberty on weekends but do we get leave as well...hmmmm

Petz
08-20-09, 10:37 PM
if you get holidays (which i would assume so that's like 5% there) then they should allow out-of-bounds chits to those who have plane tickets... but I would recommend you call SOI and find someone who can help you out. Tell them when you are getting there, try to find your assigned Plt Sgt and give him the scoop and see if you would be wasting your money or not on a plane ticket or not. Given your situation I think they'd be willing to at least entertain the idea.

hope this is a bit more helpful... but not a solid answer.

Lupo22
08-20-09, 10:40 PM
if you get holidays (which i would assume so that's like 5% there) then they should allow out-of-bounds chits to those who have plane tickets... but I would recommend you call SOI and find someone who can help you out. Tell them when you are getting there, try to find your assigned Plt Sgt and give him the scoop and see if you would be wasting your money or not on a plane ticket or not. Given your situation I think they'd be willing to at least entertain the idea.

hope this is a bit more helpful... but not a solid answer.

Best idea so far SSgt!! Always a huge help for me! (now waiting for BR34 to come in and tell me I should tattoo your name on me as well lol)

SSgt Ramsey
09-04-09, 06:08 AM
I was never a SOI instructor, but a part of a training command for a while in a unit now that no longer exists, VMGRT-253.

Anywho...we had cases like this come up from time to time, and each was handled on a case-by-case basis.

Usually, if the command deemed it a bonifide emergency or necessity, the Marine's was issued a special libo chit and also put in a set of "dummy" leave papers worst case scenario and round-trip plane tickets within the prescribed time limits.

Again, I don't know how SOI will deal with this, but there are options out there available...just takes some concerned leadership and some groundwork to make it happen.

GSEMarine94
09-04-09, 09:23 AM
If your at MCT its a pretty sure bet that you won't be able to because they don't really take breaks for holidays because its only a month long. But if your at ITB you might have a chance. At least thats how it was explained when I went to MCT. You'll be able to take right after your MOS school.

Must be a new thing as I got a 72 for Labor day while at MCT.

Petz
09-04-09, 09:27 AM
I don't recall having liberty, but you get to sit around doing nothing.

GSEMarine94
09-04-09, 09:42 AM
I don't recall having liberty, but you get to sit around doing nothing.

That was your MT school, preparing you guys for the fleet. By the way real mechanics go air wing :marine:

Petz
09-04-09, 09:45 AM
well, at least I got to go home at 1630 every day, had half days on fridays before a holiday, got an hour and a half for noon chow, worked only if there were vehicles needing repairs (unfortunately that was VERY rare mostly short funds), and didn't have to go play in the field for training.

I love my job.

GSEMarine94
09-04-09, 09:58 AM
well, at least I got to go home at 1630 every day, had half days on fridays before a holiday, got an hour and a half for noon chow, worked only if there were vehicles needing repairs (unfortunately that was VERY rare mostly short funds), and didn't have to go play in the field for training.

I love my job.

NOW I see why your reenlisting.

Petz
09-04-09, 10:05 AM
hahaha, suuure you do.

StoneTheWeak
09-04-09, 11:24 AM
We have half days every friday. But that's because phrog's are the bastard children of Marine Corps aviation....

I spent Christmas at Camp Guard before I picked up for MCT then spent New Years getting my gear issued I believe.

Petz
09-04-09, 11:29 AM
haha.

I like the spirit.

Lupo22
09-05-09, 10:30 AM
well its labor day weekend and im waiting in the hotel lobby of hte ramada inn with my wife waiting for our room...this training is much more fun that PI obviously but our instructors run a tough camp. Probably good for most of us though

Petz
09-05-09, 04:02 PM
haha, hope you enjoy the weekend, don't go making babies!

Rocky C
09-05-09, 04:07 PM
Petz, what are you doing here????
I said goodbye to you this week.
Didn't you get Sworn Thursday???

Petz
09-05-09, 05:40 PM
the 11th... :( such is life when the game of numbers is played. Don't blame them, it's their job to make mission and I want to help if there's no way around it.

Rocky C
09-05-09, 05:57 PM
Oh, well glad your still here to jack threads Bro :)
So your Swearing Back in on 9/11 ? NICE!!!!

Lupo22
09-05-09, 08:28 PM
Thanks Ssgt. Where u gonna be stationed at?? I'm prayin for n.c so I can keep tabs on my mom

Petz
09-05-09, 11:18 PM
oki.

@RI, omnious isn't it?

flyby
09-06-09, 03:37 AM

Uncalled for.

Petz
09-06-09, 09:34 AM
the only thing that is uncalled for is the speculation comment as I do that often. but why do YOU say that?

Rocky C
09-06-09, 03:20 PM
oki.

@RI, omnious isn't it?

MONUMENTAL Brother!!!

Marine84
09-06-09, 06:23 PM

I love my job.

OH! I see they still issue skates too - LOL!