PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions: Expert "award" bars on shoot badge/ribbons on shirts 24/7?

Achped
08-16-09, 04:30 PM
My first question is, I am a 3 award expert and 1 time pistol expert. For my alpha blouse/dress blues, do I have to wear expert award bars? Is it recommended? Is it not allowed at all?

Personally its a pain in the ass making them, but that 3rd award bar is something I'd like to have when checking into my new unit.

Also, lets say someone wanted to come in and look at all my uniforms in my wall locker. Is it expected that every shirt and blouse will have ribbons (and badges where applicable) on them?

Pete0331
08-16-09, 04:50 PM
My first question is, I am a 3 award expert and 1 time pistol expert. For my alpha blouse/dress blues, do I have to wear expert award bars?

Yes.

Also, lets say someone wanted to come in and look at all my uniforms in my wall locker. Is it expected that every shirt and blouse will have ribbons (and badges where applicable) on them?

No.

Supersquishy
08-16-09, 04:52 PM
Id wear the 3rd award bar, it takes two minutes to put it on, you just need a good set of needle nose pliers so you don't srew it up.

But to answer your question, Im not too sure, I had a 2nd award bar on my expert badge for ever, even though I am 3rd award expert, First we never wore our Uniforms, just cammies 99% of the time, Second the only way theyd know is if they pulled everyones records and match what they rate to what there wearing. Just don't get caught wearing something you don't rate.

i think the only uniform that needs all the badges and ribonns are the uniforms that are mentioned for inspection, I don't think every single uniform peice needs the stuff on it..........but things change so not 100% sure. Wheres Pezold!!!!

Achped
08-16-09, 05:02 PM
Very well.

Other than for duty, we never wear any service uniforms either. I've worn my alphas for about 45 minutes the entire time I've been in the Marine Corps. Never worn the blues at a unit function ever, nor have I ever worn bravos.

I'm just trying to get all my stuff squared away before I leave, and so I can **** with all the junior Marines one last time ;)

"Hey Marines, Alpha inspection, tomorrow 0600."

lololol!

Petz
08-16-09, 05:39 PM
when you get to your MSG post you'll probably be wearing whatever the uniform of the day is.... you will wear ribbons often and it'll take time to get them from the US to where ever... get a small fishing tackle box and each compartment you have 5-10 ribbons of each that you rate, devices (they get knocked off easily) and any you might need in the future, ribbon bars (had some pins break off just before I was sword detail at the Ball this year) to include one or two for a ribbon or two more than what you have, range badges with some extra awards bars, and only one set of mounted ribbons... those cost too much and you'll always have the option to be in Bravos.... but having them for the ball (incase you aren't in the ceremony... hahaha yeah right...) or other social engagement with dignitaries that require you to be in alphas.

but, um... when you mount the awards bar pinch it flat so it won't spin around on you and you get hit from some anal bastard....

Achped
08-16-09, 07:21 PM
Damn, just spent 80$ at the uniform store.

I got the 3rd award badges and have 4 sets of ribbons, 1 for blues, 1 for alphas, 1 for bravos and 1 for charlies. I have 3 pistol and 3 expert badges (with qualification bars).

I need to get my medals mounted now, do they put the devices in them or do I do that myself?

Also, the old ribbon bars that I have place the 2nd row directly on top of the 1st row. The new bars I bought have a 1/8" gap between the first and second row. Which is "Correct"?

Petz
08-16-09, 07:25 PM
goto the MCA and have them do it... 24 dollars to become a member and you get a discount (great time to get the membership 'cause you're gonna pay about 100 dollars)

you get the member cost for the mount, and then you get the new member discount...

they will do everything for you. they can do a flat mount on ribbons so you alphas look squared away when you wear your medals 'cause those will be flat as well... they will mount the devices for you.

in all other uniforms I have the ribbons I did... since there are not flat mounted medals I don't need to worry about the ribbons looking different.

you can have no gap, or the 1/8" gap... which ever you want. both are authorized.

Achped
08-16-09, 07:34 PM
That post confused me more than anything else I've ever read before in my life.

MCA? Mount? What's 100$? Mounting medals? Member cost? Flat mount? Ribbons?

Your'e talking about "flat mounting" the ribbons that don't have a medal on my alphas?

Pete0331
08-16-09, 09:55 PM
Damn, just spent 80$ at the uniform store.

I got the 3rd award badges and have 4 sets of ribbons, 1 for blues, 1 for alphas, 1 for bravos and 1 for charlies. I have 3 pistol and 3 expert badges (with qualification bars).

Uh, why?

I need to get my medals mounted now, do they put the devices in them or do I do that myself?
Ask, some of them will, some of them won't.

Also, the old ribbon bars that I have place the 2nd row directly on top of the 1st row. The new bars I bought have a 1/8" gap between the first and second row. Which is "Correct"?

Both are, it comes down to personal preference.

Any questions?

Achped
08-16-09, 10:24 PM
Nope.

To answer yours, I'm just weird like that. I like having ribbons and badges on my alphas and blues at all times. So if there's some bull**** inspection I don't have to run around like an idiot. And then we wear our charlies so much for barracks duty it can't help to have two sets for that.

Perhaps it'd be a little different if I was at 4 rows like you are ;)

Pete0331
08-16-09, 10:44 PM
Nope.

To answer yours, I'm just weird like that. I like having ribbons and badges on my alphas and blues at all times. So if there's some bull**** inspection I don't have to run around like an idiot. And then we wear our charlies so much for barracks duty it can't help to have two sets for that.

Perhaps it'd be a little different if I was at 4 rows like you are ;)

It gets expensive, the $.59 (or whatever they are now) adds up quick.

A quick tip on ribbons:
Spray them down with Scotch Guard, it will keep the colors from running on your uniform if they get wet.

Use the foam ear plug or card stock backing trick always.

Petz
08-16-09, 11:03 PM
that's funny.... I have never had ribbons run.... what brand do you buy? the loose ones or the ones in the boxes? there is a difference.

as for the backer... it's nice... but I rarely use one... that all depends on the fit of the shirt and the size of your chest I suppose. I've seen backers that don't do anything but stick out of the shirt... as in, instead of holding the ribbons flat the ribbons pull out the backer so you can see the corners.

Petz
08-16-09, 11:07 PM
That post confused me more than anything else I've ever read before in my life.

MCA? Mount? What's 100$? Mounting medals? Member cost? Flat mount? Ribbons?

Your'e talking about "flat mounting" the ribbons that don't have a medal on my alphas?

Marine Corps Association... they have a section in each main-side PX in the Corps... they mount medals (or contract it out usually) and if you're a member you get a member discount... and when you become a new member you get 10% off your purchase... so you get 10% off the mounting of the medals... and ribbons.

and I meant your Blues "A".... your service uniform can be the normal ribbons, but you should have the flat mounted medals and ribbons for your dress blue alphas... and if you're so inclined to get a flat mounth ribbon bar in case you are ever in the sword detail it will look sharp...

but don't pay to have ribbons mounted unless in conjunction with having medals mounted.

you don't have flat mounted medals with normal ribbons... it's just not right.

marine95
08-16-09, 11:22 PM
For someone who claims he is an E-4 and using the Air Force logo, why are we even entertaining this clown? I guess if he is a Marine then he hasn't been to any formal schools or he would know these answers.

Petz
08-16-09, 11:24 PM
satire 95... it's satire. his sig is supposed to do a better job at lending to it.

I think it's kinda funny... now if his sig said somthing negative about the Corps then I'd take offense.

Pete0331
08-17-09, 12:17 AM
For someone who claims he is an E-4 and using the Air Force logo, why are we even entertaining this clown? I guess if he is a Marine then he hasn't been to any formal schools or he would know these answers.

I haven't been to a formal school and I know these answers.
Basic, basic crap.
But I'm here to build up and not tear down.

Supposedly he is going to be promoted to E-5 sometime soon.
Mother of God.

Achped
08-17-09, 02:30 AM
Just wanted to clarify this stuff, not like I'm completely lost in the dark on it all.

I don't spend much time doing "Marine Corps" things. They don't teach you anything about expert award bars or getting your medals mounted or flat mounted ribbons and I haven't taken the time to find out for myself. (I suppose I'm doing that now?) These are all things you learn from experience. And if I ever go to a ball I would know this (it looks like I'll be missing this upcoming one too)

We didn't wear our blues at our last ball.

Petz
08-17-09, 08:53 AM
he's got a point... you don't get taught this stuff in PME resident courses either.... it's shared info.

0331 2 0369
08-17-09, 09:04 AM
Having that many sets of "mounted" ribbons isn't a bad thing. A little overboard but that not bad in this situation. You mentioned keeping your ribbons on your uniform..... be careful with your shirts. If you leave the ribbon bars on, sometimes they tend to form a little surface rust on the post. That will then leave a rust mark on your shirt. I always kept a couple of sets of "mounted" ribbons myself. For my shirts, I would put on a set and get it just right. Then I would wiggle the ribbon bar around a little to make the holes in the shirt a little more noticeable. Then I would take off the ribbon bar and put it away in my "tackle box" like wath SSgt P mentioned. The holes are still easily visible in my shirt the I would hang it back up till I needed it. Pull out the shirt..... put the ribbon bar back on the the holes previously made.... then off to duty or inspection or whatever I need to wear that particular uniform for.

Petz
08-17-09, 09:22 AM
they have plastic mounts if you're brave/stupid enough for those.... I used it once when I had 3 ribbons... yeah, it broke after the first use.... but others might have better luck with'em.

SgtThrasher
08-17-09, 09:36 AM
A NCO from my era knew these kinds of things about Marine Corps uniform protocol .

Petz
08-17-09, 12:27 PM
huh? probably because they comunicated about that sort of thing... Marines now-a-days are individuals... they don't go do things as a unit and after hours they don't talk about work.... it's just the way it is... talking crap about an AD Marine NCO won't change that... I know you guys hope Achped can change the course of the Marine Corps but he just can't do it.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-17-09, 11:05 PM
If this turns into a pizzing match about 'knowledge' I'll shut it down. The questions being asked are legit ones, that are NOT the Marine asking them's 'fault' by any means that he doesn't know. His unit (like many) has lately been concerned with warfighting and not wearing Alpha's Charlies or whatever.

Further, even in the 80's, AND the late 90's, most Marines didn't know alot of the little tricks on mounting their own ribbons. Some of the stuff they found out the hard way (azz chewings) others by trial and error. This section is MY playground and if you aren't giving constructive answers, you needn't provide commentary.

Nuff said.

Achped, buying extra sets of ribbons is an excellent idea. You are gonna need them for sure in MSG school, you can guarantee that. While you'll get some extra uniforms issued the ribbons/medals are up to you to get. If you are getting medals, hopefully you got anodized ones. Get them mounted professionally, it'll be worth the time and trouble.

As far as putting the ribbon bars on your uniforms, I wouldn't. They can make the shirt go out of shape at times, and they stand a good chance of getting dusty or possibly hozed up by hanging in the closet (believe it or not).

If you haven't built a 'cheat rack' yet, take a piece of cardboard, (or plastic, your choice), and properly mount your ribbons and shooting badges on it (using a ruler and not the Mark I eyeball). Once that's done, you'll never have to worry about 'proper spacing' on your charlie shirts again. Just set up and go.

If you don't also already have a small tackle box or junk box for your ribbons/badges/misc parts, go to wallymart (or the px) and buy one. A clear box with a lid that costs about a buck will save you money in the long run and keep your stuff clean.

Achped
08-18-09, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the advice all, Sgt Lep, I like all your ideas but Im confused about the "Cheat rack?"

Mount it on plastic? What good would that do? Wouldn't you have to take it off the plastic to put it on the shirt?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-09, 12:53 AM
Yes, you have to take it off the plastic to mount it on the shirt, but the plastic will keep the ribbons in one place, and make it look neat and squared away. Your ribbons/badges will be in the same place every time.

You just line the plastic up underneath the shirt fabric, and push the ribbon bar pins through the holes you already have in the plastic. Hard to visualize unless you see it but hopefully that gives you the 'jist' of the idea.

Quinbo
08-18-09, 05:52 AM
With the marpat belts web belts are not so prominant. You still need one or two for dress uniforms and you still have to cut them to length. 2-4 inches beyond the buckle. That spare piece of web belt makes a tried and true ribbon backing. Don't go all chesty pullar and get a 4 wide ribbon bar. Those can only be worn by CMC authorization and generally are only authorized if you rate beyond 20 ribbons. Plugging them into your uniform shirts or blouses on a long term basis will create rust stains. Ribbons on shirts is a gig for wall locker inspections unless every swinging dick has them set up that way and it is still a gig.