PDA

View Full Version : Re-enlistment after age 28?

Zeke
08-16-09, 02:52 AM
I'm 25 now and plan on enlisting in a year or so after I take care of some personal matters. Assuming I enlist at 26 and get discharged at 30, can I then get my bachelor's and apply for officer...

Lisa 23
08-16-09, 12:53 PM
You may want to fill out the rest of your profile there so we know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

fjmas1976
08-16-09, 01:01 PM
Unlike the other profile enforcer in front of me, I'll try to help you out. Your best bet is to talk to a Recruiter and get this info from them. If you plan on staying longer than one enlistment, why not stay in and earn your Bachelor degree while you are enlisted. Plenty of great Officers started off as enlisted and many Marines attend college classes while serving. Addditionally, read the posts on here of Marines who have left the Corps after four years or more, and are now fighting to re-enlist.

Hope this helps:usmc:

Petz
08-16-09, 01:04 PM
35 is the max constructive age for going into the officer program... minus the 4 years you will be in, you can be 39 before you are too old.... but you need to ship prior to that age.

as FJ said... you'd be better off working on a degree while on active duty.

try not to pick infantry if you plan to do this.

Lisa 23
08-16-09, 01:11 PM
fjmas1976, if these young men and women would take the time and fill out all of their profiles "before making a post", I wouldn't be known as the profile enforcer.
I got my arse chewed out in a PM when I joined here for not filling out all of mine, so...these wannabes and poolees are no different.

Petz
08-16-09, 01:21 PM
I agree with LAS in this case.... rules is rules... and you've got to follow the rules or it's anerchy... (just watched robin williams in popeye)

Achped
08-16-09, 01:43 PM
fjmas1976, if these young men and women would take the time and fill out all of their profiles "before making a post", I wouldn't be known as the profile enforcer.
I got my arse chewed out in a PM when I joined here for not filling out all of mine, so...these wannabes and poolees are no different.

I got chewed out today for driving "around" speed bumps by a gunny. Do you think

A.) I'm going to stop doing it,

or

B.) I'm going to yell at others for doing the same thing?

No.

fjmas1976
08-16-09, 02:03 PM
You never have anything to say or any advice other than "fill out a profile". I'm not the only one who has noticed this and commented on it. Why not give advice and instruction, and then a side note to fill out a profile if you really have the urge to?

Petz
08-16-09, 02:15 PM
don't clutter a 'ask a Marine' thread with this crap... take it to PM.

fjmas1976
08-16-09, 02:18 PM
don't clutter a 'ask a Marine' thread with this crap... take it to PM.
Roger that SSgt. My apologies for that.

Petz
08-16-09, 02:20 PM
no problem, lets just carry on... and I won't get into Achpeds new avatar! hahaha...

SlingerDun
08-16-09, 08:22 PM
I got chewed out today for driving "around" speed bumps by a gunny. Do you think

A.) I'm going to stop doing it,

or

B.) I'm going to yell at others for doing the same thing?

No.

C.) Continue to do it {so as not to spill your latte and bang up the undercarriage} and take a chance that there's no crimson necked lifers nearby ready to pounce

Zeke
08-17-09, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. I updated the profile let me know if more is needed.

Petz
08-17-09, 08:54 AM
seems adequate... just post more I guess.......

Lupo22
08-17-09, 10:33 PM
i heard somewhere that 29 is the oldest you can be for OCS w/o a waiver or prior service...BUT my memory is cloudy and I may have confused OCS with flight school...not sure but i'd ask my recruiter if i were you

Petz
08-18-09, 10:38 AM
no, you're right... 29 is the cut-off for the Corps in general... prior service allows you to extend that age for however long you were active... though if you were prior service (and I'm ASSUMING this is only for the prior Marines) they will accept a reconstructed age of 35 for OCS