PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

GIrene
08-16-09, 02:41 AM
I'm looking for the 9'6" long flagstaffs (the 2-part type with a ferrule and "spear point") that are commonly used on national and organizational colors. I've spearheaded the effort to create a color guard in my WW2 reenactment group after our unit leader had a replica of the WW2 regimental colors for the 442nd RCT made. We're still trying to find a 48-star national color that is of comparable size. I'll may end up settling for a current 50-star (but we're trying to get something made in period materials, nylon doesn't cut it and I think the commissioned one is silk). I think they need to be 4.33ft at the hoist and 5.5ft at the fly and I'm sure thats much smaller than the regimental and it makes no sense whatsoever to have the national colors smaller than the organizational. And the organizational was patterened on the Army standards for the time. Apparently they were compensating for something.

Lucky us we've managed to secure 2 WW2 era harnesses but the flagstaff that came with the commissioned regimental color is too big in diameter for the cups on the harnesses and MUCH too short (as I found last time he put it up as part of a display, with no wind blowing we had to do everything to add fake length to keep it from brushing the ground.

I'm spearheading this as the unit "Color Sergeant" (mainly because I'm the only one with a grasp of drill and the ability to teach it to others) and if were going to be out there in the public handling colors then I want it to look sharp and look right. I'm also trying to get the proper award streamers made so we can represent the 442nd RCT as they were in their post-war in Italy after VE Day and their return to the US.

I've googled the crap out of the internet and can't find the right stuff and its getting annoying. Any ideas of where to look?

DIBLO7
08-16-09, 03:40 PM
If you looked in the Drill Manual or the Flag Manual you might be able to find some NSN numbers which could in turn lead to different key words to search on google. Sound like a longshot but it might work.

GIrene
08-16-09, 03:41 PM
You know I did and the thought of finding/using the NSN's never occurred to me... thanks!

Petz
08-16-09, 04:02 PM
http://www.embassyflag.com/militaryguidon.htm

just did a search for guidon staff....

GIrene
08-16-09, 04:08 PM
Hmm... The flagstaffs are no different than a guidon pole. Thats what I needed... THANKS!

Now to track down a large enough Cotton 48-star....

Rocky C
08-16-09, 04:20 PM
Here you go.

http://www.saratogaflag.com/historicalflags.html