PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge

SabreJack
08-16-09, 12:26 AM
Good evening,

Of course all Marines know that during boot camp, recruits are required to study the Knowledge Book--specifically regarding Marine Corps History. I am not sure of the name, but it is partially the reason for my post. Marines, is there any way to get a copy of this book before going to boot camp? I work at a call center and have plenty of time to read. Before departing to MCRD, I would like to be able to begin studying now. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this book?

dizark
08-16-09, 12:33 AM
You're issued a book called "Guidebook for Marines", but also you're given 2 more packets of knowledge (we called them green monsters). Anyways, I was told not to buy the book in advance as you'll learn the knowledge by yelling diddies all the time. I can honestly say we didn't use the Guidebook (maybe a few times if that), but we focused more on the paper handouts we were given. When you go to the RTF (Recruit Training Facility), this is where you also utilize those same paper packages.

The only real thing I had down before shipping were my 11 General Orders, and the Creed. Anyways, there were so many recruits that didn't know any of the General Orders, but you scream them so many times over and over that it becomes impacted in your brain. There are those recruits who didn't really scream the diddies, and still don't know all 11 General Orders. I found it easier to know them, in my honest opinion.

tangovictor87
08-16-09, 12:34 AM
i threw mine away before i left the depot. read up on wiki. you'll want to know important/ significant Marines, historic battles, etc...

my RSS had a class on USMC history.

tangovictor87
08-16-09, 12:39 AM
You're issued a book called "Guidebook for Marines"

i still kept this book and read it in MAT plt. prior to my mos school. it was moderately useful.

ps- it don't teach you to make "sticky bombs" like tom hank's did in saving private ryan:banana:

SabreJack
08-16-09, 01:53 AM
Thank you Marines, I appreciate your input. tangovictor87, I am not looking to make sticky bombs out of an Army Training Manual. I am on the other hand looking to know as much required Marine Corps History as possible before getting on the plane for San Diego. Not that I want to be a leg up on my fellow recruits, but that it will be less stressful if I can memorize, or at least begin to study now when stress is low and there is more time to study.

tangovictor87
08-16-09, 02:04 AM
BTW only a portion of the test is MC history. there's first aid, UCMJ and more. know your general orders.

dizark
08-16-09, 02:14 AM
I'm telling you now, your Drill Instructors know exactly what is on the test, and will have you all screaming knowledge all the time. If you don't put out with screaming the knowledge, you're only going to hurt yourself.

Best of luck!

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-09, 02:24 AM
The advice given is sound. I'd still buy a 'Guidebook for Marines' (get the latest edition and not an old one LOL) and use it for studying. I did that way back when and it helped me, anyway. Worth a shot.

SabreJack
08-18-09, 02:40 AM
Thank you Marines, I understand that I am going to have to be able to spout off scores of information in the face of pressure. However, if there is any way that I can arrive better prepared, the easier Recruit Training will be for both myself and the platoon.

GREY MATTER
08-18-09, 02:45 AM
i still have all my books including the books we got at MCT...

the biggest thing you'll need to know before you get to bootcamp is the general orders.

everything else you'll learn while your there, and knowing your general orders before hand will save you alot of grief.

i remember standing firewatch in the middle of the night and one of our bulldogs came in and asked me why i wasnt studiying my genreal orders, i responded with " this recruit knows his general orders already sir" so he quizzed me and never had any problems after that....keep in mind you will still get f*cked with no matter what, its the nature of the beast

SabreJack
08-18-09, 02:54 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the raping that is boot camp. At this point in time, I am just trying to lube up before I get there. Nothing is going to be easy, the next 6 months are going to be really long.