PDA

View Full Version : Active-Reserves

MLMonk
08-15-09, 08:28 PM
So I might do the Active Reserves at my unit when I leave here, instead of finding a job out in the 1st Civ Div. I have a few questions regarding the AR for BAH, BAS, ability to still apply for Active Duty, and a few other information you think would be helpful.

Thanks.

Oh yea, I would be unmarried and living with my friend, if that will help for the BAH question.

Achped
08-16-09, 03:18 AM
huh, are you a reservist?

MLMonk
08-16-09, 01:19 PM
Right now yes.

Petz
08-16-09, 01:25 PM
it's kinda hard to augment to AR unless you talk to the monitor about it prior to you finishing school.

basically it's active duty at a reserve center and you'll never leave out of the reserve centers unless you go on deployment.

in many cases you get to goto some neat places, but others... you're just stuck.

promotion is slow so you might get booted for not getting promoted... so make sure you focus real hard on PT and rifle range and other such stuff...

Achped
08-16-09, 01:39 PM
Reservists/I&I Go to the rifle range?

Petz
08-16-09, 02:19 PM
yes... they do it on a drill weekend.

the month prior is grass 'half a day' and the next weekend is the range... reservists don't have to go but once every two years.

I&I go when other units near them go for the full course... they are active duty and are required to go once a year...

AR is like a permanant I&I staff unless they are transfered somewhere else by their monitor... I've heard of AR Marines staying in one place as junior Marines, but to keep their promotion potential going after Sgt they start moving around.

Achped
08-16-09, 02:21 PM
That blows, so you get active duty BS without active duty chances for promotion?

Petz
08-16-09, 02:27 PM
no, many many reserve stations don't need you to be sitting around all day... and if you need to take personal time and you're not a SB they tend to let you go for the rest of the day.

and if you got some cool guys you work for you can have extended lunch breaks as long as you get your work done.

it's not a bad gig... you just need to be at drill each month... but you have a short work week the following week.

you get monday off and then a 72 the following weekend.

Achped
08-16-09, 02:28 PM
What about I&I though? I want to go MSG>I&I and be a fleet dodger till Im a SNCO lol

Petz
08-16-09, 02:33 PM
I&I is similar... you just need to teach your reservists how to be real Marines on the weekends... but it's more like you get the game plan together, communicate it to the Reserve staff and then when they step on deck just watch them work and as need be, correct them.

it's pretty easy. and yes, you'll have lots of down-time.

Achped
08-16-09, 02:35 PM
Do most places have a BEQ or is it automatically BAH?

Petz
08-16-09, 02:36 PM
many of the reserve stations are coming under the BRAC (base relocation and closing) thing so much of the BEQ is shut down... so it's pretty much automatic BAH.

Supersquishy
08-16-09, 02:52 PM
was told they put the Reservists in hotels who drive over 50 miles. Thats cool cause Im going to be driving 130 miles one way. Just hope I actually get to do something on the drill weekends. Maybe Ill meet Achped and he can buy me a beer.

Achped
08-16-09, 03:14 PM
Is your reserve station in Orlando? Tampa?

Supersquishy
08-16-09, 03:17 PM
im not back in in yet, but it will be Palm Beach. Thats unless some stupid Hurricane ruins my plans.

Petz
08-16-09, 03:29 PM
yes, you get put in a hotel.... friday night (or night prior to drilling) and saturday night.

it's done by distance from zip code to zip code... my house IS 50 miles away, but the zip codes are damn close... so when it came to it I got screwed on travel pay....

but you can have the hotel though... I'm sure you have no problem as you said you're 130 miles away.

MLMonk
08-16-09, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the information SSgt, and my PFT/Rifle is high enough so I don't have to worry about those. I've allready talked to some of the SNCO's at my reserve unit last week about AR, and they told me when I check in this Friday, that they will process me though into the AR. So what I am getting out of this, I will be getting BAH/BAS for being down in Orlando on active status. Not bad, wouldn't mind a $1348 paycheck :D (was bored and calculated that after taxes and all that and seeing the current BAS/BAH for E3 in Orlando).

Petz
08-16-09, 05:58 PM
that's my base pay after taxes.... it does pay to have rank I suppose.

hope you enjoy AR... and don't let on that you know what I told you.

start off strong and let them guide you on how they want you to act.

one thing you should do, talk to the I&I SNCOIC and ask him what he expects of you. Anything he tells you is stuff you do first and foremost.... everything else is secondary as long as you aren't dis-obeying orders.

make sure you have something to write with as it might be a list of things.

Achped
08-16-09, 07:23 PM
What a fag. BAH in Orlando as an AR. Thats straight fag.

Petz
08-16-09, 07:28 PM
so that means you're jealous... right? hahaha.

where are you going when you become AR?

"disnee wuurl"

hahaha....I'm just playing around.... good luck to you.

MLMonk
08-16-09, 07:52 PM
What a fag. BAH in Orlando as an AR. Thats straight fag.

It's $1017 as of now, lol. I rather be full active then either or, so you can switch with me if you like Cpl.

And Disney World is for when we get our lunch break.

Achped
08-16-09, 09:45 PM
It's $1017 as of now, lol. I rather be full active then either or, so you can switch with me if you like Cpl.

And Disney World is for when we get our lunch break.

I'm from Florida, don't preach to me about Disney World. That **** sucks.

Supersquishy
08-17-09, 05:26 AM
Whats better, disney world or Busch Gardens? Ohh has anyone been to the Miami Seaquarium? Going to take my daughter there sometime in the near future.

MLMonk
08-17-09, 06:53 AM
I like Busch Gardens, after 5pm the beer is free, and the rides are better. +military gets in free.