PDA

View Full Version : Questions from junior to senior Marines

sjpemberton
08-14-09, 12:38 PM
I feel like its hard to be in the Marine Corps and still have it all. I would like my own home to call home that doesn't have to move everywhere that I do. I want 4 kids. I want to be a drill instructor and then I want to go warrant officer. I want to go to Japan. My fiance wants to go to Hawaii and do MSG duty. It seems like trying to get the most out of the Marine Corps conflicts with having a happy family. Is it possible for a double Marine couple to have 4 kids, have a commitment to being a drill instructor for at least 3 yrs and do warrant officer? If I become a warrant officer is there any chance that I could finish out my career stationed in one place? Or is it just hoping that what you want matches up with needs of the Marine Corps? Stressin about the long term but I would appreciate the guidance.

LCpl Pemberton

GREY MATTER
08-14-09, 01:13 PM
no offense but this is the exact reason junior Marines shouldnt get married, especially when they're spouse in in as well.

its too hard to keep the peace in the home, and the chances of both of you being stationed on the same base for both of your entire enlistments is slim.

as for your other questions.
you do not get choice of duty station when you go MSG, you will get a good duty station and a crappy duty station and thats only if you finish top of the class. most usually end up in an embassy in a 3rd world country that has alot of problems.
some get lucky and get 2 good duty stations.

as far as Drill Instructor as a newly married marine you are looking at alot of problems as well, as the Junior Drill Instructor puts in the most hours.

no matter what rank you are there is always the chance of getting moved to a new duty station...it seems to be luck of the draw...ive been on the same base since 98 but i have been to 3 different commands. i had a gunny that retired and he never left the west coast, started out in el toro and finished his career in miramar

Lupo22
08-14-09, 01:51 PM
Hey Sgt, isn't there a rule that if you're both in the service, you have to be stationed within 40 miles of each other (as long as there is a base available for different services i.e. USAF and USMC)? Just something I heard while working around the RS.

GREY MATTER
08-14-09, 02:08 PM
Hey Sgt, isn't there a rule that if you're both in the service, you have to be stationed within 40 miles of each other (as long as there is a base available for different services i.e. USAF and USMC)? Just something I heard while working around the RS.

if there is i'm not aware of it.
i know a couple married couples that are stationed at different bases. for example: miramar and iwakuni, also maryland and beaufort. i dont know the details of why they are on different bases, maybe they requested it or something.
but i also know alot of people that are married and stationed on the same base...its a crap shoot if you ask me.

but again i dont know if there are ant regulations about it, im just going by what i see and have seen

Pete0331
08-14-09, 04:35 PM
I feel like its hard to be in the Marine Corps and still have it all. I would like my own home to call home that doesn't have to move everywhere that I do. I want 4 kids. I want to be a drill instructor and then I want to go warrant officer. I want to go to Japan. My fiance wants to go to Hawaii and do MSG duty. It seems like trying to get the most out of the Marine Corps conflicts with having a happy family. Is it possible for a double Marine couple to have 4 kids, have a commitment to being a drill instructor for at least 3 yrs and do warrant officer? If I become a warrant officer is there any chance that I could finish out my career stationed in one place? Or is it just hoping that what you want matches up with needs of the Marine Corps? Stressin about the long term but I would appreciate the guidance.

LCpl Pemberton

You are eight-teen and have maybe one year in the USMC.
Sometimes it's a good idea to plan ahead but when you are as far out as you are you need to wait.
Personal situations can change rapidly.

Sounds like you're planning a family.
If you want to do that and be in the USMC my advice would be to get in the reserves at the first possible moment.

My question to you is why join the military if you want to start a family at a young age?

Accord
08-17-09, 12:25 PM
You might want to inform your wife that unless she divorces you, she is currently ineligible to go on MSG duty unless she is a SNCO or above.

Accord
08-17-09, 12:26 PM

It is true, however it is not an order but merely a recommendation. If you're at Lejeune and there are no openings in any unit at Lejeune for whatever your wife's MOS is, well guess what? She ain't going to be at Lejeune.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-09, 02:54 AM
Yep. Not a 'rule' but rather an 'accommodation'. They don't HAVE to do it.

As far as all the rest, planning and dreaming is fine but I'd concentrate on the 'now' at the moment. Your situation and life might very well change so I wouldn't put much 'in stone' or even 'in writing' at this point.

Marine84
08-18-09, 12:22 PM
You always have to crawl before you walk..................

Petz
08-18-09, 01:10 PM
you both want to do different special duties... unfortunately sometimes you can only follow one career path... there comes a time when one needs to sacrifice for the other.... and they will resent it.

if you're gonna get married, fine... but don't have kids until you are done with your special duty assignments....

CplEarl
08-18-09, 10:17 PM
As half of a dual active couple, well used to be anyway (I'm out he's still in) I have first hand experience with this. The Marine corps can, and will often separate you for up to 18 months at a time, and then you are considered together if your duty station is within 50 miles of each other. While my med board was processing, the hubby detached from his unit and PCS'd to Quantico without me and our 2yr old, and 4 month old. Its hard and something to think extremely hard about before doing. Just my .02