PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all Former and Retired Marines.

top1371
08-03-03, 05:35 AM
Q. HOW DO YOU DO IT?:qmark:

I have been retired 7 whole months now. I would go back in, in a heart beat if they would let me. But my 40% disability would probably stop me.

Anyhow, I never thought I would have problems adjusting, but I am. I can imagine what it would be like if I still drank. Well, yes I can, I'd just stay drunk:D

I feel like I am just on leave. I miss the Corps. I dont have a problem with not having the rank anymore. Heck, at work I am a computer tech and when it is slow I sometimes clean the shop. My Marines would get a kick out of that.

My wife thinks I am too involved with the Corps. I subscribe to the Marine Corps Times and still wear my dog tags....

I work 1500-2400, so it is odd that I jumped out of the rack at 0430 today after having a dream that I had OOD on my last day in the Corps. What would Freud say...

Sometimes I feel like using that sign that says BANG HEAD HERE, because retiring was dumb. I could have stayed a litte longer, but in the last year, my body started breaking down. I never had any injurys in 21 years, but last year I had a neck, back and knee injury. And 30% of my 40% disabily is for the old ticker...

I go down and visit the recruiter from time to time. Odd, I was the recruiter here 10 years ago. The recruiter is a Gunny, he was a member of my RS and was a Sergeant the last time I was out here.

Ok, thanks for letting me rant and getting this off my chest.

Semper Fi,

Top:marine:

yellowwing
08-03-03, 06:51 AM
Oh heck, going back in time. I would be a senior Gunny or a new Major if I had stayed in. About twice a year I have still have those boot camp dreams.

One of the main reasons why I visit Leatherneck.com is to be reasured that everything in the Corps is still ship shape. Now I get to interject my Liberal/Democratic opinion without any fear of any serious reprocussions.

I still think it is odd that given my political views, I still see the USA as a destined empire that must project its will upon the global environment. It was so much easier when preparing for a junk on the buck inspecition. Head down working on the boots.

I have been looking at this forum for about 8 months now. There is an absolute thrill to see a poolee come back to say, "I have made it you SOBs!"

Semper Fidelis

leroy8541
08-03-03, 09:18 AM
I have been out more than 11 years now, and I must say that I still haven't fully adjusted. I only put 10 yrs in the corps, in the Infantry. When things aren't happening the way I think they should, the Sgt. still comes out on people who haven't a clue to whats going on, which has earned me the reputation of being an a$$hole. Things are getting better now,because I have had the opportunity to recruit Marines onto my crew that will relay the foul stream of expletives that sometimes get uttered when angered, and I also do the same for them. So Now instead of trying to change my ways (ha ha) everyone else is getting "educated". By the way our crew has 10 people on it, 3 are Marines 2 are Army 1 Navy . We have been rated as the top team for the last five yrs. SEMPER FI .

crew
08-03-03, 09:24 AM
Top,.......you are honored for your service, don't ever think you have to shelf the Marine......keep him as is, as intended...always faithful........proud of all of you.........:)

CAS3
08-03-03, 10:16 AM
I know what you are going through,granted,I only did a VERY short time in. I still wish I were back in the Corps. It is my greatest regret.
All I can say is do everything you can to support your Corps as a civilian. Go to the MARINE CORPS LEAGUE meetings. (The League is not just a bar on the corner). Participate in all veteran activities in your area.
For me, I work at the Board of Veteran Appeals as a vet rep. I participate in the MARINE CORPS LEAGUE as a PR person...arranging parades, ball, etc...I am a member of Rolling Thunder and when possible, I go on rides in support of our POW/MIA's. And, of course, I try to help people on this site.
Most of all, keep busy. Don't let the fact that you aren't in bring you down. You ave done all you can. Gone above and beyond and were an inspiration to all of the enlisted under you.
SEMPER FI,
Colleen:marine:

JChristin
08-03-03, 02:28 PM
hey TOP,

You are not alone. I still wear my dogtags, they represent something that is more than just important to me, they represent my connection to something that is greater than myself, but which I am a part of. They remind me of who I am and always will be, even into the great reality beyond, if I'm lucky enough to be called into active duty guarding the streets of that great beyond.

What the Marine Corps gave to me is not mearsureable. It shaped my character and personality into one that can go anywhere at anytime under any condition and meet any cause. My love for the Marine Corps is not measureable.

There are several Marines I have as friends today. I still see my old recruiter in eastern Oregon from time to time. We all belong to a totally unrelated organization where deep bonds are formed with other members. Yet, our bonds are of the deeper variety that no one else can understand. How can they?

Time serves as our greatest alley. The assets collected in the Marine Corps stands us apart from all others. I am a licensed professional today representing several corporate giants. The first time I walked into a conference room full of men at my former firm, several of them abruptly stood up as I entered the room. It wasn't because I'm a woman. Several weeks later I was told my "bearing" scared the hell out of those weak-knee attorneys. I was the newbie on the block, yet my "bearing" and "personna" - all of which I gained from the Marine Corps continues to impress. It is engraved and tattoed on my spirit.

You'll do okay, it takes time. Thank you for your time served.

semper fi,
jchristin

USMC-FO
08-03-03, 04:08 PM
I have looked back at my life many times over and there is only one regret that I have and it is that I left active duty in 1966. I am still, and always will be a Marine, and likely would be retired in any event by now but truely wish I had made the Corp my career. Inspite of the success and good money I make there is still sometime missing in my life and I know it is that I did not stay on active duty longer.

Today I have a terrific family--three children and two grandchildren. I spend a good deal of my time focusing on my 10 year old son. I take him to our Memorial every year on Nov 10th and make certain we visit my companions on The Wall. Each year, on Memorial Day, we put flowers on my towns Viet Nam Memorial. And we also touch a memorial stone at a local school each and every time we go into the building for whatever reason--usually basketball games. This memorial pays tribute to a local youngster who was killed in the DMZ at the age of 18 in 1968. My son, unlike many others his age, understands and appreciates the sacrifices that have been made to this nation.

My son in law is a Marine and my best friend wishes that he might have been a Marine. My boss is a Marine, and another good friend in my neighborhood is a Marine.

Above all else I regard my family and my few short years on active duty in the Corps as the most important events in my life. The memories, the honor and pride I have in our Corps can not be equaled and every day I strive to maintain the standards and expectations that were set into my psych over 40 years ago. To this day my pride in the title "Marine" is overwellming.

virwar
08-03-03, 04:51 PM
I've been out for about eight years. I'm just starting to get used to the idea of not getting my head buzzed once a week ( I get it buzzed every two weeks, yeah I'm a $h!t-bird now). I took the dog tag off my bootlace about a year and half ago ( still wear the boots though ). At work, I am not questioned on my field decisions ( they know I did it because it was necessary ) and I still iron creases in my own uniform. I have a Marine background on my computer and a Marine flag hanging over my mantle. I have USMC/DesertStorm licence plates on my vehicles. Hell, I'm just as "bad" as when I was in. We all seem to be in the same boat. Thanx for your service Master Sgt. God Bless and Semper Fi Dave

firstsgtmike
08-03-03, 09:19 PM
TOP,

Your question was: "How do you do IT?"

The answer begins with a question. "What do you want to do?"

Or as clinton would say, "It depends upon what your definition of "it" is.

How far do you want to go with "it"?

You don't have to die to be reincarnated, you just have to let go.

You can't go very far if you keep one foot fixed in place.

We travel farther, faster with a Light Marching Pack than with a dufflebag. (Items left behind can be replaced along the way.)

If we spend too much time reliving memories, there is not much time left over to create new memories.

We have all had tours, duty assigments, cruises, OICs, NCOICs, duty stations, liberty ports, liberty weekends, etc. that are best forgotten. Many were never long remembered.

The Light Marching Pack will contain the essentials; Pride, Self Confidence, Self Relience, and all the other intangibles that make a Marine a Marine.

How far do you want to go? Some, if permitted, would live aboard base after retirement. Some look for a mountain peak it takes three days of backpacking to reach.

Some make the mistake of spending too much time on the "starting line" (front gate) before they can get both feet moving. Many spend so much time looking back that they are forever banging into closed doors and add new (psychic) scars every day.

Others, (myself included) chose to get to where they were going and where they wanted to be before looking back. The Light Marching Pack carried all that was needed, including "required" memories taken out to fit the occassion.

Now, twenty five years after retirement, I can enjoy looking back on several lives, before, during, and after my active duty time, and still enjoy creating new memories.

Memories? My days and nights are filled with a fantastic variety of them, so I am not condemned to reliving the same one, over and over and over again.

After seven months you drempt you were standing OOD your last day in the Corps. I'm 25 YEARS down the road, 45 years from bootcamp, and I STILL have occassions where I realize in a dream that I must be dreaming, decide that I like the feeling, and get back into it.

There are many "items" I regret not taking with me along the way. Souveneirs, momentos, a wild and wide assortment of parafinalia that wouldn't fit into the Light Marching Pack, or even one dufflebag.

My "regret" is short-lived when I ask myself; "Would you rather have ................? Or would you rather be where you are today?"

I write it off, much the same as I write off the taxi-fare when I arrive at a party.

Semper Fi!

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

mrbsox
08-03-03, 09:47 PM
If you'll take a few words from an ole 'LanceCoolie'.

You still wake up every day with tasks ahead of you. What did you do while still Active Duty??

Inspired Others
Ensured YOU were squared away
Ensured your area was squared away
Kept the CO off your back, and your troops
Took care of the troops
.. Took care of the troops
.... Took care of the troops

I don't have any personell UNDER me (any more) but others still look to me for guideance. I try to give ideas, for them to form their own solutions. My work area is my 'foxhole', my bunker. It's ME, mine. I hve what I need where I need it.

A Hobby. An 8 to 5 job (or 3 to 12) leaves time, idle time. Time your not used to having maybe. One of my hobbies is here, another is keeping the CO (wife) off my back :D.

Anychange of Duty station took me a bit of adjusting... who, what where. The 1stCivDiv will be much the same. My adjustment was easier after doing only 4 yrs active (EAS 1979), but my Heart is STILL with the Corps. I still dream duty dreams, and I still walk proud, and I still Display Patriotism wherever I go, and I still....

You'll make it, in your time MARINE :marine:

Semper Fidelis. Want an ear to lean on... find me in here. Need a kick in the a$$, I'm sure SOMEBODY in here can see to that also. lol

Semper Fidelis. Your still a MARINE, just 'incognito'.

Terry
Veteran Marine

lurchenstein
08-04-03, 12:34 AM
Top,
Serving 20 years in the Marine Corps is a major accomplishment.
You're one of the Few of The Few & The Proud that made a career of it. At some point in your life it's good to stand at ease and go route step. Have some time (once in short supply) to enjoy your family and and pursue personal interests. Nobody can take your title or downplay your contribution.
If I could do it again, I'd go for the 20 (no turning back after 23 years separation). I don't wear dogtags around my neck; however, the dogtag and few Korean coins are the only ornaments on my primary keyring (not one for rings & neck chains). Fortunately, I've worked for Marines (supervisors, managers, etc) over the years, worked Marine Corps projects for a defense contractor, and have met other CivDiv and Active Duty Marines out in "the ville". It all refreshes the Marine Corps spirit much as this site does. (Looks like several good thoughts have been offered up here.) Hope you find that well earned rest Top!

firstsgtmike
08-04-03, 01:00 AM
The Drifter posted this last December. I thought it might fit in this discussion.

Your Family Might Be a Little Too Oorah if...

Your wife's two favorite shades of lipstick are light green and loam.

You go to a barbecue and insist that your family feed tactically.

Your children are required to clear housing before going "TAD-Excess" to college.

You require your mechanic to replace the sandbags in your car's floorboard as a part of a tune-up.

Your minivan is equipped with blackout lights.

Your kids call their mother "Household 6."

Your kids use the "F" word at least five times in every sentence.

Your kids volunteer to pull Monitor Duty on the school bus.

Your doorbell sounds off with the current challenge and password.

Your house has firing sector and distance sketches posted by every window.

You give the command "Fix Bayonets" at Thanksgiving Dinner.

Your kids show meal cards at the kitchen door, except the oldest, who is on separate rats.

You make your daughter sign out on a liberty pass on Prom Night.

Your kindergartner calls recess "smoke break."

Your wife "takes a knee" in the checkout line at the Food Lion.

You do your "back to school" shopping at the U.S. Cavalry store.

Your son fails the third grade but tells everyone he was a "Third phase drop."

Your kids salute their grandparents.

Your wife's "high-n-tight" is more squared away than your Commander's.

Your kids get a monthly LES for their allowance.

Your grandmother won "Squad leader of the year."

All your kids have names that start with 3/3,1/4, 2/6, MACS-5, etc.

Your pickup has your name stenciled on the windshield.

Your have ECR cards from each of your kids for their toys and other T/E equipment.

Your older kids call the youngest one "Cherry."

Your kids recite their ABCs phonetically.

Your wife keeps B-Rat service utensils in the China cabinet.

Your wife left you and you held a "Change of Command" ceremony.

You call your in-laws "those Regimental Staff pogues."

You and your kids sing PT cadence songs when traveling, just to pass the time....

Your dog's name is "Recon."

You bum "dips" from your four-year-old daughter.

All your possessions are military issue.

Your kids call their sandbox "The Stumps."

You have pull-up bars outside your front door.

Your daughter's first haircut was a flattop.

Your kids pull firewatch.

Your newborn's first words were "Good to go Sir."

You removed the lower branches from the trees in your yard to clear your fields of fire.

You have an Ops calendar and a POD posted on the kitchen (CP) wall.

The standard command when you get in the family vehicle is "Count, off!"

You hold regular "Health and comfort" inspections of your kids' rooms.

You refer to your property line as the Line of Departure.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
08-04-03, 01:32 AM
and THIS bump fits here. <br />
<br />
In his office following his normal Saturday morning &quot;white glove&quot; inspection, the retired First Sergeant called; &quot;L/Cpl Farrell, Front and CENTER.&quot; <br />
<br />
&quot;L/Cpl Farrell...

greensideout
08-04-03, 06:41 PM
Trout fishing. Oh yes , the silent one under water to be lured.

You have picked one of the best trout fishing locations in the world to retire. (The rest of us just dream.)

I always wanted to make the lunkers club. Not yet, missed it by 4 oz. If I was retired there, I would be working on that goal!

How about tieing the best fly or jig to accomplish that goal? If you do, I'm your first customer, ok? LOL

Life is full of challenge. Just find the one you want. Hell, try them all, that will sort it out!

Semper Fi,
Ron

top1371
08-04-03, 10:04 PM
Thanks to ALL for your bits of wizdom.

Semper Fi,

Top:marine:

MrChuck
08-06-03, 12:42 AM
top1371..

Thanks for starting this thread for us days gone by Marines...

I have been retired almost 27 years.. It took me about 15 years before I really understood that I no longer had the power...
I would wake up in the mornings like the rest of you are doing and say my leave must be just about over and tomorrow I have to report back in and see what the top has done while I have been away..

Well Top.. you are the top and I hope the answer was nothing. We have put in our time and I know now that the Corps has passed me by for a younger - stronger - faster Marine.. Trained in the weapons we did not even have when I retired in 1976. In another 25 years or so.. you will look back and see the same thing I am seeing now.

So as we say to the "New" younger Marine Corps.. Semper Fi and Carry on Marine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-06-03, 10:07 PM
There have been some wonderful things posted on this thread. It is true that all of us carry certain Marine essentials with us, at all times. Some people leave the Marine Corps, take these things with them, and never look back. Others remember their days in uniform fondly, knowing that life can never be the same; but that doesn't mean it can't be as good, or better. Then there are those that just can't seem to let it go. Some of these people think that they have managed to let the past stay in the past, but they really haven't... at least not all the way. (Personally, these are the people I prefer to associate with.) Many of them can be found at a web site (www.leatherneck.com) talking about the "Old Corps" from time to time. They know that there is a bond between Marines, and decide not to let that part of their life pass. They know that at times brother and sister Marines need their help, and they are willing to give it at a second's notice.

It is hard to get beyond life as a Marine. Many people look for something to replace the feeling being a Marine gives them. My advice, don't even try. It can't happen. You are a Marine, and you always will be. You have to take all that being a Marine entails and use it to your advantage in the next phase of your lofe. You can be a Marine in any clime or place, and you don't even need the gun. You can't act like a Marine all the time, but what you have learned will serve you well. The memories you have are there forever, but over time will come less often. But, don't think that you will ever be past it. When the Marines went to Iraq and Adghanistan several of us were nearly consumed with thoughts (and prayers) for the Marines in combat. the urge to be with your brothers in arms is strong, but I really thik that just shows you the kind of man you really are.

Semper Fi Top, and welcome to the world of Marines no longer on active duty. The First Civ Div takes some getting used to, but we will welcome your help in getting this division squared away.