PDA

View Full Version : Stellar PMO Marine earns rank

thedrifter
08-14-09, 06:30 AM
Stellar PMO Marine earns rank

Cpl. Laura A. Mapes

The station's noncommissioned officer of the year earned another honor Aug. 4 when he was meritoriously promoted to Sergeant.

Sgt. Samuel Powers was promoted by the station commanding officer a day before he left the air station for Okinawa, Japan.

"Competition for these boards is high," said Sgt. Maj. Terry Stanford, station sergeant major. "He was the NCO of the year and that set him above the rest and set him up for winning the Marine Corps Installations West board."

The board avoided quizzing the Marines on basic knowledge and instead asked the corporals opinionated questions to test their judgment and leadership abilities.

"We wanted to find out how they would handle themselves and lead their Marines in situations both in garrison and in combat," said Stanford, who served as a board member. "His answers impressed the board enough for him to win unanimously."

Powers was rewarded for winning NCO of the year, not only on station with parking spots, a Single Marine Program trip donation and a Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal, but also by the Yuma Chamber of Commerce, which presented him with a plaque on the Fourth of July.

He was pinned by station commanding officer, Col. Mark Werth and Sgt. Nicholas Gillmore, a Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron martial arts instructor.

While Powers said it was his command and his Marines that make him look good, he has outshined others on more than one occasion. He was also the class leader for corporal's course in February, and he is a brown belt Marine Corps Martial Arts instructor.

"If my next command wants me to go up on more boards, I will," said Powers. "But I need to perfect the rank of sergeant first."

Ellie