PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what order I should do this in?

Austin K
08-13-09, 11:42 PM
I've wanted to be a Marine since I was 2! And i just recently enlisted and got my MOS today actually! I wasn't entierly sure what i wanted to do in the Marines all i know is that since I was born it's what I wanted to be. So today i got the Job of Marine Security Force Approved and I'm set to go to basics June 7th 2010! My recruiter told me it was very physical damanding job so im putting my self through hell everyday (I've never been one to not do all he can to reach his goals) but what i did know going into the Marines was that i wanted to do Force Recon! So my question is Should when i go to the school of infantry should i complete that then the training for my MOS then ask to voluntier for Force Recon or would it be better to just Voluntier for it when i go to the School of infantry?
Sorry i took so long to ask the question
Austin K.:iwo:

MotoDad
08-13-09, 11:53 PM
AustinK,

If your real desire is Recon, you should consider a UZ/0321 contract with your recruiter. These are limited availability contracts. Is your PFT score 250 or higher? Recruiters I have spoken to (and read the comments from), have stated they try to reserve these contracts for poolee's they truly believe have a legitimate shot at graduating from the BRC course at Camp Pendleton.

I would highly recommend reviewing the "Former Poolee Advice" forum on this website.....there you will find a thread started by DomForce24 titled "Basic Recon Course". DomForce24 is a recent graduate of BRC. He provides excellent, CURRENT info on what BRC consists of and gives details regarding the serious commitment it takes to make it through....

If your recuiter is unable to obtain a UZ/0321 contract for you, your next option is to enlist with a UH/03xx Infantry contract, and then volunteer for Recon screening when the BRC cadre sergeants ask for volunteers in SOI/ITB......

Best of luck to you.....

Austin K
08-14-09, 12:07 AM
Yeah he looked into it for me cause he has no doubt in his mind that i wouldnt be able to do it! like i said this is what i've always wanted to do but unfortunetly none were open but i did go infentry side cause i did see the preferd MOS for Recon was Infentry but im doing Infentry Marine Secuirty Force. but i guess ill just figure out when time comes if i feel if im in good enough shape or not

my Pft Score is a 250 and rising quickly but i belive the score for recon is 285? correct me if im wrong?

Lisa 23
08-14-09, 09:10 AM
Can't help you with your question, but the Marine Corps has boot camp, not basic training.

0331 2 0369
08-14-09, 09:42 AM
Did you really need to start two threads on the same topic?

samthomas
08-14-09, 11:11 AM
Worry about earning the title, before you start planning your career as a secret squirrel. If you make it through boot camp and SOI, you will have the opportunity to attend the Security Forces course…There is a lot in your way before you will even be able to think about attempting the Force indoc.

While it may have changed, I am fairly certain that you need to be a Corporal to go for the Force Recon indoc. You might have the opportunity to do the Recon indoc at SOI, though you might as well wait until after you have completed what you signed up for (Security Forces).