PDA

View Full Version : Marriage

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 01:29 PM
I recently got married to my girlfriend and i want to know the Pros and Cons of getting married prior to shipping

0331 2 0369
08-13-09, 01:37 PM
I am sure that if you read the rules and fill out your profile, that you will get more answers than you ever imagined on this topic.

Petz
08-13-09, 01:45 PM
pros/cons.... um, depends.

hope she's not expecting you to provide money until almost all the way through boot camp....

it's a new and exciting learning experience for every Marine in your shoes... it's never really the same...

cons are that you're married. can't think of any pros.....

NoRemorse
08-13-09, 01:46 PM
pros/cons.... um, depends.

hope she's not expecting you to provide money until almost all the way through boot camp....

it's a new and exciting learning experience for every Marine in your shoes... it's never really the same...

cons are that you're married. can't think of any pros.....

Pros? He's in New York so he's not in a Community Property state. Don't buy anything or co-sign anything now.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 01:47 PM
I am sure that if you read the rules and fill out your profile, that you will get more answers than you ever imagined on this topic.
done. sorry about that

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 01:50 PM
Pros? He's in New York so he's not in a Community Property state. Don't buy anything or co-sign anything now.
i own nothin at the moment. i live in my parents house until i ship. i hav no money and my girlfriend has stuck with me throughout all the problems ive had. i heard about the slight pay difference and i wanted to know if it was true. not being that i got married in order to receive higher pay

Alisium
08-13-09, 02:24 PM
i own nothin at the moment. i live in my parents house until i ship. i hav no money and my girlfriend has stuck with me throughout all the problems ive had. i heard about the slight pay difference and i wanted to know if it was true. not being that i got married in order to receive higher pay

You're going to make a great SSgt some day.

:D

It's going to be tough because you're gong to be gone and very busy when you're home. It's a definite lifestyle change you're going to have to try to balance two worlds. The Marine Corps and your marriage. Both demand a lot of attention to detail and hard work.

I recommend against getting married at least until your first four is over, but if you do, make use of the base marriage counselors and all the help and support that is offered to Marines through their commands and the base.

Good luck.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 02:27 PM
thanks Alisium. i dont know if its just me making this up or if its true. Married Marines have their own places to stay at bases or not?

Alisium
08-13-09, 02:30 PM
Yes, you can stay on base, virtually rent free or they'll pay you a basic housing allowance to live off of base. There are pros and cons to both.

Each command and base vary and there are waiting lists. My brother and sister-in-law waited a year for housing on Camp Pendleton.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 02:32 PM
also i was thinking about my wife finishing school here and in the meantime coming down to visit me every once and a while i dont know how that would work. will i always have a place by my self or would i have to find time during the day to spend time with her

Rocky C
08-13-09, 03:31 PM
You'll just have to go to the "No Tell Motel" 40 Bucks should cover it.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 03:32 PM
lol sounds about right

Lupo22
08-13-09, 03:34 PM

Much higher pay while at boot and MOS school. You'll get BAH for her bsed on where she lives. I wish I had gotten married before hand instead of waiting till afterwards! I'm also 25 though, not 18 or 19 like most of the guys in my plt. so I like to think i'm a little more mature and ready for a committment like that (as is my wife).

You'll get your own place. If she stays and finishes school while you're at your duty station, you can collect BAH for her while living in a barrack, so basically you'll get your Pvt or PFC pay, plus whatever the housing allowance is, and if shes living at home, you'll keep most of it.

It gives you a slight financial advantage when moving into a new house as a young couple on a junior Marines pay!

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 03:35 PM
Much higher pay while at boot and MOS school. You'll get BAH for her bsed on where she lives. I wish I had gotten married before hand instead of waiting till afterwards! I'm also 25 though, not 18 or 19 like most of the guys in my plt. so I like to think i'm a little more mature and ready for a committment like that (as is my wife).

You'll get your own place. If she stays and finishes school while you're at your duty station, you can collect BAH for her while living in a barrack, so basically you'll get your Pvt or PFC pay, plus whatever the housing allowance is, and if shes living at home, you'll keep most of it.

It gives you a slight financial advantage when moving into a new house as a young couple on a junior Marines pay!

Thank you for that. now i know. My recruiter says it makes no difference until you are in the fleet.

Petz
08-13-09, 04:00 PM

actually I think you get non-local BAH which is much less....

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 04:02 PM
actually I think you get non-local BAH which is much less....
whats the difference between both?

Petz
08-13-09, 04:04 PM
um, one is base BAH... then dependant on your location you get extra money...

so non-local BAH is like an extra 6 - 700 a month until you graduate training or some other point....

I could be wrong... ask your recruiter if it's non-local BAH or not.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 04:06 PM
ook will do thank you sir

Lupo22
08-13-09, 06:22 PM
I was told that if its a legitimate reason (school, medical, kids in school), that you will get BAH for where your spouse is living (your last residence) for a short period of time. Maybe they're wrong though...I'll double check tomorrow and get back with ya'll.

rodriguez35
08-13-09, 06:27 PM
I was told that if its a legitimate reason (school, medical, kids in school), that you will get BAH for where your spouse is living (your last residence) for a short period of time. Maybe they're wrong though...I'll double check tomorrow and get back with ya'll.
ok thanks