View Full Version : Pendleton Marine draws year in jail

thedrifter
08-02-03, 09:17 PM
Pendleton Marine draws year in jail <br />
<br />
SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES <br />
4:36 p.m., August 1, 2003 <br />
<br />
CAMP PENDLETON – A Marine who mistakenly used live ammunition during training and killed another...

Devildogg4ever
08-03-03, 03:47 AM
Am I missing something here? Maybe it's me, but when do you have live rounds issued for that type of training?

Even then, why would you have live rounds in your possesion if they are not required?

Above everything else, if you have live rounds and blanks in the same area, would you not take the time to make sure you have the type that you need?

Accident or not, they should have nailed him with everything they could! Regardless of the excuses, it does not bring, Pfc. Jeremy Purcell back, does it?

top1371
08-03-03, 05:07 AM
I believe that they had fired live fire at a different range earlier that day. The problem was that they didnt get properly cleard and have all ammo accounted for.

I think the Sergeant was an idiot, but a BCD? From what I gathered, it was a mistake. A dumb one, that cost a life, but a BCD?

Semper Fi,

Quinbo
06-16-07, 12:51 AM
Ok resurrecting a 4 year old thread.

Blanks do not work without a BFA. Live rounds do not work with one attatched. The idiot shot and killed another Marine and got a year in the brig?

zx6rdr
06-16-07, 01:14 AM
very true Bulk...

The PFC got shot 4 times.... would not the BFA cause a stoppage?

Possibly it wouldnt have...

???????

PS: Is it true that a live round wont fire with a BFA???? I believe that it will, but on the other hand i have never done it....

Quinbo
06-16-07, 01:30 AM
A blank firing attachment is a large brightly painted bore plug. It is easy to see and blocks all gasses from a blank from passing through the barrel and causes the bolt to cycle when a blank is fired. Firing a live round with a BFA attached would probably destroy the weapon and seriously injure the shooter. Additionally the sound of a blank fired versus the sound of a live round fired is greatly different. Firing 4 live rounds expecting to be firing blanks without figuring out something wasn't right is inexcuseable