PDA

View Full Version : Pain below my calfs. HELP

Enrique2010
08-13-09, 05:01 AM
Ive been looking this up everywhere but I figured since Marines do alot of running, someone here HAS to know what I'm going through. Ill give background information so you can better understand my situation and help as much as possible.

I graduated 06. Really wasnt active to the point where i was running or anything, so I can see why the pain has occured. Its been hurting for about a month now. The pain is on the INSIDE of my lower legs right below the Inside of the calf muscle. So for my left leg, it would be to the right of my shin, and Right leg is to the left of the shin. Seems to be this muscle or tendon http://www.pilatespatio.com/flexor_digitorum_longus.jpg

Its been hurting for a month now, and I run 1 or 2 times a week still. 1 time on my own and 1 time at the poolee meetings. Its hurts to jump up when I push up with my toes, and hurts everytime I run and push off each step. ALTHOUGH, once Ive ran a lap or so, the pain seems to subside a little but I still cant give 100% in the beginning. Should I stop running completely even at the poolee meetings? It doesnt seem like shin splints, as there is no pain in my Shins. Any help and resolution would be greatly appreciated Marines.

Pete0331
08-13-09, 05:26 AM
Ive been looking this up everywhere but I figured since Marines do alot of running, someone here HAS to know what I'm going through. Ill give background information so you can better understand my situation and help as much as possible.

I graduated 06. Really wasnt active to the point where i was running or anything, so I can see why the pain has occured. Its been hurting for about a month now. The pain is on the INSIDE of my lower legs right below the Inside of the calf muscle. So for my left leg, it would be to the right of my shin, and Right leg is to the left of the shin. Seems to be this muscle or tendon http://www.pilatespatio.com/flexor_digitorum_longus.jpg

Its been hurting for a month now, and I run 1 or 2 times a week still. 1 time on my own and 1 time at the poolee meetings. Its hurts to jump up when I push up with my toes, and hurts everytime I run and push off each step. ALTHOUGH, once Ive ran a lap or so, the pain seems to subside a little but I still cant give 100% in the beginning. Should I stop running completely even at the poolee meetings? It doesnt seem like shin splints, as there is no pain in my Shins. Any help and resolution would be greatly appreciated Marines.

You answered your own question but I will give you an outline of what needs to happen anyway.

Stop running for one week, but do not stop all other PT.

Over the course of that week you should:
Properly stretch you leg muscles, concentrating particularly on the calf stretch, 3 times a day.
Evaluate your foot wear. Running shoes and their insoles aren't designed for long term usage. If you have had them for 6 months of steady usage it is time for new shoes as yours are worn out.
Proper insoles. The ones you see at walmart are designed to give retirees comfort while they scuffle through the buffet line at Sizzler.
They are not designed for heavy use or proper support.
Especially when running on pavement (don't do that if you can help it by the way).
I roll out with the green superfeet insoles.

You can listen to me or not, I don't care.
It's your body to screw up if you don't though.

Enrique2010
08-13-09, 05:30 AM
Alright, I was just trying to find the proper diagnosis for what I am experiencing but will do Cpl. Ill lay off the running for a week or two.

Pete0331
08-13-09, 06:09 AM
Alright, I was just trying to find the proper diagnosis for what I am experiencing but will do Cpl. Ill lay off the running for a week or two.

Make sure you follow the plan in addition to not running for awhile.

Go to a doctor for a diagnosis, I can only give advice on therapy.