PDA

View Full Version : Concerns over MOS with enlistment

koala5
08-12-09, 10:45 PM
Hi folks and Devil Dogs

Please forgive and refer me to another thread if this topic's been hammered a thousand times already. :nerd:
I'm about to enter my first year of college and also plan on becoming a reservist for the Marine Corps. I don't actually plan on starting boot until next summer after my first year at university. I spoke to my recruiter just yesterday and asked him how likely it would be to get one of my top 3 MOS, the top being infantry. He said that it would be possible, but would only be able to guarantee it if I enlisted by September 1st (less than 3 weeks away now) Though it's a commitment I've already been prepared to make for months, I don't want to rush headlong through boot and into the fleet just to find out that I'd be screwed with a ****ty MOS for the next 6 years. What's your guys' take on the situation? Would it be a smart move to stave off enlistment until a later month, or do you think that it would be safe to go ahead and enlist now? Might seeing another recruiter be a good idea?

Thanks to all of you who have already earned the title,
A Prospective Marine Munchkin

dizark
08-12-09, 10:48 PM
While I can't offer much insight on your decision making, I do suggest you fill out a profile before you go any further as Marines here don't like it when rules aren't followed. Just helping you out, and good luck with your decision and school!

Petz
08-12-09, 10:52 PM
Hi folks and Devil Dogs

Please forgive and refer me to another thread if this topic's been hammered a thousand times already. :nerd:
I'm about to enter my first year of college and also plan on becoming a reservist for the Marine Corps. I don't actually plan on starting boot until next summer after my first year at university. I spoke to my recruiter just yesterday and asked him how likely it would be to get one of my top 3 MOS, the top being infantry. He said that it would be possible, but would only be able to guarantee it if I enlisted by September 1st (less than 3 weeks away now) Though it's a commitment I've already been prepared to make for months, I don't want to rush headlong through boot and into the fleet just to find out that I'd be screwed with a ****ty MOS for the next 6 years. What's your guys' take on the situation? Would it be a smart move to stave off enlistment until a later month, or do you think that it would be safe to go ahead and enlist now? Might seeing another recruiter be a good idea?

Thanks to all of you who have already earned the title,
A Prospective Marine Munchkin

don't call us Devil Dogs, you don't rate... read the rules.

to answer your question so is not to draw this thread out.

you recruiter is not asking you to ship out... just join the DEP... he has a spot for the 0300 field and you can have it if you DEP in when he said to...

you have one year from then to ship out to boot camp... which falls into your plans to do it next summer.

koala5
08-12-09, 11:00 PM
Sorry about the mistake SSgt, it won't happen again. And thanks for answering my question. I'll be happy to follow the dates set to me by my recruiter.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-13-09, 03:42 AM
Let's try for a more COMPLETE profile, shall we?

CarolinaMarine
08-13-09, 07:47 AM
You're recruiter must be jerking you around because being a reservist guarantees you that job, like locked in no BS thats your MOS, assuming you have a unit that supports that MOS near you. What you pick as your MOS in the reserves is what you get. Reservists get to choose the job field and the specific job.

Petz
08-13-09, 07:54 AM
but billets go away LCpl. You're not a recruiter, you don't know how things work inside and out.

GyC
08-14-09, 08:51 AM
You're recruiter must be jerking you around because being a reservist guarantees you that job, like locked in no BS thats your MOS, assuming you have a unit that supports that MOS near you. What you pick as your MOS in the reserves is what you get. Reservists get to choose the job field and the specific job.

You're getting orders Marine... Read his post... You're assuming things... S/F