PDA

View Full Version : Bumed Questions

shnon89
08-12-09, 11:29 AM
Hello to everyone out there. I'm Shannon. I've been on here for awhile but I don't think I have ever started a thread. My situation is a bit different and I have already searched the forum under all of the topics I'm discussing. I just wanted to know any insight on my specific situation that anyone has to offer. I don't have thin skin like some people that have posted in the past so if there is something wrong with my post don't hesitate to correct me (which I doubt anyone will haha).

So here it goes. When I was 17-18 (I'm 20 now) I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression by a normal physician at a clinic. The physician then put me on anti-depressants. I was on these for less than a year I believe. I was never sent to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. I did go to see one on my own free will to see whether I actually had anxiety/depression and she gave me a note basically saying I didn't. I got off the medication in May of 2008. I wasn't weened off and felt perfectly fine. At the 6th month mark after being off of the medication I got a note from my doctor saying I was fine. During this time I was trying to get in the Army. I took the ASVAB in May of 2008 (got an 82) and was allowed to take the physical portion at MEPS in November of 2008 (everything was fine I was just temporarily disqualified til I was off the medication for the full year). In December of 2008 I decided after alot of research on various branches that I wanted to join the Marine Corps. So after the one year mark of being off the medication I was allowed to submit my medical records to Bumed. They were sent in June of this year. I have spoken to my recruiter a few times but I personally wanted anymore insight anyone could give me on here. O yeah I have a couple more things to add. I can pass the IST(partly thanks to Army ROTC), I have 52 college credit hours (I will have about 41 after this year along with an associates in Economics) and have some of the knowledge memorized. The only thing I need to do is lose about 8lbs to be under the weight requirements. I weight 170 and need to be 164.

I wanted to know the following:

1. About how long does it take Bumed to reach a decision?

2. What are the chances that it will be approved (I know it depends on
the situation)?

3. Is it true that since I waited the full year before submitting my medical
records that I cannot be permenantly disqualified?

4. If the Marine Corps denies my waiver request, could I get into the Navy
or Army (I'm deadset on the Marine Corps though)?

Thanks for any and all insight that is given in advance.

Very Respectfully,
Shannon

"Patriot of a Dying Breed":iwo:

Lisa 23
08-12-09, 11:55 AM
This is a situation that GyC can probably answer for you, being that he is a career Recruiter.
Good Luck to you. :thumbup:

shnon89
08-12-09, 12:05 PM
Ok. Thanks. :banana:

Erico2069
08-12-09, 12:16 PM
Hey Shannon, I just went through the Bumed process a few months ago to get back in this wonderful Marine Corps. After active duty I was DQ'ed from being in because I had a major back surgery done, but I had an awesome prior service recruiter who was determined to help me out. After about a month i was given the green light, just keep your head up and be patient.

1. About how long does it take Bumed to reach a decision? Depends on the condition and the dr and the recruiter, mine took about a month, but i had an awesome prior service recruiter who was all over it.

the situation)? theyre are no chances, again depends on who looks at it really.

GySgtRet
08-12-09, 12:18 PM
What brought on the "When I was 17-18 (I'm 20 now) I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression by a normal physician at a clinic." Was there a event in your life that made this a question in your life? Was it just the fact of your matruring and leaving home for college? Did you made a statement in your BUMED package stating why you had this diagnosis? If you are 20 now and have had no episodes since then you are probably ok? Your BUMED pacakge if it complete shouldn't take more than 6 months to review. I have couple of other concerns here though. You went from wanting to and qualifing for a Army program now you want to become a Marine. The other is your weight. If you go from service to service nobody will take you seriously. Your weight is a problem there will not be a weight waiver. It seems to me that you are setting your goals way too low for yourself. A Marine recruiter will not waste their time on anybody that hasn't made the commitment to themselves or to the Marine Corps. You do however show somewhat of a commiment to yourself with your college credits and that looks real good in your favor.

The MPPM is very strick in the perameters that are set for the minimums for mential, physical, and moral standards. I hope that I have given you some insight. If you have any further questions stay on here and come back oncec in a while you may get your answer. IN my proferssinal opnion you ahve a chance but you have a lot of work to do to get qualified. Don't make it the recruiter's responsibility to qualify you be proactive.

Gunny out
:usmc:

GyC
08-12-09, 09:28 PM
Hello to everyone out there. I'm Shannon. I've been on here for awhile but I don't think I have ever started a thread. My situation is a bit different and I have already searched the forum under all of the topics I'm discussing. I just wanted to know any insight on my specific situation that anyone has to offer. I don't have thin skin like some people that have posted in the past so if there is something wrong with my post don't hesitate to correct me (which I doubt anyone will haha).

So here it goes. When I was 17-18 (I'm 20 now) I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression by a normal physician at a clinic. The physician then put me on anti-depressants. I was on these for less than a year I believe. I was never sent to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. I did go to see one on my own free will to see whether I actually had anxiety/depression and she gave me a note basically saying I didn't. I got off the medication in May of 2008. I wasn't weened off and felt perfectly fine. At the 6th month mark after being off of the medication I got a note from my doctor saying I was fine. During this time I was trying to get in the Army. I took the ASVAB in May of 2008 (got an 82) and was allowed to take the physical portion at MEPS in November of 2008 (everything was fine I was just temporarily disqualified til I was off the medication for the full year). In December of 2008 I decided after alot of research on various branches that I wanted to join the Marine Corps. So after the one year mark of being off the medication I was allowed to submit my medical records to Bumed. They were sent in June of this year. I have spoken to my recruiter a few times but I personally wanted anymore insight anyone could give me on here. O yeah I have a couple more things to add. I can pass the IST(partly thanks to Army ROTC), I have 52 college credit hours (I will have about 41 after this year along with an associates in Economics) and have some of the knowledge memorized. The only thing I need to do is lose about 8lbs to be under the weight requirements. I weight 170 and need to be 164.

I wanted to know the following:

1. About how long does it take Bumed to reach a decision?

the situation)?

3. Is it true that since I waited the full year before submitting my medical
records that I cannot be permenantly disqualified?

4. If the Marine Corps denies my waiver request, could I get into the Navy
or Army (I'm deadset on the Marine Corps though)?

Thanks for any and all insight that is given in advance.

Very Respectfully,
Shannon

"Patriot of a Dying Breed":iwo:

If your BUMED has been out since June, I doubt it has been approved, as they generally are viewed and approved 10-20 days tops, and if submitted at least 24 hours prior to the last weekday of the month, will be viewed and cleared by the end of that day... Are you saying that they submitted a BUMED and you were overweight at the MEPS physical?

Tan0311
09-23-12, 04:06 PM
There is a blog post on this subject that is pretty good.
http://gruntshot.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/those-nasty-bumed-boards-how-to-get-the-medical-waiver-you-need/

PvtShane
10-03-12, 08:23 AM
"The physician then put me on anti-depressants."

We are cutting down big-time. This is a big red flag for the Marine Corps. Anything is possible, but giving you an honest answer, your chances are slim.