PDA

View Full Version : Dress Blues

stevemorales816
08-11-09, 08:43 PM
Are Dress Blues issued after graduation or do Marines have to purchase them?

TRosa06
08-11-09, 08:45 PM
They are issued in boot camp. A few years back they had to be purchased though.

stevemorales816
08-11-09, 08:49 PM

Ok thanks Marine. I have a buddy at work who was in the Marines back in the early 90's and he said he never bought them because they were too expensive. Would you happen to know how much they used to go for?

ecom
08-11-09, 08:52 PM
Coat plus all the accessories would be around $250.

samthomas
08-11-09, 08:54 PM

An interesting and expensive change.

BR34
08-11-09, 09:00 PM
Coat plus all the accessories would be around $250.

More like 350. I bought mine, and got some trousers from a Marine that was EASn, and mine cost about 310.

But I wasn't issued ANYTHING blue in bootcamp, so that may be why.

stevemorales816
08-11-09, 09:06 PM
I guess that was expensive according to the 1992 pay scale. Doesn't seem that expensive to me.

ecom
08-12-09, 03:18 AM
I purchased mine in 2004 and $250-$350 ins't exact inexpensive for something you won't wear very much. I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times I've worn them.

MD8724
08-12-09, 03:47 AM
Once. I have worn mine once, minus pre Ball inspections. If you want to get married in them or wear them to the ball, go for it, but if you can handle alphas to the ball and a tux for a wedding (most places give the grooms tux for free), then they aren't worth it. i can count on one hand how many times I have worn charlies/bravos/alpahs. There really is no point in having them if you plan on getting out. It's good that they issue them now though.

marine95
08-12-09, 05:02 AM
I purchased mine in 2004 and $250-$350 ins't exact inexpensive for something you won't wear very much. I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times I've worn them.

Be a recruiter and you will wear them all the time. Not to mention they will give you another 2 pairs. It's a good time to be a recruiter right now.

Supersquishy
08-12-09, 05:43 AM
In the Chow Hall at MCRD San Diego they had a big picture on one of the walls with Marines in Dress Blues with President Kennedy inspecting them. I thought Cool we get Dress Blues......NOT! Had to buy ours in 97-2001 Thanks to the Clintons for their budget cuts. By the way Hillary decided that Marines shouldnt wear the Dress Blues in the White House and demanded them wear suites.:devious:

MD8724
08-12-09, 05:45 AM
White house is business man. Not a holiday ball. :)

Supersquishy
08-12-09, 05:54 AM
White house is business man. Not a holiday ball. :)

Marines serving at the White House deserve being in uniform at least, not a Monkey Suit.

0231Marine
08-12-09, 07:26 AM
Keep in mind that you are issued them but they aren't free. They come out of your pay just like all of your other uniforms. You just don't see the money since you're in bootcamp and you're not actually the one forking over the money for them. You're still buying them, just without your input.

BR34
08-12-09, 07:53 AM
In the Chow Hall at MCRD San Diego they had a big picture on one of the walls with Marines in Dress Blues with President Kennedy inspecting them. I thought Cool we get Dress Blues......NOT! Had to buy ours in 97-2001 Thanks to the Clintons for their budget cuts. By the way Hillary decided that Marines shouldnt wear the Dress Blues in the White House and demanded them wear suites.:devious:

I wasn't issued blues in 2007. What president do you want to blame that on?

Old Marine
08-12-09, 08:36 AM
There are many, many, many, many threads about Dress Blues in this forum. WHY DON'T YOU SEARCH FOR THE INFORMATION YOU WANT.

Petz
08-12-09, 08:46 AM
Keep in mind that you are issued them but they aren't free. They come out of your pay just like all of your other uniforms. You just don't see the money since you're in bootcamp and you're not actually the one forking over the money for them. You're still buying them, just without your input.

you are given an initial issue allowance... the cost of your initial issue seabag is how much you get.

then you don't get a clothing allowance your first year (everything is supposed to be new) then half the second and third... then if you reenlist you get the full clothing allowance in your fourth year.

Marines who did get the blues issued in boot camp will get a little extra over the next 3 years (one year has already gone by) to have to have them by 2011... then you will need to have them inspection ready... however those who are issued them now can be inspected in them at any time...

stevemorales816
08-12-09, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all of the info Marines. I apperciate your time. I've searched the threads and read about twenty of them with out finding an answer. Thats when I decided to post this question.

Petz
08-12-09, 04:36 PM
it's acceptable to say gentlemen....

stevemorales816
08-12-09, 04:42 PM
it's acceptable to say gentlemen....

I tried that before and a female Marine corrected the heck outa me. Not sure if it was in a post or the chat.

Petz
08-12-09, 04:55 PM
well, be aware of your surroundings, and inform the female that her name does not scream "FEMALE MARINE!!" so she should understand that since her intention was to mask her sex she should not be upset by such a standard term.

then put under it "-SSgt Petzold" so they know who it came from....maybe it'll keep you out of the hot seat!!! haha.

Lisa 23
08-12-09, 05:48 PM
Well, I can say that the female Marine who corrected you wasn't me. I just got done looking through all of my posts. This correction must have happened when you were in chat.

Petz
08-12-09, 06:37 PM
haha... I thought it was you that's why I made my last post...! haha..

Lisa 23
08-12-09, 08:09 PM
haha... I thought it was you that's why I made my last post...! haha..

Yeah, I know, LOL! That's why I went and checked through all of my posts to make sure it wasn't me.

Petz
08-12-09, 08:30 PM
:d