PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions

kentmitchell
08-11-09, 09:33 AM
As we know, every Marine has an opinion on EVERYTHING!!!!!

What is your opinion on this greeting to military that's going around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo

kentmitchell
08-11-09, 11:08 AM
Here's what I learned about that gesture:

It's a muslim greeting. Don't know how it would go over with guys returning from Iraq or Afghanistan.

Body language

Uyghur greetings are attached to a set standard of body language. The general rule is, follow the other person’s lead. To fit in better, follow these… guidelines:

- For men: As you say your part of the greeting, raise your right hand to your chest, palm open, and place your palm on your chest. (This may be a universal gesture of sincerity.) This may be accompanied by a slight bow. If you are much younger than the man you’re facing, you may extend both hands to shake his single right hand. For best results, you should simply follow his lead at this point.

IDontWheeze
08-11-09, 11:37 AM
As a non-Marine, I think its nice when anyone wants to show support. Especially when 90% of this country seems to have no clue, or just doesn't care that brave men and women are fighting and dying everyday overseas, BUT I DO CARE...I generally will just say a quick "Thanks for your service, my family appreciates it." and be on my way. BTW - is this ok? Are you Marines ok with a civillian thanking you for serving even if we don't know you personally? Or, would you rather me just not say anything and carry on? All the Marines that I know personally are pretty humble guys, but I just feel the need to support you Marines, and let my support be known. If I saw Tiger Woods walk right by me in the airport (I know he has his own jet so bad example), I most definately would try to politely ask for his autograph without being obnoxious. I guess I feel the same way when I see Marines. You Marines are the real heroes, and I just want to let you boys know that I am rooting for you!

Drafter
08-11-09, 11:44 AM
Nice thing to do. I just give a nice deep and loud... YUT!