PDA

View Full Version : Marrying a 17 year old?

earningthetitle
08-10-09, 09:06 PM
My girl and I have been together for 4 years now since I was 15 and she was 13 when we first started dating and now its 19 and 17. We've been engaged for the past year and a half and her parents are cool with our plans to get married before she turns 18. My question is does the Marine Corps have an order against us marrying before she turns 18 as its still more than a few months away, but we'd like to be married before my first deployment.

Alisium
08-10-09, 09:09 PM
Oh Jesus Christ.

Devil Dog, the worst thing you can possibly do right now is get married. Never in your first four and definitely not as a young boot PFC about to go away on deployment.

I know I didn't answer your question directly but that's about the same thing your command is going to say to you when you go to them, if your lucky. More than likely you'll be counting leaves.

WTF is it with boots and the need to get married?

EDIT:

For the record, the UCMJ sets the age limit at 16 for bang-ability, or whatever the state says (which ever is greater).

I don't know about marriage.

Roger Shepherd
08-10-09, 10:39 PM
I don't think you should get married right now give it a year or two and see what happens. I have seen a lot of marriage not work out when they are just starting out in the Marine Corps. I would talk to her and see what she thinks about it. I had a lot of friends that it don't work out for them. But it is up to you Friend. Take care and I hope this helps you.

Alisium
08-10-09, 10:43 PM
I think I may have come off as an azz.

Wasn't my intention. I just get worried for young Marines like yourself. Seen them get themselves into schitty situations and I hope to help other Marines learn from their mistakes (and any of mine. )

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 11:43 PM
You can get married, and you'll get paid a little extra. Just keep in mind that if you get divorced, you're probably going to be paying her bills for the rest of your life, especially if you start spawning rugrats. If I were you, I would talk to one of your NCOs and get some advice and if you decide to do get married, he/she can help you get the paperwork started.

yellowwing
08-11-09, 12:48 AM
Put half your money into savings bonds and marry in 4 years. She'll probably be done with college by then. You'll have experience and a healthy nest egg, and she'll have that degree. Run that by the parents and see what they say.

yellowwing
08-11-09, 12:53 AM
Belay all that logical trash...you are so getting married! :banana:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=50434&dateline=1249437684&type=profile

Congrats!

JoeInVille
08-11-09, 12:55 AM
Contract marriage in my opinion.

Donut Brigade
08-11-09, 01:00 AM
Belay all that logical trash...you are so getting married! :banana:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=50434&dateline=1249437684&type=profile

Congrats!

OMG, that's Lovejoy, I didn't know till you posted the pic.

Lovejoy, I hope you know that everyone hated you when you were the class leader. My roommate came back every night and beat a doll that looked like you for two hours.

Back on topic.

earningthetitle
08-11-09, 01:08 AM
Since when do Marines think logically? Thanks for the info, I've definetly thought about the risk, divorce rate in the country let alone our Corps is tragically high. But I think the reward is worth the risk to me. Might not be saying that if I get one of those lovely "dear john's". She's a good ol' texas girl and I love her, just don't want to end up standing in chucks at POA for a sentencing. Oregon law allows marriage at 17 with Parents permission so I know I'm safe there.

Sergeant M
08-11-09, 01:34 AM
Legally you should be fine. Best of luck to you!

0231Marine
08-11-09, 07:03 AM
Go for it!

thewookie
08-11-09, 07:08 AM
Don't do it, Marine. There is soo much azz out there in this world today that is willing to give it up to you. Especially now that you're a Marine. Jeez. :)

The odds of divorce in this country today are terrible, maybe not after the first year, maybe not after five years, but after ten years do you really think you're still gonna want the same things. I know you say, and you think you will, but odds are not in your favor. Marriage works out for some people, but I'm telling you, it doesn't work out for MANY more. Don't get suckered in. Good Luck. Semper Fi

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 07:10 AM
Since you are about to deploy, you should hold off. I am assuming that the two of you haven't been apart much at all since you started dating. The deployment will be a lot longer for her than it will be for you. If you make it through your first deployment and neither of you have any doughts about your loyalty to each other, then go for it. Not saying anything about your relationship, but I have seen entirely to many young Marines get married prior to deplyments only to come home and start going through a divorce. Give it a test ride for one deployment.

Isrowei
08-11-09, 07:14 AM
Well, I think his mind is made up.

He'll see the foolishness of it in a few years. Maybe she'll see it sooner and that's what starts the breaking apart process. She's 17 now? I give her 2 more years till she gets to college and the first few alcohol-fueled "indiscretions" come to light.

Good luck. Enjoy the extra BAH while it lasts.

Don't have kids.

thewookie
08-11-09, 07:17 AM
Since you are about to deploy, you should hold off. I am assuming that the two of you haven't been apart much at all since you started dating. The deployment will be a lot longer for her than it will be for you. If you make it through your first deployment and neither of you have any doughts about your loyalty to each other, then go for it. Not saying anything about your relationship, but I have seen entirely to many young Marines get married prior to deplyments only to come home and start going through a divorce. Give it a test ride for one deployment.

Some very good points here from the Gunny, listen to the wisdom, Marine.

Deployments are killers on young couples, especially young couples that have ONLY been with one person and started with that person at a young age. Very concerning, Marine - your relationship is gonna enter uncharted waters and even the strongest and best of them get side-swiped by a 6 - 9 month deployment.

thewookie
08-11-09, 07:22 AM

He'll see the foolishness of it in a few years. Maybe she'll see it sooner and that's what starts the breaking apart process. She's 17 now? I give her 2 more years till she gets to college and the first few alcohol-fueled "indiscretions" come to light.

Don't have kids.

WELL SAID.:thumbup:

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 07:24 AM
Deployments are killers on young couples, especially young couples that have ONLY been with one person and started with that person at a young age. Very concerning, Marine - your relationship is gonna enter uncharted waters and even the strongest and best of them get side-swiped by a 6 - 9 month deployment.

Exactly right. If they have been together this long.... whats a few more months matter? Some people are hard headed though and regardless of advice given, they still have the mentallity that it's not gonna happen to me. My Dad once told me when I went through a divorce with my first wife.... "Women are like street cars in San Fransico.... You can ride one for a couple of blocks and another one will come along shortly to ride in another direction". That is not intended to offend any women either. Their is just to many people in this world to take chances against learned advice.

DocGreek
08-11-09, 07:25 AM
:evilgrin:.......ARE YOU A MARINE, OR SOME ARMY PUZZY???....If you have to ask a life changing question like that...HERE...you have DOUBTS, and NO BALLS to do the right THING!!!...EH?

0231Marine
08-11-09, 07:27 AM
By the way, I was not serious when I said, "go for it". I am in agreement with every one of these Marines on here and can not emphasize enough that you need to wait until your first deployment is over and see where you guys stand. You're both young and I'm sure you both think you love each other but neither of you has any experience in the real world yet.

sparkie
08-11-09, 07:44 AM

Don't have kids.

But I'm glad I didn't take it in '71. She was 17, I was a 19 yr old PFC, and it's been 38 wonderful years, You just don't know,,,, Or differen't times?

Phantom Blooper
08-11-09, 07:54 AM
Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f%ck the prom queen! -Sean Connery in The Rock

This is your quote from your profile...and the above pictures are also.....so was she the prom queen?:evilgrin:

sparkie
08-11-09, 07:59 AM
Being a student of marriage, and the human condition, I will give you all the secret.
Self-less-ness. You both need to practice that the rest of your life.
Once understanding that, A woman Requires love, A man Requires respect.

If that combo falls together, all marriages will do fine, If not, it will fail.

Hard little pill to swallow, isn't it?

Phantom Blooper
08-11-09, 08:03 AM
A man Requires respect.

Been going strong for 29 years...

Does not a woman require RESPECT and a man require LOVE to make a marriage work?:evilgrin:

sparkie
08-11-09, 08:05 AM
Been going strong for 29 years...

Does not a woman require RESPECT and a man require LOVE to make a marriage work?:evilgrin:
Tis the other way 'round.

Ed Palmer
08-11-09, 08:05 AM
:evilgrin:.......ARE YOU A MARINE, OR SOME ARMY PUZZY???....If you have to ask a life changing question like that...HERE...you have DOUBTS, and NO BALLS to do the right THING!!!...EH?

Go for it The Wife and I have been married 52 + years, Had our problems and survived.
Against all poplar beliefs you can make it, if you want,I did.

Phantom Blooper
08-11-09, 08:07 AM
I think both need the same dose...give and take.

With plenty of elbow room.

:evilgrin:

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 08:09 AM
With plenty of elbow room.

That my friend is very true. :beer:

BR34
08-11-09, 08:40 AM
Good job everybody. Now he's gonna get married to just prove everyone wrong. His parents, her parents, now you all...fuel to their rebellious fire.

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 08:42 AM
Good job everybody. Now he's gonna get married to just prove everyone wrong. His parent, her parents, now you all...fuel to their rebellious fire.

Like you have nevber been rebellious. :D

BR34
08-11-09, 08:44 AM
Yep...I'm in the Marine Corps cause my mommy told me to join the Navy.

Showed her!!!

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 08:46 AM
Yep...I'm in the Marine Corps cause my mommy told me to join the Navy.

Showed her!!!

:beer:

AAV Crewchief
08-11-09, 08:48 AM
Oh Jesus Christ.

Devil Dog, the worst thing you can possibly do right now is get married. Never in your first four and definitely not as a young boot PFC about to go away on deployment.

I know I didn't answer your question directly but that's about the same thing your command is going to say to you when you go to them, if your lucky. More than likely you'll be counting leaves.

WTF is it with boots and the need to get married?

EDIT:

For the record, the UCMJ sets the age limit at 16 for bang-ability, or whatever the state says (which ever is greater).

I don't know about marriage.

+1 on this post. You haven't even deployed yet and you want to get married? WTF? Since she has never KNOWN anyone else in the "biblical sense" (I guess), what's going to happen the first time you leave and she is left at Camp Lejuene or somewhere else unattended and lonely? If the CORPS wanted you to have a wife they would issue you one! Anyhow, you won't be able to afford **** as your rank will barely pay for your wants and needs being single. Please at least make it to the halfway point of your enlistment before you tie the knot.

Old Marine
08-11-09, 08:49 AM
But I'm glad I didn't take it in '71. She was 17, I was a 19 yr old PFC, and it's been 38 wonderful years, You just don't know,,,, Or differen't times?

Its called MATURITY Sparkie. I married my wife when she was 17 and I was 21 and that was 53 years ago. I was a Sgt. E-4 and we had some rough times, but all marriages have rough times. Depends on if you can handle the pressure.

AAV Crewchief
08-11-09, 08:54 AM
Its called MATURITY Sparkie. I married my wife when she was 17 and I was 21 and that was 53 years ago. I was a Sgt. E-4 and we had some rough times, but all marriages have rough times. Depends on if you can handle the pressure.

Agreed and a lot of these kids give up the first sign of trouble. I always put the Corps first. I knew when I was a young Marine that I couldn't balance marriage and my duty to the Corps. Even if I had stayed in, I think I would not have gotten married until at least I was a SSgt or above. Young troops have a lot to learn in their first years in the Marines. That culture shock of bootcamp doesn't necessarily end when you ride the bus out of Parris Island. CLNC was a real eye opener to me and I didn't arrive there until two years after I had joined as I took a slot to Okinawa right out of AAV school and then extended for an additional time period to take another slot at Camp Fuji.

BR34
08-11-09, 09:03 AM

A Sgt was a E4 back then? Which rank is new?

0331 2 0369
08-11-09, 09:04 AM
A Sgt was a E4 back then? Which rank is new?

Lance Cooly

BR34
08-11-09, 09:10 AM
Yea, I just found that. No LCpls till 1959.

I had no idea how much the rank structure has changed in the last 100 years. Here's a cool thread about it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61015

zx6rdr
08-11-09, 09:11 AM
OMG, that's Lovejoy, I didn't know till you posted the pic.

Lovejoy, I hope you know that everyone hated you when you were the class leader. My roommate came back every night and beat a doll that looked like you for two hours.

Back on topic.

HAHAHAHA... what are the chances of that??? thats some funny chit right there!

Phantom Blooper
08-11-09, 09:29 AM
One Day like Today... 8/1/60

1960 - The Marines Corps Enlisted Rank and Pay Structure Board revises the rank and structure. Lance Corporals, E8 and E9 are incorporated. The prefix "acting" was also abolished by The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General David M. Shoup, 22nd Commandant of the Corps.:evilgrin:

Drafter
08-11-09, 09:42 AM
They still teach recruits about "Jody" in bootcamp?

I'm not saying your gal aint the best there is and is not faithful. I'm saying it's hard to have and maintain long distance relationships. I'm married 21 years and been home every day of it. It's hard to keep things going to this day. Depends on the two of you at the end of the day.

While it's most likely legal, it's probably not a good idea.

mjhpgh
08-11-09, 11:14 AM
AHHHHHHH Step away from the alter and drop the ring. Wait you are way too young .Just ask me I am an expert ,been married twice and divorced twice. Seriously you are too young!

ameriken
08-11-09, 11:25 AM
I look at it like this. Wait on the marriage, the paper dont mean nuttin' since divorce can be easily obtained and divorce always has a price tag, both financially and emotionally.

IMO, what really matters in a relationship is the love and commitment two people have for each other. If there is a true love and commitment, they'll be there for each other whether married or not. Life has a way of testing that love, and joining the Marines may be one of life's greatest and most difficult tests.

If you don't get married, and both are truly in love and committed, then you'll be there for each other during and at the end of your enlistment. That's when you can measure your love and commitment and can make a better decision about marriage.

ssgtblue
08-11-09, 12:34 PM
Ok this is my take on this for what it is worth..... I agree with the good old Mustang on it pretty much....If you can keep it in your pants and she has something that will keep her away from all the other Whor^ Bags MC Wifes you will be fine..... You have big problems when wifes and Marines get board if you know what i mean.... If she is going to work full time on something she loves or goes to school then you should be fine. I didnt get married untill 2 years ago and Im so glad I waited, you meet some great girls in Thailand (and she is not Thai)....

earningthetitle
08-11-09, 01:48 PM

Just to clarify Doc I wasn't asking anyone's permission I was asking if there was anything in the MCO that made it illegal. I appreciate everyone's advice. Im coming up on my year mark in a few days, I know thats not a long time in but we've spent a majority of it away from each other. Things will be difficult and it's going to take a lot of discipline to stay finacially stable. We've had a lot of good mentors a long the way some with military experience and varying marriage experience. We've talked about some of the difficult things like me leaving for deployment and the plethora of Marines with a "caring" shoulder to cry on. I can't say we've covered everything, there are No kids planned for the near or distant future.

And donut brigade, your roommate sounds like a dip$h!*... Really beating a doll for two hours, that sounds like something a mentally handicapped kid would do... just sayin

Petz
08-11-09, 02:11 PM

Don't have kids.

had a PFC in Iraq the second time get sent home before we even got to fallujah 'cause his wife was cheating on him, neglected the newborn baby and had kilos of cocaine in the freezer when the MPs came to kick her out for having 4-5 guys over at a time at night with the neighbors hearing the fvcking going on.

he was a good kid... she was his sweetheart and they were together for 6 years... she never saw anything more than the next county over... so you can imagine her surprise when she had cash, car and the ability to go anywhere without asking her husband.

you'll regret it Marine...

tangovictor87
08-11-09, 02:24 PM

:thumbup:

charm1110
08-11-09, 05:30 PM

he was a good kid... she was his sweetheart and they were together for 6 years... she never saw anything more than the next county over... so you can imagine her surprise when she had cash, car and the ability to go anywhere without asking her husband.

I gotta agree with this.. you say you're only concerned about legally marrying a 17 yr. old well..your sncoic could've answered that. you brought it here and we tell you the odds are NOT in your favor for a successful marriage. Think about it, getting married at such a young age isn't easy but being in the Marine Corps. makes it even harder sure there are success stories but the odds are NOT in your favor at all. If you love this girl give her a chance to mature a little more and be sure she can handle the life that comes with being married to a Marine.

Semper Fi...:flag:

Rocky C
08-11-09, 06:16 PM
Whats the Hurry???
Take it one day at a time.
Concentrate on being a Marine.
If you get Deployed your Full Attention will be needed for the Job at Hand.
The last thing you or your Brother Marines need in a Combat situation is you thinking about your New Wife back home.
Stay Focused.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

samthomas
08-11-09, 08:16 PM
My girl and I have been together for 4 years now since I was 15 and she was 13 when we first started dating and now its 19 and 17. We've been engaged for the past year and a half and her parents are cool with our plans to get married before she turns 18. My question is does the Marine Corps have an order against us marrying before she turns 18 as its still more than a few months away, but we'd like to be married before my first deployment.

Forgive me for not reading all of the responses before responding...Definitely no on the idea of young Marines getting married. Under no circumstances should you consider getting married this soon in the your Marine Corps career. Aside from all the other reasons (financial, stress on marriage, youth, etc), the most important is the WestPac widows. Marines deploy and their wives get bored, and end up sleeping around. You just don't need it. If you love her, keep in touch, visit her and all that stuff, and maybe down the road think about marriage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

samthomas
08-11-09, 08:25 PM
If you do decide to marry her, please consider a plan for all of the contingencies, especially what she will do while you are deployed. A great bet is for her to live with her family...and be careful about your finances.

Alisium
08-11-09, 08:46 PM
Yea, I just found that. No LCpls till 1959.

I had no idea how much the rank structure has changed in the last 100 years. Here's a cool thread about it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61015

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/quiz1260outcome3.jpg

Holy Crap, 29 -37 was a mess!

And found another good on W.E.B Griffin's part (aside from his lousy books), he has Lcpl's in 1941.

Osotogary
08-11-09, 08:52 PM
earningthetitle,
Now, with the internet and e-mail, text messaging, etc., anyone can get a "Dear John" letter electronically with results being , sometimes, fatal. I had heard of a "contractor" who was so distraught that he blew his brains out. Of coarse the sad part was that he was "over there" trying to make a better life for his family. It doesn't do the psyche good to be in an area of conflict, with someone/group trying to kill you on a daily basis, and then receive heart breaking news ala a Dear John e-mail.
Heed the words of wisdom, they have your best interest at heart. As an add on, I have heard and met couples who fell in love at an early age and stayed in love with one another "until death do you part" but they weren't Marines.

Alisium
08-11-09, 08:54 PM
What you do is this:

Tell you're wife g/f et cetera, that if she really needs to fvck around, it's cool with you. Just be sure to bag it and stay on the pill.

That way, when you're balls deep in a Navy, Thai or Russian whoar you don't feel so guilty and she can't say anything.

And when you get back, things are peachy and you both have some new tricks to teach each other.

Isrowei
08-11-09, 09:26 PM

Actually Sparkie, I think it was different times. You see, you nailed it just a few posts later with the "selflessness" remark. Marriage is all about putting the other person first, and honestly... that isn't something that is nearly as common in teaching, nor in example, for today's generation. Hell, I got a good dose from my folks (they're at 35+ years now?) and my first years of marriage were ROUGH!! And I did wait. It's just hard to put someone else first.

Anyway, my hats off to you guys who have stuck it through for a half-century. That's amazing and a true example for us younger guys to follow. But, I do think it's a little different time than when you were growing up and a few years doesn't hurt any of these young Marines.

rb1651
08-11-09, 10:15 PM
Alisium,

That's actually some pretty good advice. I have known my wife since we were in fifth grade together, hooked up again during our sophmore year in high school, and knew that we would eventually get married. It's just that I knew that I was going to be in the Corps, and I did not want her or myself to feel any pressure of a commitment when we knew that I was not always going to be around.

During the 10 years I spent in the Corps we constantly were in touch, and I would see her while I was on leave. One thing we never did was discuss what went on while I was away, that way any jealous feelings were left out. She enjoyed her time, and I enjoyed mine. ;)

Having said all that, our destiny was fulfilled 6 months after I got out of active duty, and we will be celebrating our 22nd year of marriage this year. Just some food for thought for you, earningthetitle.

jprtech
08-13-09, 07:34 PM
My advise to you...

Marriage is tough on a young Marine and you and your lady both have to be strong.

When I was a young PFC at my 1st duty station overseas, I met a young lady and wanted to get married. My SSgt told me this; "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife they would issue you one." Well, my command at the time also frowned on the idea of young Marines getting hitched. I was stubborn and it was a uphill struggle to go through all the channels on base, but in the end, I got my wish. Take heed...I indeed struggled. Depending on your parent unit, some Marines frown upon "brown baggers", that's what we call married Marines that live off base or in base housing. Some will do anything to make your life a living hell. Try not to skate out of any extra duty cause they will be keeping an extra eye on you. When I was in Hell Bent Charlie Co., we had a SSgt tough as nails. We brown baggers didn't cut a break at all. We came in on Thurs for field day and if the barracks failed the field day inspection, guess what! Brown baggers are coming in all weekend long to square it away. Every unit is different. If you are in a 03XX or 13XX MOS...look out! These units expect their Marines to be tight. I found out how hard it is to be tight with your fellow Marines when you gotta run home after working hours. It might be different now, I have no idea. That's the way it was when I was in.

In any regard, I am not trying to scare you or change your mind in anyway, I just want you to be aware of what you might expect out in the fleet as a young married Devil Dog.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck to you and yours and I wish you the best.

earningthetitle
08-13-09, 09:10 PM
So I brought up the topic of deployment with her again. I won't find out what squadron I'm going to for atleast another few weeks. As soon as I find out where that is, I'm going find out when they're deploying and well go from there. If theres not a lot of time we'll likely wait until I get back.

Petz
08-13-09, 09:13 PM
what if you go 18 months to oki/iwakuni???

BR34
08-13-09, 09:19 PM
In the wise words of rapper Lil Wayne, "only thing I fear is God and weddings."

earningthetitle
08-13-09, 09:28 PM
Ill definetly learn how to scuba dive SSgt, I hear Japans great for that.
But thats a curveball that I'm only going stir worry about if it comes up. If we got married then she could stay living with her parents and go to school and we'd have a great savings when I got back, with the possibility that she gets lonely or frustrated and decides to big kick left. Also if anything happens to her I'd be able to come back. On the other hand if we don't get married it could become a "I'm gone for 2 years, won't resent you if you don't wanna hang out for it" type of situation.

Phantom Blooper
08-20-09, 07:32 AM
"Congratulations, my boy!"

"I'm sure you'll look back and remember today as the happiest day of your life."

"But I'm not getting married until tomorrow," the earningthetitle protested.

"I know"

"That's what I mean." :beer:

:evilgrin:

jetdoc
08-20-09, 08:10 AM
I am with you Capt, he has made up his mind already.

If you guys have been together for so long and have been engaged for a year and a half why not stay engaged for a while longer? Why rush it? If you two love each other then waiting a bit longer won't hurt anything as love lasts forever.

That said, I knew my wife for about 6 months before we got married and we were the exact ages of you guys, I was 19, she was 17. I can't tell you how many people said it was a very bad idea, it wasn't going to last, etc, etc.

That was July of 1980....next July will be our 30th anniversary. So you really can't tell what will happen. I know some that dated for years and years, lived together, got married and got divorced within 5 years.

You just don't know, only God knows.

GyC
08-20-09, 09:52 AM
It definitely sounds like your mind is made up, and if so then congrats. There are probably plenty of Marines on here that would tell you do it, or don't do it based on personal experiences or those that they have seen be successful or unsuccessful at their relationships. I don't believe legally, you would have any issues, however, personally I would advise to wait if you were one of my Marines. I'm currently on Recruiting Duty, and I've seen posts in this thread speaking to the divorce rate in the Country and the Corps. Over the past few years, I have personally seen several Sgt's and SSgt's go through painful divorces/proceedings or extensive counselling to repair relations with their spouses, as well I myself doing so. It doesn't matter what Rank you are or how old you are, it's the time we devote to our profession, and sometimes, our spouses don't understand that. On the flip side of that, sometimes we don't prioritize well enough to make time when we have it, to enrich those relations. So, advice wise, make sure that you both understand the profession you're in, and that there will be times when the Marine Corps comes first, and there will be times when you have to fight to make your relationship #1. Most times, you'll never really find a balance, but as long as there is understanding and support between the two of you, you'll be ok. Good luck out there, and stay safe!! S/F

GSEMarine94
08-20-09, 10:08 AM
I'm going to have to side with Jetdoc on this one, it all depends on the individuals. My wife and I were married 8 months after we met, that was 14 years ago last week. But on the same hand I knew Marines that married their high school sweet heart right after boot and were divorced before they got to their duty station.

bigdog43701
08-20-09, 10:10 AM
go for it...i was in same situation..me 19 her 17...got married and september 20th it will be 38 years (yes she needs amedal for putting up with me)

jetdoc
08-22-09, 08:43 AM
I'm going to have to side with Jetdoc on this one, it all depends on the individuals. My wife and I were married 8 months after we met, that was 14 years ago last week. But on the same hand I knew Marines that married their high school sweet heart right after boot and were divorced before they got to their duty station.

I hear you GSE. You can't figure out life. Its like folks that live a long life and asking them the "secret" to a long life. Everyone has a different answer. I know some elderly folks who sware drinking wine everyday helps...I know some that sware no drinking of alcohol is the secret. I have a inlaw thats about 88, everyday he has a cigar and two mixed drinks at a local VFW. Plus he drives himself wherever he needs to go, (not while drinking).

Congrats on your 14 years bro.

The Limey
08-24-09, 08:59 AM
I took R&R to get married while I was serving in N.I.
Worst thing I ever did. She hated forces life and we lasted 3 years, while I was away on maneuvers, she'd be getting 'banged' With hindsight, she came with baggage ( 2kids ) and I was nothing more than a meal ticket.

Parker-0321
08-24-09, 09:23 AM
On one hand you only live once, and mistakes make for better stories to tell when you're older. On the other, it's marriage... It will either make you or break you. If you aren't honestly 100% confident that you will die wearing the ring she gives you then I would reconsider.

If it where me in your boots, I'd wait. I hear love waits.

As far as marrying a 17 year old- I've come across no order prohibiting you from doing so.
Off Topic- Limey, I love your signature lol :yes:

The Limey
08-24-09, 09:44 AM
Off Topic- Limey, I love your signature lol :yes:

Thanks. I have to confess that I did 'borrow' it ;)