PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active Duty Question

dirty
08-10-09, 05:32 PM
As of now, I'm currently active duty, however, i am in the process of switching to reserves. Reason you ask? Unfortunately, stuff is not going well at home, not that any of you care, but i need to leave before I really don't get shipped out, for good. First things first, I was supposed to leave in November but my ship date got changed to January, not cool. My recruiter advised me if i wanted to leave earlier go reserve then go active. He also knows my current situation at home and told me that when i get back from boot, MCT, MOS school, to go to my unit and ask for a deployment (which i must do regardeless, veterans preference) and while going through that transition to go active. He said that while your away they HAVE to look at your paperwork. Is this true? I've also read somewhere that my best bet is to wait until my final school and when my MOS instructor has initial counseling with me, to state my intentions and ask the unit career counselor. That If I stay a reservist through picking up my MOS class, it will ensure that I am on the fast track through boot camp and whatever schools are needed. Is this also true? Is there any Marines out there that have this sort of thing? Your words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Petz
08-10-09, 06:57 PM
hahaha... you're gonna get disappointed.

maybe 5 years ago when we needed lots of AD Marines... now we don't.

if you go reserves you will stay reserves for a long time.

stick it out until January... with any luck you'll have a poolee or two screw up and you can get their spot.

none of your transitional command will care about making you AD at all...

you are right about one thing, reservists get the fast track back home... but the question you need to ask is, is your problems at home gonna be fixed with you there not making any money or since you call them problems... getting in trouble and getting kicked out of the Marine Corps?

my old reserve unit had a boot who ****ed in a cup the first drill... was confronted the next month that he popped for marijuana and he just walked off... got kicked out of the Corps... is that gonna help your problems at home? all the blood sweat and tears just to screw up at home?

dirty
08-10-09, 09:10 PM
its more family related than anything. i just need out, the end.

Erico2069
08-11-09, 01:51 PM
its more family related than anything. i just need out, the end.

Do you mean **** it you don't wanna join at all anymore? Or do you mean you just want out of active duty? Be specific. You can go active from reserve but its not the same as active duty, active reserves get put on a reserve station, not an active station such as Camp Pendleton. And even with that, in order to go active reserve there has to be a billet open for your MOS at a reserve station, so you can't just pick one and say "hey I wann join you!"

Petz
08-11-09, 01:58 PM
I talked to him... he doesn't mean screw it all I don't want to join anymore... It's personal and he's on the right track.

Erico2069
08-11-09, 01:59 PM
I talked to him... he doesn't mean screw it all I don't want to join anymore... It's personal and he's on the right track.

roger

Petz
08-26-09, 12:54 AM
what's the status of this????

dirty you still floating around?