PDA

View Full Version : Couldnt Ship

bthackrey
08-10-09, 04:42 PM
I was supposed to have left this past sunday but on saturday, we had a poole function and this particular one happened to be the IST. I did 10 pullups, 108 crunches but when it came to the run, i was not well hydrated and also told myself to take it easy and not to wear myself out because i was leaving the following day. I did not make the time by about 30 secs and later, when we all got back to the office, my recruiter told me i couldnt ship and had lost my job because of it. I was never told prior that i was required to pass to leave. Ive passed in the past, and could have if they had let me know. besides, if i really couldnt pass the run by about 30 secs, wouldnt i just be put in the pcp when i got there? I mean whats it in place for if they dont even send you? and what if this month had not been IST? Would they not have just sent me? My understanding is that the DEP is in place to prepare poolees UP UNTIL their ship date. and from there, if they are still a little slow or a little weak then they would just be put in the pcp. Now theyre telling me Im going to have to wait for an open slot, for someone to get dropped at MEPS right before leaving. Which of course is completely unpredictable. and as far as my job goes, why am I required to get rid of this job sou just because i got moved out? is it not guaranteed to me as long as i am in the DEP? Sorry this is so long but Im extremely frustrated because I feel like ive been battling to get into the marines, with a halfway decent job (Tier 1, 92 asvab) for waaaay too long now. bottom line, Am i required to pass the IST right before i am shipped? and are they really able to strip me of the job sou ive fought so hard to get?

Lisa 23
08-10-09, 04:46 PM
ALWAYS capitalize Marines!

bthackrey
08-10-09, 06:34 PM
thanks for the helpful response. the fact that you read through my entire post and had nothing more to say than, always capitalize Marines, shows how youre everything but completely full of yourself. Im looking for answers, ill do my best to remember to capitalize the word Marines but you should find something better to do with your time, like actually trying to help.

Petz
08-10-09, 06:47 PM
if you don't mind putting your recruiter out there and being ostracized by other recruiters in the area then go complain about it to the CO. tell him you would have given max effort had you known, you've passed in the past you don't want to go open contract because of this.

that's all I can do for you... now follow the rules like the Female Motivator suggested. We don't like answering questions when poolees can't follow directions.

bthackrey
08-10-09, 07:00 PM
understood. thanks

Supersquishy
08-10-09, 07:01 PM
sorry to hear about that, this world is full of frustrations, Me im going through some tough stuff with my company that would make your failure of your IST look like the muppets getting there ass kicked by Barney......First thing they teach you in the Marines is "Mission accomplishment". In order for you to have shipped out you would have finished the mission by passing the IST.What is the last letter represent in IST? TEST. You failed your mission, by failing the IST, you have no one other to blame but yourself, suck it up, run the next IST, pass it then keep charging to become a Marine, let this be a lesson. My 2 cents. Good Luck!

Lisa 23
08-10-09, 07:34 PM
thanks for the helpful response. the fact that you read through my entire post and had nothing more to say than, always capitalize Marines, shows how youre everything but completely full of yourself. Im looking for answers, ill do my best to remember to capitalize the word Marines but you should find something better to do with your time, like actually trying to help.

If you had read the rules in the Wannabe and Poolee forum [Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members, I wouldn't have had to correct you on capitalizing Marines.
Rule 3...
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

And here's rule 5...
Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

And remember, this is a MARINE site and you are just a guest here.

And to give my 2cents on your post, if you weren't well hydrated, you have no one to blame but yourself. IMO, that's a bad excuse. Oh, and NEVER do anything half way, like taking it easy because you didn't want to wear yourself out because you were suppossed to leave the next day for boot camp. You would've had the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday to rest up before leaving for PI.
Is that the excuse you are going to tell your Drill Instrustors when you don't accomplish something in boot camp..."I didn't want to wear myself out", because if that is, you're in for a rude awakening in boot camp young man.
If you want to be a Marine, you need to give 110% all the time, no exceptions and no excuses. I hope you learned your lesson.
Now get your act together, quit whinning and feeling sorry for yourself because you decided to take it easy, and the next time you have to take the IST, give it your all...110%!
Good Luck young man! :thumbup:

dizark
08-10-09, 08:09 PM
I was told I could have gone to my last poolee function but they weren't going to let any of us who were shipping the next day do anything but watch.

Petz
08-10-09, 09:12 PM
SHOOOSH! YOU RAN AN IST DEVIL DOG!!! what are you talking about??

every poolee runs one before shipping out!! you weren't special.

Moderboater
08-10-09, 09:31 PM
And for my 2 cents.

I never was the best runner, but I could still pass the IST quite easily even if I was going at a very slow pace. As long as you don't stop to catch your breath you will pass.

Hydration is not a reason..not saying you should do this but in the fleet it wasn't uncommon to have guys running with hangovers and doing just fine.

As far as the recruiter thing goes...well I would take that up the chain of command if I were you, b/c its my personal opinion that the recruiter might be full of it. If you have a certain MOS you want, stick with it and make sure you get what you want in writing. Recruiters are there to get bodies that are able to serve in my beloved Corps..it would be who of you to realize that and make sure you get what is promised.

I was impatient about going just like you were, your time will come..don't rush it. Get your IST score up, train your a** off and pass it. Just make sure you wait to get the MOS you want if thats what it takes..otherwise..well its not very easy to change your mos until after the 2yr mark ;).

GyC
08-11-09, 09:53 PM
And for my 2 cents.

I never was the best runner, but I could still pass the IST quite easily even if I was going at a very slow pace. As long as you don't stop to catch your breath you will pass.

Hydration is not a reason..not saying you should do this but in the fleet it wasn't uncommon to have guys running with hangovers and doing just fine.

As far as the recruiter thing goes...well I would take that up the chain of command if I were you, b/c its my personal opinion that the recruiter might be full of it. If you have a certain MOS you want, stick with it and make sure you get what you want in writing. Recruiters are there to get bodies that are able to serve in my beloved Corps..it would be who of you to realize that and make sure you get what is promised.

I was impatient about going just like you were, your time will come..don't rush it. Get your IST score up, train your a** off and pass it. Just make sure you wait to get the MOS you want if thats what it takes..otherwise..well its not very easy to change your mos until after the 2yr mark ;).

Why do Marines insist on coming on here and pooping on Recruiters... I'm recording information off of profiles now, and when you pick up Sgt, you're coming on Recruiting Duty... As for this young man's problem... Uh... He failed a Mile and a half run by 30 seconds, they have 13:30 to pass... Devilpup, is it not your job to physically prepare yourself for Recruit Training?? Regardless of when you had to run it and such, it's a mile and a half, not 2, not 3... Get yourself prepared to go, suck it up on the job, because you didn't hold true to your end of the bargain big dog... PCP?? We don't send Devilpups to Recruit Training to FAIL, we send those that are going to succeed, PCP doesn't exist... Current policy for Marine Corps DEP members in Eastern Recruiting Region, is that you don't go, unless you PASS the MINIMUM requirements for the IST... Good luck with your situation, get yourself prepared to go!! S/F

bthackrey
08-11-09, 10:25 PM
I understand. lesson learned, water under the bridge and whatnot, but now, does my recruiter need any consent to take my mos away from me? I dont mean to make the recruiters sound horrible, theyre good at what they do, but ive had a lot of trouble with these particular ones. Ive fought hard for anything but an open contract, i gave up two additional semesters of college just to find out that both times they were lying and STILL trying to slip me in with an open contract. I finally have an mos and would like to hold on to it. Not only would I be able to have the job, but if i keep the mos then i can ship any week when they have a drop out instead of having to wait for a drop out that had a decent mos attached. Also, today, I asked them to let me retest. I passed without problem, like i knew i could and should have done on sat. which means i can ship as soon as there is a drop out.(once we get the mos problem worked out) 110% all the time from this point on.

GyC
08-11-09, 10:43 PM
I understand. lesson learned, water under the bridge and whatnot, but now, does my recruiter need any consent to take my mos away from me? I dont mean to make the recruiters sound horrible, theyre good at what they do, but ive had a lot of trouble with these particular ones. Ive fought hard for anything but an open contract, i gave up two additional semesters of college just to find out that both times they were lying and STILL trying to slip me in with an open contract. I finally have an mos and would like to hold on to it. Not only would I be able to have the job, but if i keep the mos then i can ship any week when they have a drop out instead of having to wait for a drop out that had a decent mos attached. Also, today, I asked them to let me retest. I passed without problem, like i knew i could and should have done on sat. which means i can ship as soon as there is a drop out.(once we get the mos problem worked out) 110% all the time from this point on.

No consent necessary... We can't slip an Open Contract past you my friend, it's impossible. I don't know all the particulars in your job situation, but you put yourself in the current situation by not making it on the run on Saturday... Just be ready, and hopefully it will work out for you... S/F

Moderboater
08-12-09, 10:02 PM
Why do Marines insist on coming on here and pooping on Recruiters... I'm recording information off of profiles now, and when you pick up Sgt, you're coming on Recruiting Duty... As for this young man's problem... Uh... He failed a Mile and a half run by 30 seconds, they have 13:30 to pass... Devilpup, is it not your job to physically prepare yourself for Recruit Training?? Regardless of when you had to run it and such, it's a mile and a half, not 2, not 3... Get yourself prepared to go, suck it up on the job, because you didn't hold true to your end of the bargain big dog... PCP?? We don't send Devilpups to Recruit Training to FAIL, we send those that are going to succeed, PCP doesn't exist... Current policy for Marine Corps DEP members in Eastern Recruiting Region, is that you don't go, unless you PASS the MINIMUM requirements for the IST... Good luck with your situation, get yourself prepared to go!! S/F

Perhaps I shouldn't of "poop'd" on recruiters...but my personal experience with them is horrible. Perhaps your different with how you handle things. I was merely telling this poolie what happened to me, not saying it will happen to him, but if he doesn't go in there getting what he wants...well then say hello to FRO, cook, or infantry.

Petz
08-12-09, 10:26 PM
...my beloved Corps..it would be who of you to realize that and make sure you get what is promised.
...change your mos until after the 2yr mark ;).

you must not have listened very well in boot camp... behoove... it is a duty or responsibility for someone to do something...

and talking out your butt about the changing of the MOS.... it would behoove you to do more homework before showing your ass...

as for sharing your personal experience with a poolee that isn't constructive means it's what? obviously it won't help him... you may think it does, but in fact it just makes him paranoid about whether or not his recruiter is telling him lies or not.

until you become a recruiter I can assure you, you know nothing of what they do or speak.

Moderboater
08-13-09, 03:49 AM
you must not have listened very well in boot camp

Can't argue there..i'd be lying if I did. My drill instructors hated/respected me for it. No matter what they dished out to me, I always took it without complaint. I only had the oppurtunity to attend bootcamp once, so my theory was purposely **** the drill instructors off for better training..and they didn't dissapoint me :).

and talking out your butt about the changing of the MOS.... it would behoove you to do more homework before showing your ass...

Might of changed since I was in, I am not a recuriter, I don't want to be, nor will I be. When I enlisted however I was told from many a sources that you cannot change your mos until you are 2 years in, and even then its a pain. Then again there are alot of variables as I'm sure it depends on which unit you come from. For a marine coming from a infantry battlion, I can assure you that changing anything was not easy.

until you become a recruiter I can assure you, you know nothing of what they do or speak.

I will never become a recruiter, nor would I ever want to. From what I have seen of them where I live..well..I strive to uphold a higher level of integrity. The Corps has changed my life for the better, but you still need to be cautious of everything and everyone, then again the same can be said about life.

As stated though this is only my opinion and should be treated as such.

MD8724
08-13-09, 08:08 AM
If you don't want to go in Open Contract, then don't go in Open Contract. What is it with you guys worrying about your contract. Find some contract from google, practice reading it, learn what you're doing, go to MEPS, read the actual contract, know what you are signing.

It's not like they can make you go in with an Open Contract. It still requires your signature. if you don't like the current one, make them get you a new one. Kind of like buying a car, I suppose.

0331 2 0369
08-13-09, 08:19 AM
Something to keep in mind just so when/if you make it to a laid back command that doesn't pt regularly....... a Marine should be ready and able to pass a PFT at the drop of a dime. If they tell you today that you have a PFT tomorrow, you should be able to pass. Stay in shape and always give it your best everytime.

bthackrey
08-13-09, 06:08 PM

I do, however, know the result of what they do, the trouble its caused me. Ive put my life on hold numerous for what theyve spoken.

Not from the start but as of late, everything they say to me is verified through two people, my father who is oic (0-4) of professional development USAF ROTC, and my recent neighbor, Colonel Cordero USMC. The sheer amount of bs told me by these recruiters would make anyone sick. Thank you for your advice Moderboater, but believe me, anything said here about recruiters is no new knowledge to me.

bthackrey
08-13-09, 06:10 PM
New question: What happens after being in the DEP for 365 days? Is that not the limit? Do I have to reenlist?

GyC
08-14-09, 09:10 AM
Can't argue there..i'd be lying if I did. My drill instructors hated/respected me for it. No matter what they dished out to me, I always took it without complaint. I only had the oppurtunity to attend bootcamp once, so my theory was purposely **** the drill instructors off for better training..and they didn't dissapoint me :).

Might of changed since I was in, I am not a recuriter, I don't want to be, nor will I be. When I enlisted however I was told from many a sources that you cannot change your mos until you are 2 years in, and even then its a pain. Then again there are alot of variables as I'm sure it depends on which unit you come from. For a marine coming from a infantry battlion, I can assure you that changing anything was not easy.

I will never become a recruiter, nor would I ever want to. From what I have seen of them where I live..well..I strive to uphold a higher level of integrity. The Corps has changed my life for the better, but you still need to be cautious of everything and everyone, then again the same can be said about life.

As stated though this is only my opinion and should be treated as such.

Devil... These opinions should go in the Hooch, not this Forum... In my experience, Recruiters don't lie, cheat, or steal, we (being the Recruited) don't read very well... And that's my personal experience from back in '91... DEP is 365 days, and if you can't pass an IST after 365 days, hate to say it, but I'd flush you out and find somebody that could, that's just the way it is... Whether most know or not, everyone enlists into the Marine Corps under an Open Enlistment Option, and then is assigned a Program after found qualified... Some will probably say that they enlisted for this and that, but everyone filled out an Open agreement... On the SOU that you signed for your actual job, there is a block that you initialed that says if you don't ship on your assigned date, the Marine Corps reserves the right to pull your program, and you have the option of shipping under Open... Let's remember here that you agreed to ship on said day that you didn't... I'm sure if you get yourself ready, or are ready now and shipping, your NCOIC will work with you.. Good Luck! S/F

GyC
08-14-09, 09:20 AM
Sh^t, I just read the rest of your post... You know, I'm going to go ahead and give your Recruiter a call, and let him know you're calling him a liar on the internet, that should help your case......

Lisa 23
08-14-09, 09:26 AM
IMO, what it's sounding like is that this young man can't take responsiblility for his "own actions" in failing his IST before he went to boot camp, and is putting the blame on everyone else but himself.
Shame on you!

0331 2 0369
08-14-09, 09:31 AM
Some peoples kids..... you can dress them up but you can't take them out.:D

Petz
08-14-09, 09:50 AM
that's funny gunny, I'm gonna steal that from you. haha...

0331 2 0369
08-14-09, 10:12 AM
that's funny gunny, I'm gonna steal that from you. haha...

You can "acquire" it if you like. Marines don't lie, cheat or steal.

At least not from each other.:D

MD8724
08-14-09, 10:54 AM
Marines lie, cheat, and steal all the time Gunny. What are you talking about ? :)

bthackrey
08-14-09, 02:42 PM
With all due respect, <br />
<br />
Let me go ahead and repeat myself because it seems you didnt read too carefully. I am able to pass the IST just fine. I have plenty of times before with my recruiters and on...

bthackrey
08-14-09, 03:23 PM
Why are you concerned about joining the Marine Corps through your Recruiter if you feel he's not being honest with you?

Is there another way? because id love to not have to go through my recruiter.

GyC
08-14-09, 03:37 PM
Is there another way? because id love to not have to go through my recruiter.

Your Recruiter seems to genuinely care about your situation... Maybe you should work it out with them... You have a good program and you need to pass the IST...

stein07
08-14-09, 04:22 PM
With all due respect,

Let me go ahead and repeat myself because it seems you didnt read too carefully. I am able to pass the IST just fine. I have plenty of times before with my recruiters and on my own. Im not some kind of overweight out of shape loser. Ive been an athlete all my life and my recruiters are well aware of that. I simply was not informed that in order to ship, I had to pass the IST THE VERY DAY BEFORE. And all of you are right, I SHOULD HAVE. Now, im not blaming THAT on my recruiters. What I am blaming on them is that they NEVER tell anyone anything. Everythings a secret. And yes, my recruiters are a bunch of bullsh^tters and believe me, they already know what I think of them. I dont believe you truly understand the situation and, frankly, you cant discuss something you dont fully understand. So let me be more specific. My recruiters told me I qualified for every enlisted mos and I put in requests for months without response. A week before I was supposed to ship, I demanded they tell me why I hadnt received an mos sou yet. They were trying to slip me in with an open contract which i made clear would be a waste of both of our times. I gave up a semester of college during this time. Then, after months of footdragging, they informed me of the tier 1 tier 2 statuses and told me I needed to go back for another semester to get the hours. Of course this could have already been done had they not wasted my time. While I was going to school, i was being told that I would have the mos of my choosing when i was completed. Should have known better. Upon completion, they lied and told me that because of the Corps downsizing, a number of areas were closed and that they wouldnt be able to give me anything but an open contract, again. He even read off a fake list of completely closed mos's, including the mos infantryman, which i knew was not true. I took this information to my neighbor who pulled up a personal email from hq stating that the Corps is not downsizing but rather would meet mission this october. He called the NCOIC and they had me up there the following day offering me mos's that were somehow "completely closed" the previous day. Even then, i had to fight for an mos i wasnt completely overqualified for. And now, they somehow forgot to tell me "o you have to pass today to ship". Right. AND more importantly they wouldnt let me retest even once. Now, you REALLY think theyre trying to work with me huh?

And while youre busy reprimanding Moderboater for his opinions, let me just say, I value everyones opinions equally, positive, negative, or just plain informative. Id greatly appreciate if you wouldnt hinder me in finding a suitable solution to my current predicament by allowing all comments to be made in this OPEN forum. Thank you.

Also, since you now understand that I AM able to pass my IST, what happens when I am in the DEP for a year?

Be aware that there is a difference between lying and being ignorant. It is quite possible your recruiters were ignorant or did not accurately predict the future. They don't know everything (just like the rest of us). They may not of knowingly lied. It's an interesting question for them, though.

bthackrey
08-14-09, 05:17 PM
Right. I give them the benefit of the doubt where i can, and thats part of the reason im still in their office i think

usmcspitfire
08-15-09, 10:53 PM
With all due respect,

Let me go ahead and repeat myself because it seems you didnt read too carefully. I am able to pass the IST just fine. I have plenty of times before with my recruiters and on my own. Im not some kind of overweight out of shape loser. Ive been an athlete all my life and my recruiters are well aware of that. I simply was not informed that in order to ship, I had to pass the IST THE VERY DAY BEFORE. And all of you are right, I SHOULD HAVE. Now, im not blaming THAT on my recruiters. What I am blaming on them is that they NEVER tell anyone anything. Everythings a secret. And yes, my recruiters are a bunch of bullsh^tters and believe me, they already know what I think of them. I dont believe you truly understand the situation and, frankly, you cant discuss something you dont fully understand. So let me be more specific. My recruiters told me I qualified for every enlisted mos and I put in requests for months without response. A week before I was supposed to ship, I demanded they tell me why I hadnt received an mos sou yet. They were trying to slip me in with an open contract which i made clear would be a waste of both of our times. I gave up a semester of college during this time. Then, after months of footdragging, they informed me of the tier 1 tier 2 statuses and told me I needed to go back for another semester to get the hours. Of course this could have already been done had they not wasted my time. While I was going to school, i was being told that I would have the mos of my choosing when i was completed. Should have known better. Upon completion, they lied and told me that because of the Corps downsizing, a number of areas were closed and that they wouldnt be able to give me anything but an open contract, again. He even read off a fake list of completely closed mos's, including the mos infantryman, which i knew was not true. I took this information to my neighbor who pulled up a personal email from hq stating that the Corps is not downsizing but rather would meet mission this october. He called the NCOIC and they had me up there the following day offering me mos's that were somehow "completely closed" the previous day. Even then, i had to fight for an mos i wasnt completely overqualified for. And now, they somehow forgot to tell me "o you have to pass today to ship". Right. AND more importantly they wouldnt let me retest even once. Now, you REALLY think theyre trying to work with me huh?

And while youre busy reprimanding Moderboater for his opinions, let me just say, I value everyones opinions equally, positive, negative, or just plain informative. Id greatly appreciate if you wouldnt hinder me in finding a suitable solution to my current predicament by allowing all comments to be made in this OPEN forum. Thank you.

Also, since you now understand that I AM able to pass my IST, what happens when I am in the DEP for a year?

bthackrey,

It seems you have had a bad experience with the Marine Recruiters so far. I work in an Officer Selection Office temporarily, and often, we get mixed or incomplete information, and have to make decisions with that information. I can only imagine how difficult it is on the enlisted side of recruiting.

On another note, I cannot help but be irked at your post toward GySgt C. You seemed to be talking down to him, or at him. He has been a Marine for 17 years, almost as long as you have been alive. I would drop the attitude, because a bad one will ensure your time in the Marine Corps will be rough.

Good luck with the process, and be patient. Every Marine in the history of the Marine Corps has been screwed by the "Green Weenie" at some point in his or her career. You are just getting yours out of the way early.

Semper Fi.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-09, 02:23 AM
Were I Gunny C, I would have words of prayer for this lad. It's his call, but I can tell you this much, you come into the FMF (IF you ever make it there) with that sort of nonsense and someone will surely make you pay a price.

You talk like that in my direction, and the Malignant Leprechaun will call down fire on your pos.

GyC
08-18-09, 05:52 AM
Were I Gunny C, I would have words of prayer for this lad. It's his call, but I can tell you this much, you come into the FMF (IF you ever make it there) with that sort of nonsense and someone will surely make you pay a price.

You talk like that in my direction, and the Malignant Leprechaun will call down fire on your pos.

Spoke with his Recruiter... The whole story was not posted, as suspected... S/F

Petz
08-18-09, 09:39 AM
please... fill in the gaps gunny!! heheheehe.

0331 2 0369
08-18-09, 09:43 AM
please... fill in the gaps gunny!! heheheehe.

He is adding to the suspense and drama. :D

GyC
08-18-09, 12:00 PM
He is adding to the suspense and drama. :D

No drama here... PM you if you wish...

0331 2 0369
08-18-09, 12:24 PM
No drama here... PM you if you wish...

No need..... If this kid doesn't have the nads to post everything here instead of just putting what he wants people to read then it probably ain't worth the effort for you to type it out. Thanks anyway. :beer:

Petz
08-18-09, 12:30 PM
damn 0331... now you made me feel like I wasted GyCs time.... I'm gonna go haze myself again.... and not the good kind of hazing either! :D

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-09, 09:58 PM
Gunny, wasn't tryin to upset your rice bowl, hope you didn't mind.

v/r

Petz
08-18-09, 10:05 PM
huh? how'd you know I eat rice?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-19-09, 02:20 AM
LOL. Old movie reference. Extra cool points if you can tell what movie and who said it.

Petz
08-19-09, 09:07 AM
yeah, no idea....

GyC
08-19-09, 10:12 AM
LOL. Old movie reference. Extra cool points if you can tell what movie and who said it.

I'm good... No issues here... I'd rather talk to the kid's Recruiter (who can look him in the white's of his eyes) than continue to go back and forth with him on the legitamacy of his claims... No worries here... S/F

Zulu 36
08-19-09, 11:06 AM

"The Sand Pebbles." That line, or a variation (including "breaking his rice bowl"), was said by several characters, one of which was Steve McQueen's main character.

An old Chinese saying meaning to take a man's living or means of survival away from him.

Petz
08-19-09, 11:50 AM
that's a Steve McQueen movie? I'm gonna have to watch that now.

Zulu 36
08-19-09, 11:54 AM
that's a Steve McQueen movie? I'm gonna have to watch that now.

Good flick. I'd tell you the ending, but then you'd have to kill me. :D

Petz
08-19-09, 11:57 AM
then let's have me watch it first.