PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Sidearm | M9 Sucks... Why Can't They Take Their Sidearm of Choice?

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 01:25 PM
I have quite a few buddies deployed right now. Some of them aren't issued a sidearm at all, and the ones who are get issued the M9 Beretta. I had one buddy who was allowed to get issued a sidearm from the Afghan police???

All of them said that they were not allowed to take their own sidearm of choice. Why not?

I've shot the M9 plenty of times. It sucks. On top of it sucking, it typically costs $100+ more than a new Glock or Springfield... and about the same as a used Sig.

Why wouldn't they allow soldiers to choose from a list of approved sidearms and knives of their own to bring... especially if what they can bring is better than what they are issued?

Is it because the Beretta is made in the U.S.A?

I don't really understand.

Can you take the knife of your choice when deployed?

Just curious how it all works.

Thanks,

BR34
08-10-09, 02:21 PM
You know, I considered responding to this, even made a reply (deleted it now though) but then I realized, this is a absolute STUPID question for a poolee to be asking.

You won't be issued a M9 in boot camp. And you can't bring your own knife with you to the Depot. That should hold you over.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 02:44 PM
BR34,

First of all, please don't treat me like a child. I'm 25, own my own business, I'm married, house, family, etc. I'm well aware that none of these items will be taken to boot camp.

If anything, my post is just in the wrong place. If that is what stopped you from answering the question, then

A better response from you might have been suggesting a better location from the post... rather than just calling it a stupid question.

If it was a STUPID question, then the 5 deployed friends that I have wouldn't all be asking it???

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 02:48 PM
With that said... where is the "Ask A Marine" section for general questions that don't concern boot camp?

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 02:49 PM
I have quite a few buddies deployed right now. Some of them aren't issued a sidearm at all, and the ones who are get issued the M9 Beretta. I had one buddy who was allowed to get issued a sidearm from the Afghan police???

All of them said that they were not allowed to take their own sidearm of choice. Why not?

I've shot the M9 plenty of times. It sucks. On top of it sucking, it typically costs $100+ more than a new Glock or Springfield... and about the same as a used Sig.

Why wouldn't they allow soldiers to choose from a list of approved sidearms and knives of their own to bring... especially if what they can bring is better than what they are issued?

Is it because the Beretta is made in the U.S.A?

I don't really understand.

Can you take the knife of your choice when deployed?

Just curious how it all works.

Thanks,

This seems like you are b!tching about the tools we use and you haven't even earned the title yet. You need to slow your role a little cowboy.

Sidearm - This isn't your local rod-n-gun club. We have rules that govern us from way above anyone's head on this forum. The Marine Corps will give you what you need to survive in combat. Don't worry about the firearms. They will save your life and the life of the Marine next to you.

The price of the M9 is not an issue. Besides, you don't really think they are paying the same price as you would do you? The M9 is actually a very good pistol. You just have to take the time to get to know it and how to make it work for you. No different than any other weapon. I taught this weapon for many years and I hated it at first because like you, I formed an opinion of the weapon before I really gave it a chance. A weapon is like some of your friends..... You don't know how to deal with them at first but once you really get to know them you become more comfortable with them. When I retired 1.5 yrs ago, I was shooting a group the size of a grapefruit at 25 yrds.

As for knives...... thats going to be up to the command.

BR34
08-10-09, 02:51 PM
LoveofCountry

Let me assure you I don't give two squirts about your age, job, house, car, how you feel I should treat you, or any combination of the above.

Your question was stupid, and there is no "Ask a Marine stupid questions that won't help me be better prepared for the Marine Corps" section.

For your next question, ask me why Marines can't choose what kevlars they'd like to wear.

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 02:52 PM
If it was a STUPID question, then the 5 deployed friends that I have wouldn't all be asking it???

If your five deployed friends haven't figured it out by now then they never will.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 02:56 PM
What is up with all of the high-horses around here? It's a very simple question. If you don't know the answer then what is the point in spouting gibberish?

The title of this particular forum says "Forum for poolees and wannabes to ask a Marine a question."

I'm simply a "poolee" asking a Marine a question.

If that isn't what this is for then maybe somebody should fix the description.

If that is what this is for then why does it matter if the question is asked? I'm not asking because I don't think Marines aren't properly equipped or funded... I'm simply asking out of curiosity. If that is too much for you "cowboy" then simply skip it and move onto the next thread.

I'm just wondering if the reasoning behind it is logistical, monetary, contractual, historical, etc.

Sorry if it was over your head.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 02:59 PM
Wow. You guys are special.

To be so defensive and hostile over such a simple question is childish.

Never mind, I'll go ask it on another forum since it seems to be beyond you.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings over questioning the insufficiency of the M9.

BR34
08-10-09, 03:01 PM
Oh no, you're leaving?!

Don't forget to tell everyone you know that was ever killed by a M9 to "get up" because they were killed by something that is insufficient.

Bye now, sweety.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:03 PM
Are you 5 years old?

I'm not going anywhere, but I would like to find someone capable of answering my question or at least reading my posts without getting their thong in wad.

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 03:04 PM
What is up with all of the high-horses around here? It's a very simple question. If you don't know the answer then what is the point in spouting gibberish?

The title of this particular forum says "Forum for poolees and wannabes to ask a Marine a question."

I'm simply a "poolee" asking a Marine a question.

If that isn't what this is for then maybe somebody should fix the description.

If that is what this is for then why does it matter if the question is asked? I'm not asking because I don't think Marines aren't properly equipped or funded... I'm simply asking out of curiosity. If that is too much for you "cowboy" then simply skip it and move onto the next thread.

I'm just wondering if the reasoning behind it is logistical, monetary, contractual, historical, etc.

Sorry if it was over your head.

You make me laugh..... What a turd. Your question was answered and since it's not what you want to hear then you are going to b!tch about it and slam Marines on a Marine site.

Let me see if I can break to down Barney style for even you to understand.... You will only carry the weapons that the Marine Coprs issues you. Nothing else. If you are caught with any firearm in your possession that is not issued, you will probably be court martialed. And since the knife answer I gave you wasn't sufficiant either, NO. You are not authorized to carry your own knife without approval.

I can type slower if that was to fast for you.

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 03:08 PM
I'm not going anywhere, but I would like to find someone capable of answering my question or at least reading my posts without getting their thong in wad.

How did you know we wear thongs? Did one of your 5 deployed friends spill out our secret?

Your first post was offensive in tone regardless of what your intentions were. Tone it down a bit and you will find that more people here are willing to give you more info than you would ever need.

BR34
08-10-09, 03:09 PM
I'm not going anywhere,

...?

Never mind, I'll go ask it on another forum

Someone with your age, intellect, and wisdom, and yet so indecisive.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:14 PM
How was my tone offensive? I asked a question and the two of you acted as if I threw a grenade into your barracks.

The purpose of a forum is for people to ask questions and get answers. Even if they are stupid (in your opinion). If you don't like my question, then get over it.

I'm grateful for your service to our country, and grateful for the Corps.

With that said. I'm still left in curiosity of my unanswered questions. Hopefully someone will come along that has an answer.

Respectfully,

BR34
08-10-09, 03:16 PM
If you don't like my question, then get over it.

How about, if you don't like our answer, then get over it?

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:17 PM
...?
Someone with your age, intellect, and wisdom, and yet so indecisive.

"Yawn"

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:20 PM
Because you didn't answer anything...

My question remains. Why wouldn't a Marine be able to choose their own side arm (from an approved list), and what is it about the M9 that makes it the sidearm of choice for the military?

See... Two very easy, non-offensive, curiosity questions.

BR34
08-10-09, 03:25 PM
You're wasting your time. Forum elder Drifter has made it clear this place is for poolees/wannabes to post questions about Boot Camp/MCT/other accession pipeline crap. Other posts get deleted.

Go read the rules: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Here's a good one that you can relate to:

7. No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

Because you didn't answer anything...

You were answered. You just aren't satisfied with the answers you got. Try Burger King to have your satisfaction guaranteed.

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:31 PM
BR34, you're hilarious. I asked a question. You couldn't answer it, so instead you resorted to blabbering away. Now, because you are too inadequate for my question, it makes me a crier.

My feelings aren't hurt... and my question still isn't answered. I'm not asking you to treat me nicely. I'm as far from a pansy as they come... but it frustrates me that in the midst of all of you "so called professionals" nobody is able to give me a professional answer.

Nice try :)

NoRemorse
08-10-09, 03:36 PM
Why don't you take the initiative, Google "logistics", figure it out, and shut your suck?

It's a very simple answer to a complex question that goes beyond "because the Marine Corps says so" but your lack of tact and respect has almost eliminated the prospect of someone answering the question for you.

You're asking about Marine Corps policy, take out the fluff and learn to ask a direct question without telling a story or deciding to go back and forth with Marines, even the most boot Marine has an opinion or scoop more accurate than yours so don't judge the voracity of their responses without doing your own research.

BR34
08-10-09, 03:38 PM
BR34, you're hilarious. I asked a question. You couldn't answer it, so instead you resorted to blabbering away. Now, because you are too inadequate for my question, it makes me a crier.

My feelings aren't hurt... and my question still isn't answered. I'm not asking you to treat me nicely. I'm as far from a pansy as they come... but it frustrates me that in the midst of all of you "so called professionals" nobody is able to give me a professional answer.

Heh...I've owned/own more and shot more guns than the ones you've seen on movies kid. I could easily give you a long list of reasons why your questions were stupid. But it's so much easier to just say "your questions are stupid".

Supersquishy
08-10-09, 03:39 PM
To all the Marines on this thread, Whats the saying?

"When you try and handle a turd, sooner or later your going to get sh1t on your hands." I say you guys drop this turd.:sick:

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:47 PM
Now we're into a "who owns more guns than me" debate?

:) I can roll with that. I have quite a collection.

I still don't understand why all of this commotion over a simple question.

I also see that there is a running trend on here.

the trend is that a person doesn't deserve respect and tact back just for being a human being... or an American. the trend here is that only Marines deserve respect. I respectfully disagree with that.

I respect you all for being Marines. I pity the fact that such a simple question gets such scrutiny.

I figured you would all be bored of the "how long is boot camp" and "how many push ups can you do" questions on this forum. I actually asked a question that hadn't been posed yet and none of you were even semi-professional in your responses. Instead it turned into a "let's bash this stupid question" game.

That's weak and a sorry excuse for being able to ignore a question.

I was honestly, truthfully just curious about how the policy worked.

NoRemorse
08-10-09, 03:50 PM
So I take it that you didn't google "Logistics"?

LoveOfCountry
08-10-09, 03:57 PM
This is just getting stupid now. I hope that this isn't how all future questions will be answered... with a bunch of "i'm better than you and can say dumb things but you can't" attitude.

I truly thought maybe I'd be able to get some answers or have an intellectual conversation, but that just isn't the case. I feel like i'm back in college debating with a bunch of freshman.

Again, thank you for serving our great country... despite our differences on this topic.

NoRemorse
08-10-09, 04:05 PM
Should I ask again or am I wasting my time? The simple answer is logistics; besides other mitigating factors thats the real long and short of it. It answers a lot of questions regarding gear without waxing philosophical or getting political.

I can see you really aren't interested in an answer at this point. There's no silver platter, you were given a lead to follow. Show some initiative and do so. You'd have an answer already but you're too busy being a remarkably consistent prick. You could defer to the guys with experience, take your licks and stick to your guns but instead you've just decided to throw any chance at showing what you're made of completely out the window.

Your responses are child-like. Your defenses are unfounded since you're continuing hostilities with your combative, snide and condescending tone. Instead of seeking the answer with the tidbit you've been given you continue to be on the attack and putting on an air of sophistication.

Your demeanor says a lot about your character and that tells us that you're going to have a hard time adjusting to Boot Camp. You can say all you want about this being the internet and not being MCRD but the thought process is the same. Your attitude belies your general lack of maturity.

Turn the other cheek and lock it up. If its so easy for a Marine's response to your question to rile you up then you're going to have to take a long hard look at what you're willing to go through and take in Boot Camp.