PDA

View Full Version : Devotion To Duty Led To Ultimate Sacrifice

thedrifter
08-01-03, 01:06 PM
DEVOTION TO DUTY LED TO ULTIMATE SACRIFICE

09:00 - 01 August 2003

Ten servicemen were remembered at a special thanksgiving service in Plymouth yesterday.

At the start of the conflict in Iraq Westcountry-based forces took a heavy blow with the death of eight men in a helicopter crash.

All of them were connected with 3 Commando Brigade and it deeply affected their comrades who had little time to mourn them as they had to prepare for the days ahead.

And worse was to come, as within 24 hours there was a second tragedy.

As a result of a collision between two Royal Navy Sea King helicopters six British personnel who were based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall, were killed.

The service yesterday, hosted by Plymouth City Council as St Andrew's Church in Royal Parade, was to commemorate the bravery of all those involved in the conflict in Iraq as well as those who lost their lives.

But it also marked the special relationship the city has had with military servicemen and women based there.

When the US Marine Corps CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter crashed south of the Kuwait border on March 21 it killed eight British personnel and four US aircrew.

The Plymouth-based servicemen were:

Colour Sergeant John Cecil RM, who left behind a wife and three children.

Sergeant Les Hehir of 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, 34, who was married, with two sons, and lived in Poole, Dorset.

Captain Philip Guy, 29, originally from the Yorkshire Dales, who died 12 days before the birth of his second child. He also leaves a wife, Helen, and a 20-month-old son Henry. Capt Guy joined the Royal Marines after graduating from Salford University in 1995.

Lance Bombardier Llywelyn Karl Evans, 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, died aged 24. Nicknamed "Welly" he had been in the Army since 1996, passing through ATR Pirbright and after completing training at Larkhill successfully completed the Commando Course in December 1996. He had served in Sierra Leone and Afghanistan. He was engaged to Rebecca Williams and his younger brother serves in the same unit.

Also killed in the incident were Marine Sholto Hedenskog (Royal Marines); Warrant Officer Second Class Mark Stratford (Royal Marines); Operator Mechanic (Communications) Second Class Ian Seymour from the Royal Navy and Major Jason Ward (Royal Marines) who was aged 34.

In addition Major Stephen Ballard died of natural causes while serving with the Plymouth-based Royal Marines Landing Force Command Support Group. Twelve weeks ago his wife Lucy gave birth to a baby daughter.

On March 30, Marine Christopher R Maddison, 9 Assault Squadron Royal Marines, was killed in action during fighting in the area of Basra in Iraq. He was aged 24.

The helicopter collision involved six men from the Royal Naval Air Station at Culdrose in Cornwall, 848 Squadron. They were: Lieutenant Philip Green RN, who joined 849 Squadron in May 2002; Lieutenant Antony King, who had recently been selected for promotion to Lieutenant Commander; Lieutenant Marc Lawrence, aged 26, who had gained his wings in 2002 and was engaged to be married.

Lieutenant Philip West, Royal Navy, aged 32, lived in Budock Water with his fianc??e Nicky, who works as a nurse at Treliske hospital. The couple were due to be married in August. He was killed alongside Lieutenant James Williams of the Royal Navy, 28, who was also engaged to be married and for whom the deployment to the Gulf was his first operational tour of duty; Lieutenant Andrew Wilson of the Royal Navy was aged 36 and a pilot and left a wife, Sarah.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=116977&command=displayContent&sourceNode=116974&contentPK=6573882

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
08-01-03, 10:27 PM
We pray that our Brothers will REST IN PEACE...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Sticky blue
12-21-03, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and your brother love guys.
The Marine Brotherhood is as strong as ever.
Aye
Sticks

oldanglico
01-07-04, 01:40 PM
You're a pretty thoughtful guy drifter...........Semper Fi

JAMarine
01-07-04, 06:04 PM
These men will not be forgotten. You can bank on that.

Thanks Roger.

snipowsky
02-03-04, 03:49 PM
I had the great pleasure of training alongside the Royal Marines during my tour with the 24th MEU during my Med Pump LF6F 2-95! Even though they aren't US Marines, they are Marines and they are my brothers! I pray for them and their families! Godspeed to you my brothers and Semper Fidelis!

jakRoyalMarine
02-12-04, 01:38 AM
Gentlemen,
As an Officer who has been involved with the Operations ongoing in Afghanistan, and within Iraq, I as a Marine thank you for your words and thoughts over this,

The words Semper Fi say it all

We are Marines, one and all, when we fall we shall mourn our comrades who have fallen on the field of battle.
Each and every one of them are inscribed in the Book of Hounor.

May they Rest In Peace,
For the have given the most
Their Lifes
as an Officer i Salute them.
as a Marine i shall mourn for them.

gys
02-16-04, 03:35 PM
We pray for our brothers and their families. God bless all.