PDA

View Full Version : Walking with tobacco

Ski 0121
08-09-09, 11:03 PM
I was just curious. I see alot of senior ranking Marines walking with dip in, and was just curious if it's like that at other bases. I was told by senior Marines that the MCO says you can't walk and CHEW tobacco, but others would lock me on with dip in my mouth. I read the order for myself, and it seems to be associated with chewing food or gum. So am I confused, that you can't CHEW tobacco or have any tobacco in your mouth? And why does it seem like if your SSgt or higher, your good to go, as long as your not chewing the actual chewing tobacco?

Achped
08-10-09, 02:03 AM
Are you kidding me? You've never seen the Master Guns walking around outside with his cover off talking on a cell phone chewing gum? I've seen that at least twice.

The way it works is: If you're a SgtMaj, and a LCpl comes up to you and identifies a discrepancy, you're going to tell him to go **** himself until he can climb up your rockers.

If you're a LCpl and that same SgtMaj sees you doing something he just did, he's going to lay into you. Thats just the way it is.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 09:01 AM
I think it all depends. Me being a "boot" and having the rules fresh in my mind, I wouldn't dip at my RSS. But the Gunny there told me its ok as long as I don't spit in front of civilians and use a non-transparent can or bottle as my spitter. I try not to though because I don't believe it looks too becoming of a Marine.

Old Marine
08-10-09, 09:25 AM
If senior Marines are doing this, it sure does not mean that the lower ranks can. The Marine corps has really went downhill, if this is happening today.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 11:44 AM
If senior Marines are doing this, it sure does not mean that the lower ranks can. The Marine corps has really went downhill, if this is happening today.

Well, from what I got in boot camp was its more acceptable in the field, but when garrisoned it's shunned upon. i can't say much but when i was at PI, there were several Marines (LCpls and Cpls) dipping at Uniforms, and a few DI's always with a chew in. Our Series Commander was also always chewing

0231Marine
08-10-09, 11:45 AM
I think it all depends. Me being a "boot" and having the rules fresh in my mind, I wouldn't dip at my RSS. But the Gunny there told me its ok as long as I don't spit in front of civilians and use a non-transparent can or bottle as my spitter. I try not to though because I don't believe it looks too becoming of a Marine.

You obviously haven't had much time in the fleet or the field for that matter. Dipping is pretty "becomming" of a Marine. If your SNCO says you're cleared hot, then I wouldn't worry about it but if your conscience is going to get to you, then just disregard and don't do it.

tangovictor87
08-10-09, 01:21 PM
this might sound gross to some of ya'll but i dipped all the time when working on tracks and if a SNCO was around i'd gut it.

Old Marine
08-10-09, 04:35 PM
Well, from what I got in boot camp was its more acceptable in the field, but when garrisoned it's shunned upon. i can't say much but when i was at PI, there were several Marines (LCpls and Cpls) dipping at Uniforms, and a few DI's always with a chew in. Our Series Commander was also always chewing

Sure hope the complete Marine Corps hasn't picked up this nasty habit. Hopefully, it is only the boys from the hills who don't know any better.

Devildogg99
08-10-09, 04:42 PM
Obviously in the field uniform guidance is lax as well it should be when in the field/combat. However, in garrision it is stupid. I see people do this all the time and its disgusting in my opinion and I have tried it and can't say I like it one bit. To say the least I have seen all ranks Officers and Enlisted do it.

irizavrima
08-10-09, 05:57 PM
This is an extremely nasty habit. I never even knew what dipping was before the Corps. Just the other day our MSgt was yelling at our shop because a Marine was smoking outside the barracks. He was yelling at us with a dip in his mouth. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I know that the order is no tobacco within 50 feet of government buildings. The order doesn't differentiate between smoke and smokeless. None the less he walks around with about a half a can in his mouth all day.

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 06:05 PM
This is just the way it is, I don't think leadership has failed us. Dipping inside and smoking inside is completely different. I know ALOT of Marines that dip in uniform, so it doesn't even seem shocking to me. Once you've been to the fleet for a while, you'll notice that Dip is just as becoming a Marine as drinking is. Within your first couple years in, you'll discover your love for Monster energy drinks, dip, cigs, and booze.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 06:08 PM
This is an extremely nasty habit. I never even knew what dipping was before the Corps. Just the other day our MSgt was yelling at our shop because a Marine was smoking outside the barracks. He was yelling at us with a dip in his mouth. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I know that the order is no tobacco within 50 feet of government buildings. The order doesn't differentiate between smoke and smokeless. None the less he walks around with about a half a can in his mouth all day.

Hey Cpl, isn't it no smoking within 50ft? I don't believe its tobacco...I could be wrong.

The difference between smoking and dipping is that smoking affects others directly through second hand smoke. Dipping has no affect on anyone but the dipper. At the same time, whoever is dipping should make sure to have a non-transparent can or cup that they can spit in. If its a cup, put a napkin in it so you don't spill it...that kind of thing. As long as they take precautions to be respectful of others, than i don't think its a big deal.

Petz
08-10-09, 06:40 PM
Lupo, I don't think he was confused by the difference... good looking out though.

@ ski... there are unwritten rules in garrison... basically, if you see them do it and you have the balls to go up to them then go ahead and TACTFULLY inform them of their malfeasance... sometimes it just slips their mind. If they are good leaders they will respect you for it.

But don't think that just 'cause you saw Sgt Maj dipping and walking w/o his cover on while talking on the phone that you can use that as an excuse with your Sgt/SSgt... though I'm sure you know that.

When you pick up rank you'll see there are certain perks with the responsibilities... I for one would not get mad at one of my Marines if I do the same thing. I put my cover in my cargo pocket when indoors... I do it 'cause I won't lose it or forget it. I've heard so many Marines say it makes me look nasty or whatever... but when they start crying about who took their cover, I laugh while pulling mine out of my pocket and putting it on on my way to formation...

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 06:59 PM
you put your cover in your cargo pocket!? Dirtbag..... I mean.... Good Morning Staff Sergeant!

Petz
08-10-09, 07:03 PM
haha... good Morning... and yes I do... do you honestly think it makes me a dirtbag?

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 07:05 PM
The only people I see putting their covers in their cargo pockets are recruits. I wouldn't do it, but then I have that motivated cover block, so it wouldn't fit anyways.

Petz
08-10-09, 07:11 PM
haha... I've been told we're not allowed to put stuff in our cargo pockets... I always have to ask why they're there... they're usually really boot so then I ask them what happened to the pockets on the front bottom of the blouse... then when they look confused I just walk away.

It's there for a reason... I use it when I'm not in my own "house" where I don't have a place to put my trash... this ways I'm not running around trying to get my cover when the MGySgt all of a sudden tells me to follow him and he heads outside...

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 07:14 PM
Like I said, I wouldn't do it, and I don't see any other Marines doing it. I could guarantee you I would get yelled at for doing it. I think it depends on the unit you're with. I'd assume it's fine if you're in the field/combat area, but other than that, no way.

Ski 0121
08-10-09, 07:15 PM
you put your cover in your cargo pocket!? Dirtbag..... I mean.... Good Morning Staff Sergeant!

LOL I know a CWO4 that does that all the time, it's kind of funny to be honest.

Petz
08-10-09, 07:24 PM
I'm funny to you LCpl? I make you laugh? are you saying I'm a clown? let me show you something funny!...... :D

Sergeant M
08-10-09, 07:27 PM
Uh oh! Someone ****ed off the rockers... run!!!

Bruce776
08-10-09, 08:57 PM
It really depends on the community you're in. Certain areas enforce the rules more than others. For example, at Camp Lejeune main side you'll get yelled if you walking on the grass, but at Courthouse Bay (same base, just an area off by itself) nobody will care. Just watch your surroundings and go with the flow.

Alisium
08-10-09, 09:14 PM
In my experienced, Marines dipped everywhere all the time.

And god forbid you set down a half drunken soda and walk away.

Petz
08-10-09, 09:15 PM
would you use your cargo pockets?

Alisium
08-10-09, 09:16 PM
We have them for some reason.

Petz
08-10-09, 09:24 PM
THANK YOU! ok... I thought for a second Marines all of a sudden were sewing up their cargo pockets like they did back in the 90's... yeah, cut them off, removed the pocket sides and sewed them back on so they would always be flat......... yeah....

Alisium
08-10-09, 09:28 PM
Back in the 90's we were doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Gluing seams into our uniforms, soaking our cammies in pure sta-flo. Cutting off the name tapes and either gluing or velcroing them to the blouse et cetera.

It took me about two years to realize that you look best with light starch and a press and that's it.

thewookie
08-10-09, 09:37 PM
I remember it being more about spitting then it was about dipping. Like anything else, you don't need to advertise or telegraph -- I dipped Cope while I was in and what worked for me was to be aware of my surroundings -- I didn't spit standing right next to the butter bar WM.;)

Or I waited until she got out of my bed and then I spit in the trash can.....

I kid, I kid:)

Alisium
08-10-09, 10:39 PM
Since we're talking about tobacco....

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/alisium/My%20art/Collinsspitdrink.jpg

We ponied up $100 for him to drink a full bottle of dip spit while waiting to go to the ship.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 11:55 PM

We ponied up $100 for him to drink a full bottle of dip spit while waiting to go to the ship.

If I could throw up right after and it was my own spit, fresh (not some day old ****) and it wasn't Cope or Skoal straight......nah **** that, I wouldn't have done it.

Well, maybe

HurricaneRJ
08-11-09, 04:35 AM
The way I was told that, you can walk and have Dip in your mouth, but you couldn't carry a bottle around, you would have to spit on the ground.

HurricaneRJ
08-11-09, 04:39 AM
would you use your cargo pockets?
All the time!

I put my cover in my cargo pockets. If I don't I'll loose the damn thing. Since I can't put my cover on the table at the chow, I definitely don't want it on the ground.

Petz
08-11-09, 09:03 AM

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/alisium/My%20art/Collinsspitdrink.jpg

bet a kid 5 dollars and a pack of gum to drink the huge bottle of red hot at the camp fallujah chow hall... the big one... he puked everywhere... it was nasty... he had to goto medical.

Lupo22
08-11-09, 09:45 AM
The way I was told that, you can walk and have Dip in your mouth, but you couldn't carry a bottle around, you would have to spit on the ground.

I can't understand why spitting on the ground would be more appropriate than a bottle. I do think its nasty to carry around a clear bottle half full of spit thats all brown in color. Thats why i try to spit in a can whenever possible. and always rip the tab off so people know its NOT soda lol

Petz
08-11-09, 10:07 AM
but then it's a sedentary past-time..... you can't walk with a can in your hand everywhere, then when you spit in it people know what it is....

Lupo22
08-11-09, 05:47 PM
but then it's a sedentary past-time..... you can't walk with a can in your hand everywhere, then when you spit in it people know what it is....

I have become very good at making it look like i'm taking a sip from a full can of soda whenever I spit :) I mastered that while drinking beer in the local country bar by my house. some girls don't like the dip, but every g/f i've ever dated said that the skoal ring in my jeans was a turn on lol (no, there are no more skoal rings now that i'm in the Corps)