PDA

View Full Version : remember the Jack Webb movie "The D.I."

hypnotist
08-09-09, 10:44 PM
:thumbup:i was at SD when that movie was being filmed. Although it was supposed to take place at P.I. it was for the most part filmed on mcrd san diego. Anybody else remember ?:usmc:

Mytcbra96
08-10-09, 04:14 AM
Yes I remember the movie. I have a copy on DVD, :evilgrin:

ameriken
08-10-09, 09:14 AM
It was the movie that motivated me to be a Marine.

Petz
08-10-09, 10:56 AM
you serious? maybe it's not the same one I'm thinking about... the guy had Army chevrons on....

GySgtRet
08-10-09, 11:01 AM
was playing a couple of days before I left for Parris Island in 73. The night before I left a movie called "Tribes" with Darren McGavin played about a hippy kid going to "Parris Island" also. I prefer the Di over this one though.

Semper Fi
Gunny out
:usmc:

FistFu68
08-10-09, 12:33 PM
:evilgrin: I ain't gonna drop a Dime on anyone but there's actually a Marine on our site that actually Played in The D.I. w/Jack Webb no Chit :beer: :iwo:

wayne1991
08-10-09, 02:04 PM
I watched it sitting on the grinder at the drive in screen at PI in 1961

6yrforMar
08-10-09, 02:22 PM
The D.I. was a good flick,I was a kid at the time,but impressed .

hypnotist
08-10-09, 03:46 PM
Jack Webb wore dress blues and i don't remember him having army cheverons. Also tech Sgt Lazarko was in a lead role in the movie. He was a real marine in the series that I was in at MCRD san diego. He was offered a movie contract i understand but he chose to remain a marine. Also cadance count for the movie was done by a d.i. in my series. I remember hearing him .. .

hypnotist
08-10-09, 03:49 PM
FistFu68, whois the marine that played the D.I. ? is it T.Sgt Lazarko ?

Petz
08-10-09, 04:26 PM
I must be thinking of another movie then.

I must have not noticed when the movie was made and what I know now about chevrons and such....

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2606472704/tt0050283

wayne1991
08-10-09, 04:50 PM
I thinkI remeber someone saying that jack webb was a former marine

Riven37
08-10-09, 04:51 PM
I remember the movie it was based on his time in the coprs.

:thumbup:i was at SD when that movie was being filmed. Although it was supposed to take place at P.I. it was for the most part filmed on mcrd san diego. Anybody else remember ?:usmc:

wayne1991
08-10-09, 04:53 PM
he wore marine chevrons that was before the crossed rifles were added in 1959 0r so

Petz
08-10-09, 04:57 PM
yup... didn't realize the date of the Movie... for some reason I thought it was during the 70's....

SgtThrasher
08-10-09, 07:43 PM
The kid shouting the General orders in one scene was retired Sgt Major Holmes who has a barbecue business in Huntsville ,Al.I have known him for some time.Great Marine!

I think this movie is the most authentic depiction of the boot camp I went through in 65,and Jack Webb was perfect in every way.:evilgrin:

SgtThrasher
08-10-09, 07:48 PM
Yes I remember the movie. I have a copy on DVD, :evilgrin:

I would love to buy a DVD of the DI.How do I find one,as I've been looking for a copy.

hypnotist
08-12-09, 10:42 AM
The troubled recruit in the movie was actually a marine drill instructor....Parris Island I believe. Crossed rifles on cheverons were introduced in 1959. Cpls had so much time to earn the crossed rifles or revert back to lance cpl. there were many blanket promotions , especially when a marine completed time at a duty station. when they were transferred to a new station the men awaiting promotion there were knocked off the promotion roster because of filled billits. pfc's were many and the re were many 20 year pfc's and cpls, buck sgts...

ameriken
08-12-09, 11:37 AM
Saw that movie when I was a kid in the 60's and then again in the early 70's. It was one of the motivators for me to join the Marines.

ameriken
08-12-09, 11:45 AM
I would love to buy a DVD of the DI.How do I find one,as I've been looking for a copy.

I've been trying to find it on DVD too Bill, but can only find it on VHS. :cry:

jebollenbach
08-12-09, 12:15 PM
Check out this link its were I bought mine.
http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/Product.asp?sku=D25827

Zulu 36
08-12-09, 01:49 PM
was playing a couple of days before I left for Parris Island in 73. The night before I left a movie called "Tribes" with Darren McGavin played about a hippy kid going to "Parris Island" also. I prefer the Di over this one though.

Semper Fi
Gunny out
:usmc:

I saw "The DI" in boot camp at the SD base theater one evening with a bunch of other series. We thought it was a traditional sort of thing and just dealt with it. It was a break in the action, so to speak.

About half of the DIs in my series appeared in the grinder scenes in the movie "Tribes." Those scenes were filmed on a Sunday and the DI's who appeared had to be on their liberty time (although they were paid a stipend by the studio). The recruits had to volunteer to give up their Sunday free time and they were also paid a small (very small) stipend by the studio.

Only selected volunteers from that series were taken and they were formed into provisional platoons for actual filming. If you saw the movie, you'll note that few faces of the non-actor recruits appear, and when they do, they're a bit blurry.

If I remember what my SDI told us, the recruit's stipends were generously "donated" to Navy Relief by the recruits.

Also, according to the Internet Movie Database, the filming location for "The DI" was actually at Camp Pendleton.

IMDB does show MCRDSD as the location for "Tribes."

ameriken
08-12-09, 02:00 PM
Check out this link its were I bought mine.
http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/Product.asp?sku=D25827

Awesome, thanks for that, Semper Fi :iwo:

Mytcbra96
08-19-09, 05:38 PM

I have a copy if you want it.:flag:

davblay
08-19-09, 07:16 PM
Nope, Jack Webb was in the Army Air Corps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Webb

Semper Fi,

Dave

im5150too
08-21-09, 01:40 AM
Jack Webb did a lot to bring attention to the contributions of both the military and law enforcement. I had the pleasure of meeting him as a youngster.

He was a truly great American.

ridingcrops
08-23-09, 08:05 PM
I loved that movie. I never heard of it till one of the drill instructors in Sn Diego was yelling at a guy in my platoon,"The DI, Jack Webb is the DI I am a drill instructor!" Finally years later I saw it on HBO. Glad to know there are dvd's so I can get one. I like the part where the recruit kills the sand flea and they ahve to spend the day looking for it. When one of them slapped the other guy to get one Webb asked "was it male or female?" Of course it was a no win answer and they kept looking.

rickyracer
08-24-09, 03:25 AM
The link to Turners has a lot better price than Ebay.

GREY MATTER
08-24-09, 04:30 AM
you serious? maybe it's not the same one I'm thinking about... the guy had Army chevrons on....

you are thinking of the right movie, but back in the olden days they didnt have the cross rifles....so it looked like army chevrons, but they were in fact Marine chevrons

MontezumaCpl
08-24-09, 01:18 PM
Aye, I remember "The D.I." Good movie. I also remember that other one "Tribes." It was ok. IN boot camp we watched "Sands of Iwo Jima!" John Wayne!

awbrown1462
08-24-09, 01:27 PM
the D.I. is the best boot camp movie made and thats the facts and nothing but the facts

Mytcbra96
08-24-09, 07:12 PM
I just watched it again over the weekend. Made me wonder, do they still issue buckets in boot camp.

Mytcbra96
08-24-09, 07:47 PM
I reported to boot camp Nov.66 and we had buckets.

Zulu 36
08-24-09, 07:58 PM
In 1971 we didn't get them in Receiving (although we got a "bucket issue" of stuff except the bucket - probably should have been called a "laundry bag issue"). We got the buckets later at our squadbay.

ridingcrops
08-28-09, 08:51 PM
I just watched it again over the weekend. Made me wonder, do they still issue buckets in boot camp.

LOL I remember those darn buckets. Everything the Corps thought you would need for a couple of weeks to make a Marine out of you. Wash day was a biggy.

Eric Hood
08-29-09, 07:16 AM
Zulu!
Thanks for the info on "Tripes". I saw it on tv. After I became a Marine, I did not like it. My buddy said;"Darren Macgavin needs a haircut".
Semper Fi,
Eric

hypnotist
09-01-09, 09:41 PM
I was in boot camp while the D.I. was being filmed.. our platoon could see the "Hollywood" Marines ascroos the grinder. and our dirll instructor would laugh.. and give us hell. as for the reality of the movie... the physical correction that was carried on gave me scars that I have to this day.. SSGT McKeoun at P.I. drowned several recruits and that brought about a few changes.. Anybody familiar with the drill instructors yelling out "rain a bucket of quarters" and actually getting a bucket of quarters.... nice liberty.. or "rain a bucket of luckies" ang a bucket of lucky strike cigs were presented to him..fear can make a person make things happen. Good old days......

Lambert43
09-01-09, 11:08 PM
SSgt Petzold. Back then we didn't have crossed rifles. Then a LCpl E-3 was a two stripe Cpl and a Sgt was an E-4, SSgt was an E-5, an so on.
In 1961 all of the old ranks either were promoted or went to the new ranking accordingly, i.e. a Cpl E-3 went to Lcpl E-3.
Regards,
Lambert

Petz
09-01-09, 11:36 PM
yeah, I had a super brain fart. It was this movie but I didn't realize when the movie took place or when it was made. I thought it was in the 70's. I made an error and I apologize.

GIrene
09-03-09, 12:30 AM
Man I love this movie. Jack Webb is one hard man.

Love the sandflea scene... By far one of the funniest moments in a military film.

Thanks for sharing!

"Center yourself in my hatch!"

Big Jim
09-03-09, 02:02 AM
When we were allowed to see those movies...the "D.I..."...is what we saw......I was always asleep of course................I never knew I snored til my bunkie said...."Shut the **** up.........!!"

AlabamaRon
09-03-09, 03:11 PM
I was in Okinawa in August of 1964 and worked for a Sgt E-4. I believe the change over ended December 31, 1964.

AlabamaRon
09-03-09, 03:20 PM
I was in Okinawa in August of 1964 and worked for a Sgt E-4. I believe the change over ended December 31, 1964.

I stand corrected. I must be suffering from old age. Here is the straight scoop on when the grade structure changed.

"A transitional period of dual grade structure, to end entirely on 1 January 1965, was worked out to insure that no Marine would lose stripes. This was achieved by establishing "acting" ranks, so that all Marines would be able to retain their existing titles, insignia, and privileges. Upon promotion, they would assume the new rank titles. The prefix "acting," however, was abolished by the Commandant on 1 August 1960, and the end of the transitionalperiod for all grades was moved up to 1 July 1963." (179)

nevada kid
09-02-10, 07:04 PM

sgt pete oneill played the latino rodriguez i think . pete was half irish and half
puerto rican in 1955 pete was a mp in the same barracks as i was.
i shipped to korea and never saw him again . great guy i understand he later
became a DI at diego probably why he got picked for the part.

USNAviator
09-02-10, 07:31 PM
A personal favorite of mine. I believe it was made in either '57 or '58 with full cooperation of the Corps. This was after the Ribbon Creek episode in '56. I've often wondered how Webb would have made the movie given the cultural leeway of the 80's or 90's

Zulu 36
09-02-10, 08:07 PM
A personal favorite of mine. I believe it was made in either '57 or '58 with full cooperation of the Corps. This was after the Ribbon Creek episode in '56. I've often wondered how Webb would have made the movie given the cultural leeway of the 80's or 90's

I don't think Webb would have made the D.I. in those decades, Webb was too straight laced. It was up to Stanley Kubrick to make the equivalent in FMJ.

doc h fmf
09-02-10, 08:36 PM
I Loved That Movie They Had Real Marines There,

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

USNAviator
09-02-10, 08:36 PM
I don't think Webb would have made the D.I. in those decades, Webb was too straight laced. It was up to Stanley Kubrick to make the equivalent in FMJ.

I agree Webb was wound far too tight, I think anal is a good description.

USNAviator
09-02-10, 09:11 PM
Went and looked on You Tube for clips of the movie. Found a few but one in particular in which the Webb's character is referred to as Gunny. However, in the credits Sgt Moore (Webb) is referred to as Tech Sgt. Moore

I did not know the Corps had a rank of Technical Sgt. So I did some research and this is what I found;

Technical Sergeant was also a technical rank in the United States Marine Corps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps) until 1958. From 1941 until 1946, the rank was equivalent to grade 2, ranking with Gunnery Sergeant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnery_Sergeant) and other technical ranks with which it shared its insignia. From 1947 until 1958, the rank was reclassified as E-6 and became the sole rank in this grade. The rank was renamed Gunnery Sergeant and elevated to E-7 after the reorganization of grades in 1959.

SgtThrasher
09-02-10, 09:14 PM
I have a copy if you want it.:flag:

I hope I expressed my gratitude for your Kindness.I've watched it several times.Thanks again bro! :cool:

The DUKE
09-02-10, 09:34 PM
That hippy kid in the movie "tribes" was Jan Michael Vincent, later of fame with the TV series "Airwolf" also was a big hit in the movie "The Mechanic" with Charles Bronson.

tkent60
09-07-10, 03:11 PM
Tribes was filmed, part of it anyway during Boot cam at MCRDSD in May 1970 during our Pugel Stick "Q-Tips" Training although not all of us were "in" the actual scened we were spectators though.

clansman5
09-07-10, 03:57 PM
I could recite that movie word for word.

tkent60
09-07-10, 04:05 PM
clansman,

were you at MCRDSD during the time and filming of the Tribes Movie?

hbharrison
09-07-10, 04:50 PM
Remember watching "Dragnet" every time and the "D.I" as well as "Halls of Montezuma" where he played a chain smoken reporter never gave up watching anything he was in. Still don't.

kenrobg30
09-27-10, 12:51 PM
I've got to agree Butch, Webb is always worth watching. I try not to miss his work too.
Dan, thank you for getting my head straightened out, on the "GUNNY" question. I recall being growled at a few times, back in the day, for getting it wrong. I never did get it right, until I read your post. O'm glad I decided tp look in here. :thumbup: "Fair Winds", and S/F!!! KEN

tkent60
09-27-10, 01:06 PM
Hypnotist,

What Unit/Plt were you in at MCRDSD when film was made, I was in Plt. #1061, stayed in thosw damn Quonset Huts right next to Landing Strip on back of Base next to san Diego Airport.

USNAviator
09-27-10, 01:34 PM
I've got to agree Butch, Webb is always worth watching. I try not to miss his work too.
Dan, thank you for getting my head straightened out, on the "GUNNY" question. I recall being growled at a few times, back in the day, for getting it wrong. I never did get it right, until I read your post. O'm glad I decided tp look in here. :thumbup: "Fair Winds", and S/F!!! KEN

Glad to help out Ken. As I said in my post, I wasn't aware the Corps had the Tech Sgt. rank.

I liked the Ben Alexander "Dragnets' more than the Henry Morgan ones. Did you ever see the Dragnet movie Webb made? I think it was made in 1955

kenrobg30
09-27-10, 02:53 PM
Glad to help out Ken. As I said in my post, I wasn't aware the Corps had the Tech Sgt. rank.

I liked the Ben Alexander "Dragnets' more than the Henry Morgan ones. Did you ever see the Dragnet movie Webb made? I think it was made in 1955
I saw the movie, but it wasn't that good, as I recall. They didn't give J Webb that much of a script tp work with.
I never thought Henry Morgan was all that great, as a serious actor.He was much better in comedy roles, such as the Colonel in M*A*S*H. There, he was the star of the show, as far as I was concerned. I have to admit, I was prejudiced, since I had met a 'Doggie' Doctor, in a mash unit on Korea, who had to have been the idiot they used to invent ' Hawk-Eye Pierce'. That a-hole will always live in my memory, as the most arrogant, egotistic, idiot I ever met. Needless to say, I did not like " Hawk=Eye.' Jack Webb, and Henry Morgan , WE salute you !!! S/F!! Ken