View Full Version : Marine Corps memories

thedrifter
08-01-03, 12:57 PM
Marine Corps memories

Retired military man has words of encouragement for young service members

By Sharon Shapiro

August 1, 2003

COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

RANCHO BERNARDO – Hanging on the wall of George Clark's condo in Rancho Bernardo is a glass case stocked with medals, mementos and a sword, reminders of his 23 years of service in the Marine Corps.

Military service took Clark to six foreign countries during two wars, far from the 20-acre farm in New Jersey where he grew up.

Recently, the 87-year-old looked back more than 60 years to June 27, 1941, when the Dutch steamship he was traveling on with a detail of Marines headed for London was torpedoed by a German U-boat. The ship sank about 300 miles south of Iceland.

"It was quite a terrible thing to happen. It was a frightening thing," Clark said.

"We didn't have time to do much thinking. We were helping the girls get their life preservers on."

Clark and most of the Marines were taken by motorized lifeboats to another ship, which took them to Iceland.

News of the attack spread quickly. His family in Piney Hollow, N.J., didn't know whether he'd survived until they saw an article in a local newspaper a week later.

Clark joined the Marines at 18 when he became fed up with life on the farm, which had no water or electricity.

"I told my dad I was going to quit," Clark remembered. "He said, 'If you're going to join, join the Marines.' But then he said, 'I don't know if you're man enough.'"

That challenge spurred Clark through basic training, where his strength from working outdoors put him a step ahead of the rest, he said.

"I could run faster and stronger," he said, "but I didn't let them know."

Clark was sent to Motor Transport School in Philadelphia, where his ability as an auto mechanic surfaced. He maintained motor vehicles wherever he was stationed after that, including China, Guam, Iwo Jima, Honolulu, Korea and London.

As a sergeant, he asked to be sent to commando training and sought assignment with an amphibious vehicle unit. But his major turned him down because he was too old.

"I said, 'Surely you're lying to me. I'm at my peak,'" said Clark, who was 25 at the time.

Clark convinced the officer to let him go to the training. While he was there, he was promoted to Marine gunner, and he became a warrant officer about a year later.

Clark was attached to the 3rd Marine Division and became a battalion maintenance officer. During a leave in 1943, Clark met a Southern California girl, Doris Cade, at an event at the Carlsbad Hotel. They married three years later.

Clark retired in 1957 as a warrant officer and started work with Otis Elevator Co. in Cleveland, Ohio. He moved to Los Angeles, where he became the West Coast district manager for Otis. He later bought a company that sold industrial trucks built by Otis and moved to San Francisco.

Clark and his wife decided to retire in Rancho Bernardo because they enjoy the climate.

"There's a lot of guys who don't know what they're going to do after the service. I want them to know that there's a future for good men after their service. I had a good life," said Clark.

He has been following news of the war in Iraq and its aftermath "night and day," he said.

"I know what those guys are going through: loss of sleep, lousy food. I want those guys to know that there's a good future for them."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20030801-9999_m1m01tfrbdo.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: