PDA

View Full Version : MEPS (recently found something out, hoping for clarification)

Endurance89
08-09-09, 03:28 PM
Hello again, Marines. Many thanks for the replies in my last thread about MOS's and the October fiscal year.

My question this time around involves the visit to MEPS for the physical that my recruiter and I planned for this Wednesday (leave Tuesday @ 1400).

My mother checked a book out from the library about military careers, and I took with me this afternoon while making a head call. The part about MEPS confused me. I guess most people do a MEPS visit in one fell swoop? I have been there once so far, for the ASVAB.

My basic question is what happens when I speak with the Marine Corps Liaison? My recruiter has already intimated that the earliest that he could have me enlisted would be Sept. 1st, so that I would return to the MEPS for the third time (1st was the ASVAB, 2nd will be this Wednesday), so I won't be swearing in or signing anything ( or will I? Please advise.) Do we merely discuss MOS's and my approximate desired ship date? Do I lobby for an infantry contract?

Thanks in advance, Marines. I appreciate the help. I have not phrased my question appropriately or have not supplied enough information, please advise.

John Sherman

Hologram
08-09-09, 03:35 PM
It all depends on the situation. Some recruits go there multiple times, others do it all at once.

To me, it sounds like your recruiter just has some time and wants to keep you committed so he wants to get your qualifications in regards to your ASVAB and physical out of the way before you actually sign any paperwork.

This could actually work to your advantage because you can get a chance to talk to your recruiter about your MOS choice instead of signing an open contract and then having to resign a specific MOS contract again.

And as far as contracts go, make sure you read the whole thing. Knew a guy in MCT who thought he was getting 0300 active and ended up getting admin in the reserves. Got a hefty bonus for it though.

Endurance89
08-09-09, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, Marine.

I see what you are saying. But, what will happen when I sit down with the Marine Corps Liaison? My recruiter would offer no details, just that I would.

marine95
08-10-09, 01:17 AM
The Liasion is going to screen you out again and make sure all your paperwork is good to go. It's no big deal. Unless you have something to hide in which you better talk to your recruiter before you go to MEPS. As for the jobs, he has no control of that unless the job program you picked suddenly is not available anymore in which he will go over others that are available. Good luck.

:usmc:

kirax105strike
08-10-09, 03:33 AM
Like the other Marines have stated it'll depend on your situation. I went to Meps 4 times before I was finally swore in. It'll depend on tattoos, waivers, medical issues, etc but it is also entirely possible to go and knock it out in 1 day. If it doesn't work out the first time, dont get discouraged cause multiple Meps trips can get annoying. Just stay focused and you'll be in boot camp in no time.

Endurance89
08-10-09, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the replies, Marines.

I contacted my recruiter this morning. He said that he had the same question that I did, and had to call to get the answer. He has marked my paperwork for qualification only.

That's my question answered.

John Sherman

Petz
08-10-09, 10:37 AM
you'll go back to MEPs before you ship to sign your actual AD contract and to get your paper ticket for your flight to the island.

so regardless, unless you ship the same day you are going to make more than one stop at MEPs.