PDA

View Full Version : A question for 0300 Marines...

Deleon1992
08-09-09, 02:20 PM
I have looked through the website, and I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I have read on line in other websites and from other people that it is harder to make rank in Infantry than in most other MOS, is that true? If so why? I have already chose infantry and I can't wait until I get to stand on those yellow footsteps!

ritter
08-09-09, 02:36 PM
It all depends on retention for that MOS. If you are squared away then there is always the potential for a meritorious promotion. I wouldn’t start worrying about picking up rank until you have been a LCpl for nine months and rate a cutting score.

Petz
08-09-09, 02:44 PM
to correct the Sgt... "...rate a composite score"

a cutting score is the number your composite score needs to be above. This is a slip of the tongue/fingers that is common. I'm sure the Sgt realized this after it was too late to edit his post.

He does speak the truth, promotions are all dependent on how good you are at your PFT, CFT, Rifle range, MCIs, etc. so don't worry... as long as you are the best at what you do you will get promoted above 90% of your peers.

Deleon1992
08-09-09, 03:03 PM
Thank you for your replies!

TheCrazySwede
08-13-09, 12:44 AM
Almost every single recruit from my platoon were 0311's, including me.

Pete0331
08-13-09, 01:33 AM
I wouldn’t start worrying about picking up rank until you have been a LCpl for nine months and rate a cutting score.

Negative.
Begin prep for the NCO ranks as early as possible.
Knock those MCI's out early, learn about leadership, and immerse yourself in all aspects of your MOS.

The faster you show your knowledge the more quickly you may be allowed to pick up through meritorious promotions.
If you don't, do not be discouraged as the skills you have learned along the path will better prepare you for any future promotions.

Certain 03XX MOS promote slowly.
Some of the smaller MOS's in the 03 community promote quickly.
It all depends on the TO (table of organization) for the whole Marine Corps.
0313, 0352, and 0321 especially, promote quickly because they are allowed more NCO billets.

Does that answer your question?

Trucrimsongold
08-13-09, 01:41 AM
Yes, it is harder to get NCO if you are infantry. I got out as a Lance but I was everything from a "SOG" sergeant of the guard in a MarDet to not only a "team leader" but a "squad leader" during the gulf and I took every MCI course i could and got out a Lance. I was told I would get Corporal faster if I was in LAVs or a tanker. If they have enough, they just make you wait. Atleast that is the way it was when I was in. Still, I regret nothing. I had fun as a Machinegunner. If I would have did the twenty i would have worked hard to become an Officer.

Quinbo
08-13-09, 04:46 AM
There is a thread around here somewhere with current cutting scores posted. A layman with no idea of what all goes into a composite score can see by comparison that 03's relative to other MOS's have to climb a higher mountain to earn the same stripe.

0331 2 0369
08-13-09, 07:02 AM
There has been some good knowledge passed along here. I never "non-rec'ed" anyone that deserved to be a Cpl. Being a Cpl in the infantry means a lot and demands a lot. At least if you are in a good unit that has a strong desire to operate at the "smallest unit level". I always put my utmost confidence in my NCO's. To me, they were a direct representative of our platoon/company/battalion/regiment. If those LCpl's didn't have the knowledge and willingness to be a leader of Marines, they were never put into those positions. Occaissionally I would run across a "sleeper" that had great potential but tried to not show it because they didn't want the extra duties and responsibilities. I had no problem with taking a chance on those Marines. And very rarely was I ever disappointed. This reflects some of what Pete said. Study your knowledge, do your required MCI's and as many more as possible and don't be afraid to volunteer for things. Sure, sometimes when you volunteer you will end up doing sh!ty duties but it will be recognized by a good NCO/SNCO and will pay off later. Push yourself and when you get put into the right position, push those under and around you. You will dictate your own promotion progress. At least to a point anyway.

TheCrazySwede
08-13-09, 11:46 AM
There has been some good knowledge passed along here. I never "non-rec'ed" anyone that deserved to be a Cpl. Being a Cpl in the infantry means a lot and demands a lot. At least if you are in a good unit that has a strong desire to operate at the "smallest unit level". I always put my utmost confidence in my NCO's. To me, they were a direct representative of our platoon/company/battalion/regiment. If those LCpl's didn't have the knowledge and willingness to be a leader of Marines, they were never put into those positions. Occaissionally I would run across a "sleeper" that had great potential but tried to not show it because they didn't want the extra duties and responsibilities. I had no problem with taking a chance on those Marines. And very rarely was I ever disappointed. This reflects some of what Pete said. Study your knowledge, do your required MCI's and as many more as possible and don't be afraid to volunteer for things. Sure, sometimes when you volunteer you will end up doing sh!ty duties but it will be recognized by a good NCO/SNCO and will pay off later. Push yourself and when you get put into the right position, push those under and around you. You will dictate your own promotion progress. At least to a point anyway.

He's right. If you want to get promoted at a desired speed, then try to "stand out" from the crowd and be that one Marine everyone can count on. As the Gunnery Sergeant here said, being a Cpl. in the 03's requires a lot more skill and knowledge than some other MOS's do. You gotta be willing to work. Be "Motivated and Dedicated" so to speak. Because, of all the regular Jarheads that set foot on those yellow footprints, some of them will be leaders, be one of them. Times can get hard, but nobody told you it will be easy, and if they did, they were wrong. Sometimes, when things get ridiculously hard, keep in mind that they might be testing you to see if you are up to the challenge. Remember, Motivated and Dedicated, that is what kept me going in the 03's.

smoking gunz
08-13-09, 12:17 PM
Also always have your uniforms squared away and looking sharp. It does make a difference. Stay in shape, I knew a few guys who had first class pft's but were over weight, they were non rec'd for not up keeping military appearence. Remember you must be a great follower before you can be a great leader.

0331 2 0369
08-13-09, 12:23 PM
Remember you must be a great follower before you can be a great leader.

And thats the bottom line. :beer: