PDA

View Full Version : Squad Leader or Guide in Boot?

Cressler
08-09-09, 10:45 AM
I searched this topic and i really couldn't find anything about it.

I know i don't leave for boot for a long while but i was just wondering how do they decide who gets the squad leader positions and guide?

Lupo22
08-09-09, 11:08 AM
They measure your man-hood. Smallest johnson gets guide and it works its way down from there. just worry about making it through. guide and squad leader jobs suck anyways. i was a squad leader for a while: last to eat chow, always getting IT'd for idiots in your squad...only good thing was I got to march out front for graduation.

but to answer your question: IST, loudest at sounding off, biggest/most lean, college, knowledge, randomly pick you...thats about it. they'll ask who has JROTC sometimes.

Cressler
08-09-09, 11:10 AM
Thank you PFC.

Achped
08-09-09, 12:55 PM
Don't worry, with 4 pullups, 60 crunches and not even passing the run portion of the IST no one will even consider you.

Maybe that should motivate you to do a little better?

fjmas1976
08-09-09, 01:13 PM
You're better off not being any of those. It doesn't matter once you leave and you're done with Recruit Training. Once you are in the Fleet it's a new ballgame and you write your own ticket from there. You're better off staying anonymous and flying under the radar as much as possible. I'm not saying you shouldn't give Recruit Training 110% effort, I'm just saying life is much easier without being responsible for other Recruit's issues,lack of motivation,stupidity,etc:usmc:

Cressler
08-09-09, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Achbed sorry i don't know your rank it's no on your profile...

But just so you know I only joined back in june with 1 pull up....40 crunches....and probably coudln't finish a mile and a half if you paid me so i think i'm improving good

Lupo22
08-09-09, 06:34 PM
Just keep pushing. Achped isn't tryin to put ya down. You'll learn quickly Marines don't sugar coat ANYTHING. They tell you straight forward so you better get some alligator skin and take criticism for what it is. You'll do fine. Just keep pushing and working out everyday.

If you are a contract PFC, don't even bother trying to get guide or squad leader. Besides, you'll want to get it towards the end after all the ****bags have been fired. Very few squad leaders hold that spot form beginning to end. A lot of guides do though

Cressler
08-09-09, 06:36 PM
Yeah my cousin and one of my friends have both been through Paradise Island <- spelled that way on purpose i know what it's call :)

I've talked to them alot about it

Lupo22
08-09-09, 08:31 PM
Yeah my cousin and one of my friends have both been through Paradise Island <- spelled that way on purpose i know what it's call :)

I've talked to them alot about it

You don't have to explain Paradise Island's spelling...you're not the first. You're probably not even the 100,000th to call it that.

Cressler
08-09-09, 08:44 PM
haha well didn't want any Sgt. or SSgt. or someone to come on here and yell at me for misspelling something lol

marine95
08-10-09, 01:01 AM
The bottom line is you want to wait until 3rd phase to get picked for the squad leader or guide. There will be many of them getting fired by the time you think your ready to handle the heat.

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 07:50 AM
It doesn't matter if you are a 300 pft'er or just a 230 pft'er. Most DI's are looking for someone that stands out and leads. I graduated from boot camp with only a 285 pft score. I was a squad leader on two seperate occaissions. I was not a squadleader when we graduated but I never gave up and I never quit helping my fellow recruits. For that, I was promoted to PFC coming out of bootcamp. All you can do is give it your best. If that is good enough for mertorious promotion..... so be it. If not..... Keep charging and never give up.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 09:05 AM
Meritorious PFC: Expert Rifle score, 1st class PFT, good Pros/Cons and good Swim qual (3 or better) and you're almost guaranteed PFC, if not Honor Grad!! Our Honor Grad was not our guide...he shot marksman and killed his chances. Our honor grad was a stud in the stats field though!! If only I had a better swim qual....

ameriken
08-10-09, 10:45 AM
When I went to PI, I dont think I ever even considered getting Guide or Squad Leader. It was enough to get my own sorry arse through without having to worry about everyone else's sorry arse!

0331 2 0369
08-10-09, 11:05 AM
When I went to PI, I dont think I ever even considered getting Guide or Squad Leader. It was enough to get my own sorry arse through without having to worry about everyone else's sorry arse!

That was my mentallity when I went through Hollywood. I just kept pushing myself harder and harder and when some of the "weaker" recruits started asking me for help, I couldn't say no. I took care of myself first but I always made sure to help out anyone that asked.