View Full Version : 'We shed blood on the battlefield together'

thedrifter
08-09-09, 07:04 AM
August 9, 2009
'We shed blood on the battlefield together'

Ryan Jerabek's 'brother' Marines show up for Hobart run in his honor

By charles davis
cedavis@greenbaypressgazette.com

HOBART — Ask Chris MacIntosh how many friends he lost in Iraq, and he can show you better than tell you.

Tattooed to the inside of both forearms are 21 names from the Marines E Company. On his right arm, the second name from the bottom reads "R. Jerabek."

"Kids go to high school and college together, but we shed blood on the battlefield together," said the 27-year-old from Boston.

MacIntosh joined his other platoon brothers for a reunion as they took part in the fourth annual Jerabek Memorial Challenge at Four Seasons Park in Hobart. An estimated 1,500 people registered, including companion runs in Iraq, California and Texas. Some company members walked, others ran, but all reflected on the time they spent overseas with Pfc. Ryan Jerabek.

He was killed in Iraq with 11 other Marines in an ambush in 2004.

Ryan Opeka, 27, from California, was Ryan Jerabek's squad leader.

"It had been too long since we've seen each other," he said. "What better place than here."

After the run, members from the 2nd Battalion, 4th Brigade, stopped at the park remembrance site for veterans.

"The atmosphere is amazing," said Dustin Cox, 26, from Fort Worth, Texas. "I'm going to start coming back for every one."

Crowds cheered before the race as 8-foot American flags lining the start line blew beneath a light rain.

Matthew Mroczynski, 20, of Pulaski took first place a second year in a row in a time of 20 minutes, 17 seconds.

"This is the most incredible day for this event," said Rita Jerabek, Ryan's mom. "It's so special to have Ryan's 'brother' Marines here today."

She called them his brothers because they shared a special bond.

Members described Ryan as shy at first but he opened up quickly and always talked about his family. Rita Jerabek still receives phone calls, cards and letters from well-wishers.

"It's a testament to this community," said Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt, who ran the event last year.

Runners wore T-shirts with the challenge's new logo: a scanned image of the boot print Ryan wore in Iraq.

Lee Anderson, 69, of De Pere volunteered for his third year, this time handing out flags to finishers.

"Water's better if you got a flag," he told exhausted runners. Anderson's son is currently serving in Iraq.

"I hope in the next couple years I can get my son out here," he said. "We want him to come back."

Kimberly Piesler, 27, and her husband walked their 7-week-old daughter Katelyn along the route Pfc. Ryan Jerabek ran as he trained for boot camp.

Pieseler, of Casco, has a cousin in the Marines, a brother in the Afghanistan, another in the Army and one in the Air Force.

"We owe it to them and all the other men and women out there," she said of participating.

Michele DeBauch, 33, of Gillett came with her child and other family members. She has come for the last three years and completed the walk. She said the path is difficult due to down hills and a big uphill.

Ryan Jerabek "actually did the run, but I wasn't brave enough for that," she said.

Ellie