PDA

View Full Version : New Commandant?

Ski 0121
08-08-09, 10:51 PM
My fellow Marines. I keep hearing rumors that we will be getting a new Commandant. I was just wondering because the rumors are saying that the new Commandant might get rid of the new policy on having sleeves(tattoos) :banana::yes::no:

ssgtblue
08-08-09, 10:58 PM
Lets hope so because that was pretty Fing GAY..... If you want to be a poster boy then cool, if you want people to know you are a hard ass that is protecting our Embasey then cool.... I dont think a Tat makes a Marine or should it have an effect on your career.

Alisium
08-08-09, 11:10 PM
Those tats are relatively new in their popularity and they are unprofessional. No one would advocate for those guys to have tats that go up the neck and on to the face either. Cause it looks like ****. We have an image to uphold. That takes every Marine, not a select few poster boys.

I haven't been out all that long, but when I was in most Marines got the moto tats on the arms and such. None of this extreme sleeve crap.

MLMonk
08-08-09, 11:19 PM
Yay for sleaves? Doesn't matter to me, hate needles touching my forearms, that's why all mine are within PT gear. Let's just hope he will be a good Commandant.

dizark
08-08-09, 11:21 PM
I try to stay professional, so all my tattoos are hidden behind PT gear.

BR34
08-08-09, 11:26 PM
I bet if there was a new Commandant incoming google would know about it.

dizark
08-08-09, 11:56 PM
Sorry, I meant "stay professional looking". Anyways, I heard a rumor about this new Commandant as well, but have no viable proof as of yet.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 02:56 AM
I don't mind the sleeve rule...I wanted a sleeve before the Corps, but after getting in, I've decided that it is kind of unprofessional and could be detrimental to my future law enforcement plans when I get out, but to each his own. as long as it stays off the face, upper neck and is tasteful in morality, then go for it (when it isn't a rule anymore)

flyby
08-09-09, 05:57 AM
I bet if there was a new Commandant incoming Google would know about it.

That was really funny! I have read about the tattoo issue and it affecting recruitment/re-enlistment. As someone trying to get back in the SMCR the first question I was asked was, 'do you have any tattoos'? So I can only imagine. But that issue aside, I am one who can't wait for a new Commandant! I realize that each new Commandant wants to leave his mark on the Corps but this one has gone too far (IMO). Instead of doing a world tour for a new PT uniform or endorsing the CFT why not do something more measurable? Like Gen. Gray did with instituting MCT? Not a PT uniform that cost too much to replace and makes us look like a freaking track team! I just hope the new Commandant is a different type!

08-09-09, 09:22 AM
That was really funny! I have read about the tattoo issue and it affecting recruitment/re-enlistment. As someone trying to get back in the SMCR the first question I was asked was, 'do you have any tattoos'? So I can only imagine. But that issue aside, I am one who can't wait for a new Commandant! I realize that each new Commandant wants to leave his mark on the Corps but this one has gone too far (IMO). Instead of doing a world tour for a new PT uniform or endorsing the CFT why not do something more measurable? Like Gen. Gray did with instituting MCT? Not a PT uniform that cost too much to replace and makes us look like a freaking track team! I just hope the new Commandant is a different type!

I like the CFT, and agree about the uniform, but he has pushed to get Marines out of the occupying force role, and back to a more amphibious role. You know, what we have always been. It is a slow change, but one that is happening non the less.

BR34
08-09-09, 09:58 AM
So is it usually a secret process when there is a potential new Commandant? I would think this is something that would be all over Marinecorpstimes.

thewookie
08-09-09, 10:00 AM
So is it usually a secret process when there is a potential new Commandant? I would think this is something that would be all over Marinecorpstimes.

I'm with ya, I thought it was every four years or something like that, like clockwork. Forgive me for not knowing or already googling it myself, but that is what I assume. Time to go googling....:)

DocGreek
08-09-09, 10:27 AM
Are CMC's appointed by the Chairman of The Joint Chief's??....OR...by the Sec. of the Navy??....can I apply??

Lupo22
08-09-09, 11:01 AM
Are CMC's appointed by the Chairman of The Joint Chief's??....OR...by the Sec. of the Navy??....can I apply??

The previous Commandant makes a list of choices. Then the Sec. of the Navy and the Sec. of Defense approve or modify the list. Then it gets sent up to the President and he either approves or disapproves. Then I believe the Senate has to confirm the decision. Correct me if i'm wrong

jackson07
08-09-09, 12:17 PM
Nominated by the President and must be confirmed by the Senate.

Devildogg99
08-09-09, 12:49 PM
I heard about the reversal of the current updated tattoo policy in regards to sleeve tattoos. I havent heard anything about a new commandant though as of yet. I think the sleeve tattoo policy is extreme to the fact where it hurts retention beyond expectations. I do agree on the keeping in good order which should dictate and be absolute above all. It not only hurt retention but recruiters as well to include career recruiters coming back for a subsequent tour.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 12:53 PM
Nominated by the President and must be confirmed by the Senate.

But doesn't his nomination get sent up by Sec of Navy? Or are you saying the President just goes in a chooses?

I really hope we don't get a new Commandant under Pres. Obama. I don't really think he'll pick the best representative for the Corps. I could be wrong though.

Achped
08-09-09, 12:56 PM
What are we, England getting a new King? Who cares? There ain't nothing I can do about it.

jackson07
08-09-09, 01:04 PM
Lupo you just got in the Marine Corps. You don't have the slightest idea what we need. Please worry about making it to the fleet first.

As with an Presidential nomination the President takes into consideration the opinions and views of many people. In the end it is the President who submited names to Congress.

BR34
08-09-09, 01:47 PM
Haven't made it in the fleet yet? Where the hell are you Lupo?

jackson07
08-09-09, 01:50 PM
He is on RA, and Lupo fix your profile.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 06:28 PM
He is on RA, and Lupo fix your profile.

Ay, Cpl. While I'm not in the Fleet yet, I still have my opinion and I'd just rather not have the Commandant picked by one of the farthest left Presidents we've had. That's all. If it happens, which it probably will, so be it. It is what it is.

BR34
08-09-09, 07:26 PM
You're gonna be ruined before you even leave SOI.

JoeInVille
08-09-09, 07:34 PM
Wow, i love it how American society has gotten, make such a big deal about tattoos. Anyone who is out of the ordinary is wrong now adays. Everyone has to be barbie and ken or else we get criticized and looked down upon. Tattoos can mean a lot to someone and its sad that the Marine Corps makes such a big deal about it. Know quite a few Marines with sleeves that have to do with their fallen brothers but i guess that is wrong.

Lisa 23
08-09-09, 07:57 PM
The Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) is the highest-ranking officer in the United States Marine Corps and is a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The CMC reports directly to the Secretary of the Navy—but not to the Chief of Naval Operations—and is responsible for ensuring the organization, policy, plans, and programs for the Marine Corps as well as advising the President, the Secretary of Defenseand the Secretary of the Navy on matters involving the Marine Corps. Under the authority of the Secretary of the Navy, the CMC designates Marine personnel and resources to the commanders of Unified Combatant Commands.The commandant performs all other functions prescribed in Section 5043 in Title 10 of the United States Codeor delegates those duties and responsibilities to other officers in his administration in his name. As with the other joint chiefs, the commandant is an administrative position and has no operational command authority over United States Marine Corps forces.

The Commandant is nominated by the President and must be confirmed by the Senate and is appointed as a four-star General. "The Commandant is directly responsible to the Secretary of the Navy for the total performance of the Marine Corps. This includes the administration, discipline, internal organization, training, requirements, efficiency, and readiness of the service. The Commandant is responsible for the operation of the Marine Corps material support system."

The Commandant shall be appointed for a term of four years from the general officers of the Marine Corps, and usually retires after that single term. He serves at the pleasure of the President. In time of war or during a national emergency declared by Congress, he may be reappointed for a term of not more than four years.

Current CMC:
Gen. James T. Conway
<SMALL>since: November 14, 2006</SMALL>

Petz
08-09-09, 08:05 PM
so unless he's planning on retiring soon any rumor right now is most likely scuttlebutt.

I think Bush is the one who got the commandant to be on the joint chiefs of staff... I always thought the navy took the spot and we rode shot-gun.

I do know that we've been reporting to the SecNav since like forever though.

Devildogg99
08-09-09, 08:08 PM
Ay, Cpl. While I'm not in the Fleet yet, I still have my opinion and I'd just rather not have the Commandant picked by one of the farthest left Presidents we've had. That's all. If it happens, which it probably will, so be it. It is what it is.

Either way you will still follow his orders no matter if he is a republican or a democrat. Left, right in drill is all you need to worry about

Lupo22
08-09-09, 08:26 PM
Either way you will still follow his orders no matter if he is a republican or a democrat. Left, right in drill is all you need to worry about

Of course. I'm not saying I won't do what I'm told. I've been obedient to many a boss I haven't particularly agreed with.

Jdncowboy
08-09-09, 08:31 PM
I think Bush is the one who got the commandant to be on the joint chiefs of staff... I always thought the navy took the spot and we rode shot-gun.

General Lemuel C. Shepherd Jr., The 20th Commandant of the Marine Corps, was the first Commandant to serve on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Gotta love wikipedia

Petz
08-09-09, 10:06 PM
yut... well, I was mis informed... maybe it was something to do with General Pace being the first Chief of staff or whatever it's called....

Ski 0121
08-09-09, 10:26 PM
You're gonna be ruined before you even leave SOI.

LMAO that was good.

I see a lot of good points. Well obviously everyone reading this can see that I am pro sleeves. But truth be told I really just want a few tattoos on my forearms. To be honest a really thick sleeve dosen't look the best, but I don't think that means that you shouldn't be able to have any showing in pt gear. One of the main purposes of a tattoo is to show them off. So I'm just a fan of being able to get a tattoo to show off, whether it looks terrible or not.