PDA

View Full Version : MCMAP instruction...

Lupo22
08-08-09, 10:16 AM
My SSgt here at my recruiting station said he would test me for my gray (and green belt if I make it). I was wondering if anyone here knew of a website that I could buy an instructional video or something to that effect? I don't really want to read because, well, that sucks.

I do know Tae Kwon Do and some self-defense fighting from a few years of training when I was in my teens so that should help too.

Thanks!
S/F

Warbyrd13
08-08-09, 08:54 PM
What belt are you in Tae Kwon Do?

As for what to study you would have to look up the Requirments needed for each "belt" for MCMAP. Most of it deals with the amount of training time and you have to "master" certain moves for each belt.

Which is alot differant then the normal martial arts out there.

This may be old but here is an outline for you.

The program uses an advancement system of colored belts similar to that of most martial arts. The different levels of belts are:

Tan belt, the lowest color belt and conducted during entry level training, signifies the basic understanding of the mental, physical, and character disciplines. It is the minimum requirement of all Marines with a training time of 27.5 hours and has no prerequisites. Recruits receive these belts after completion of a practical application test on all of the basic techniques of the Tan Belt.
Gray belt is the second belt attained after 39 hours of training. It signifies an intermediate understanding of the basic disciplines. The prerequisites for this belt are as follows: The Marine must complete the "Leading Marines" course from the Marine Corps Institute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Institute), and most instructors will require a report be completed on The Marine Raiders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Raiders).
Green belt is the third belt, requiring 44 hours of training. This belt signifies understanding of the intermediate fundamentals of the different disciplines. This is the first belt level in which one can become an instructor, which allows him or her to teach tan and grey belt techniques with the power to award the appropriate belt. The prerequisites for this belt include a recommendation from reporting senior, and to be an instructor requires the Marine to be a Corporal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal#United_States) or higher.
Brown Belt is the fourth belt level requiring 56.5 hours of training. It introduces Marines to the advanced fundamentals of each discipline. In addition, as with green belts, they may be certified as MAIs and teach tan through green techniques. Prerequisites for this belt include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Corporal or higher (able to waiver to LCpl), and appropriate PMEs completed for rank (Such as Corporal's Course).
Black belt 1st degree is the highest belt color and requires 62.5 hours of supervised training. It signifies knowledge of the advanced fundamentals of the different disciplines. A 1st degree black belt instructor may teach fundamentals from tan to brown belt and award the appropriate belt. In addition, a black belt can become an instructor-trainer, which authorizes them to teach and award all belts, as well as teach and certify instructors. Prerequisites include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Sergeant or above, and appropriate level of PME completed (such as Sergeant's Course.)

Tan Belt

The tan belt syllabus focuses on the development of the basics of armed and unarmed combat. Students start with the Basic Warrior Stance and break-falls are taught for safety, then move to:

basic punches, uppercuts, and hooks
basic upper-body strikes, including the eye gouge, hammer fists, and elbow strikes
basic lower-body strikes, including kicks, knee strikes, and stomps
bayonet techniques
basic chokes and throws
counters to strikes, chokes, and holds
basic unarmed restraints and armed manipulations
basic knife techniques
basic weapons of opportunity

Students must prove proficiency with 80% of 50 techniques to pass and earn their belt. The tan belt syllabus is part of The Basic School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basic_School) and recruit training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps#Initial_training) curriculum.

Gray Belt

The gray belt syllabus expands on the basic techniques with:

intermediate bayonet techniques
intermediate upper-body strikes including knife-hands (karate chops) and elbow strikes
intermediate lower-body strikes including kicks, knee strikes, and stomps
intermediate chokes and throws
counters to strikes, chokes, and holds
intermediate unarmed restraints and armed manipulations
intermediate knife techniques
basic ground fighting
basic nonlethal baton techniques
intermediate weapons of opportunity

Green Belt

The Green belt technique shifts focus from defensive to offensive techniques with:

intermediate bayonet techniques
muscle gouging
intermediate chokes and throws
counters to strikes
intermediate unarmed manipulation
intermediate ground fighting
intermediate nonlethal baton techniques
advanced weapons of opportunity

Brown Belt

advanced bayonet techniques
advanced ground fighting and chokes
advanced throws
unarmed vs. hand held weapons
firearm retention
firearm disarmament
advanced knife techniques
advanced nonlethal baton techniques

Black Belt 1st Degree

advanced bayonet techniques
advanced chokes, holds, and throws
advanced ground fighting
basic counter firearm techniques
advanced upper-body strikes, including strikes and smashes
advanced knife techniques
pressure points
improvised weapons

Black Belt 2nd Degree

rifle vs. rifle
short weapon vs. rifle
unarmed vs. rifle

But here should be a quick outline to answer your question about the new hand to hand training you will receive in the Marines. But the requirments will change from year to year for the defiierant belts as the system is revised/improved upon. But what will help you is the fact you have formal training before you joined so it will help you.

ssgtblue
08-08-09, 10:43 PM
Semper Ninja.... Green Belt

Achped
08-09-09, 12:27 AM
I hate MCMAP. I said that for tan in boot...and then gray...and then green...and then brown....its so stupid.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 02:54 AM
I was a brown belt in tae kwon do. I can't speak much for MCMAP because I've only done tan belt, but what i have done and what i've read about gray belt techniques, it is pretty stupid. Put any yellow belt against a tan, gray or green belt and I'd put my money on the yellow belt (all physical attributes considered as being equal).

But, none-the-less, someone with a lot of brass thinks its a good thing (and it is), so I'll learn it and try to master it as I have other forms. S/F and thanks!

Still wouldn't mind a link to a video/dvd I could buy if anyone has such a link...

jackson07
08-09-09, 03:54 AM
The videos are on the TECOM website.

Also, you realize MCMAP is ment to be done with a combat load? MCMAP was never ment to be compared to other forms of martial arts. It is purely a form of self defense that can be performed while in a combat situation while wearing/carrying a combat load.

HurricaneRJ
08-09-09, 09:59 AM
I never heard of a brand new Marine coming out of boot being able to gain a belt. It takes one week of tan belt remediation and then one week of grey belt moves.

Don't get MCMAP mixed up with MMA. If you want to become a cage fighter, learn something else. If your lucky down in your career and get a chance to goto black belt instructors course tell me how it is.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 11:05 AM
I understand that Cpl. Its combat training, and should be measured as such. I just came from PI with a black belt/red stripe Senior and we had a small debate over whether a 1st degree black belt in say Tae Kwon Do or Judo could defeat a USMC black belt. Thats all. There's no doubt what they make you do for that black belt and that stripe is TOUGH!! Holy crap...we were getting stories from our senior!

As far as not being able to gain a belt, yesterday the conversation about moving up a belt involved our Sgt. Maj., a Captain, and two SSgts. If they didn't say I can't, then I think I'm good :)

jackson07
08-09-09, 12:15 PM
Martial Arts Instructor Trainer (MAIT), that is your black belt with a red stripe.

If you can get your belts do it. If it is right or not that is a different story.

Hurricane- There is nothing that says how many weeks it must take you. It is all measured in hours. So many hours of remediation, and so many hours of the new belt before testing.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 12:55 PM
Martial Arts Instructor Trainer (MAIT), that is your black belt with a red stripe.

If you can get your belts do it. If it is right or not that is a different story.

Hurricane- There is nothing that says how many weeks it must take you. It is all measured in hours. So many hours of remediation, and so many hours of the new belt before testing.

My Senior Drill Instructor had a "One Mind, Any Weapon" shirt...is that the MAIT shirt? Because as far as I know, he wasn't an instructor, but has the red stripe black belt. I'm not sure though...I'm still new to all this :D

Thanks for the advice though. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. It'd be pretty sweet sitting at SOI with a gray belt while everyone has is stuck with that tan belt hehe

jackson07
08-09-09, 01:01 PM
Anyone can wear a MCMAP shirt. If he wore it at bootcamp it means he was an instructor or instructor trainer. And like I just told you, a black belt with a red stripe is in instructor trainer. Which means yes he is an instructor and yes he can also instruct instructors.

HurricaneRJ
08-09-09, 03:49 PM

My fault, that is how we did in the fleet, both for grey and green.

Petz
08-09-09, 04:09 PM
you can't obtain a green belt until you are an NCO or get a waiver.... I doubt a "boot" Marine will get the waiver as the OICs judgment would be held into question as you don't belong to his unit.

get the grey, and you can train for green... get your hours logged in the book, and you could even train for brown and get your hours logged. as long as you do a refresher with your new instructor they will have to accept those hours you have logged.

then it'll take less time to get up in your MCMAP.

oh, I think 03XX can get a green belt... lupo you a grunt?

HurricaneRJ
08-09-09, 04:15 PM
Combat Arms Marines are supposed to be green before deployment.

We have Pvt's and Pfc's as green belts.

BR34
08-09-09, 05:57 PM
I personally know a couple Marines who were green belts when they were LCpls. They actually spent the better part of 4 weeks going straight from tan to green. And they def. aren't grunts.

No matter though. MCMAP is retarded. It just gives the closet homos a reason to get sweaty and mash against each other.

Not even Bruce Lee can kick a bullet's as*.

Lupo22
08-09-09, 06:22 PM
you can't obtain a green belt until you are an NCO or get a waiver.... I doubt a "boot" Marine will get the waiver as the OICs judgment would be held into question as you don't belong to his unit.

get the grey, and you can train for green... get your hours logged in the book, and you could even train for brown and get your hours logged. as long as you do a refresher with your new instructor they will have to accept those hours you have logged.

then it'll take less time to get up in your MCMAP.

oh, I think 03XX can get a green belt... lupo you a grunt?

Yes, SSgt, I'm an 03xx. I thought you have to be an NCO to get an instructor stripe? Didn't know there was a requirement for just a green belt.

And as far as my SDI having a stripe, I think I have "instructor" confused. I take instructor as the MAI's that we had for MCMAP at PI. I meant that he never did that kinda stuff as far as I know.

HurricaneRJ
08-09-09, 09:54 PM
I personally know a couple Marines who were green belts when they were LCpls. They actually spent the better part of 4 weeks going straight from tan to green. And they def. aren't grunts.

No matter though. MCMAP is retarded. It just gives the closet homos a reason to get sweaty and mash against each other.

Not even Bruce Lee can kick a bullet's as*.

Yeah I know what you mean. MCMAP can be fun sometimes, but I know some NCO's who can take it back to boot camp "TAKE A STANCE!" that type of **** was old in at Boot and will forever be. You won't learn stand-up or BJJ **** in MCMAP but I've seen what some black belts can do and it's amazing, but I think every new recruit wants to believe MCMAP will help them beat anyone's ass.

Ski 0121
08-09-09, 10:38 PM
I saw a LCpl that got reclassed here (Fort Leonard Wood) that is wearing a black belt. Some of his fellow Marines told me that he was a prior Martial Arts instructor, as a civilian, but still went through all the MCMAP training to that belt. My question is that possible for a command to waive a LCpl to get that high of a belt?

Warbyrd13
08-10-09, 05:47 AM
There is a waiver for a person who has prior martial arts experaince and has proof of that experiance to go a few "belts" above thier rank. My friend was a instructor of Tao kwon Do when he was 17 and a 2nd black belt. He had his black belt in Kendo. i know black belt isn't the proper term for kendo but it is all I can think of now.

his command offered the course and he declined. He didn't beleive in MCMAP and to be honest all it is basic fighting 101 at best. But i am very biased IMO about this subject.

Petz
08-10-09, 06:59 AM
the real fighting is brown and black belt... everything else is just an introduction.
quit bashing the stuff guys...

as for a Lance having black belt, back when they didn't have a lot of instructors they accepted black belts in martial arts as a waiver to have bb MCMAP... now they don't do that, so I doubt this happened.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 08:59 AM
They had that TV show a while back where that MMA fighter and the wrestler/pro football player went and fought different styles and when they got to the Marines, they actually had some difficulty fighting the Marines in a combat enviroment (simulated water fighting, etc). So it's not all "basic" fighting...my SDI was pretty bad ass with some of his take-downs and submissions!

BR34
08-10-09, 10:45 AM
You should get your SDI's name tattooed on your chest.

Petz
08-10-09, 10:51 AM
with a big heart! haha... lupo, it's called Stockholm Syndrome.... you'll get over it eventually.

jackson07
08-10-09, 09:54 PM
You should get your SDI's name tattooed on your chest.

I second that.

Lupo22
08-10-09, 11:56 PM
I'll get right on that Cpls

J Cooper
08-30-09, 02:21 PM
Wow... so much confusion here... ill start with this...

Pvt-LCpl can obtain up to a Green Belt without a waiver. Just make sure to have all of your PME and MCIs complete and you wont have a problem.

The new MCO (forgot which one) requires all combat arms MOS's to be at least a green belt and all non combat arms MOS's to be at least a grey belt.

LCpls can obtain a Brown Belt through a waiver that is done by the Instructor and the Chain of Commands approval. You pretty much better be **** hot if your a LCpl and want a Brown Belt. I have had plenty of LCpls stay through brown belt, get there hours for it, then get denied the waiver because they do not have their MCIs done or other miscellaneous reasons. As far as a LCpl with a Black Belt - hell no.

Remember that everything in MCMAP is a combat mindset, so you are equiped with such gear and employ the gear through combat conditioning, knowledge, and actual techniques. We have our own martial arts program for a reason. MCMAP should not be considered stupid, it builds on the basic foundations for later training and trust me, you will want to have it.