PDA

View Full Version : Disobeying the Drill Drill Instructors

HookNLadder
08-08-09, 12:21 AM
I understand that a high value is placed on instance obedience. But is there ever a time that the Drill Instructors want you to disobey them? Particularity when it comes to teamwork? For example if a Drill Instructor quarter decks one recruit in front of the platoon should the platoon join their fellow recruit?
A story I heard was of a recruit that broke his leg on the march to the Eagle Globe and Anchor ceremony. Another recruit picked him up and carried the rest of the way. The Drill Instructors were in his face the whole time ordering him to put the recruit down. He refused the every time. The recruit was given a meritorious promotion to Private First Class.
Are there times when the Drill Instructors want you to disobey them?

Donut Brigade
08-08-09, 01:12 AM
I think you answered your own question bud. You can never be punished for doing the right thing.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-09, 01:43 AM
And there you have it.

BR34
08-08-09, 08:28 AM
I think you answered your own question bud. You can never be punished for doing the right thing.

Ummm....yea, you most certainly CAN.

You'll can be punished for ANYTHING. Hell, I got quarter decked/ sand pitted plenty of times just because the D.I.s were bored.

Moderboater
08-08-09, 01:08 PM
Well personally...not saying you should do this but I did it.

My advice..is unless you want really (good) training and long hours of pt do not anger your drill instructors purposely like I did. I do have to disagree with alot of Marines here, that what you do in bootcamp really doesn't mean crap in the fleet, especially if you get to a infantry battalion. Do exactly what I didn't do, and keep your mouth shut. Though I was a smartass in bootcamp, my drill instructors hated me, hell even refused to train me b/c I loved the IT sessions so much, but my senior drill instructor was a very smart man and knew I was angering the killhats on purpose. Like I said shut your trap and obey and you will be just fine. Remember though bootcamp is a step in the right direction, when you hit the fleet especially in infantry you hit boot status ;).

rufio14
08-08-09, 08:00 PM
Well as far as that boot camp story goes they were probably serious about him putting that recruit down... The guy had just broken his leg, the Corpsman porbably needed to look at him, they didn't know the reason why he suddenley went down. And the Marine Corps could get in big trouble if something were to happend to both recruits. I realized that in boot..they took so many precautions to not get sue, be politically correct or what not. The Drill Instructors are under ALOT of restrictions and are closely monitered..which is a good and bad thing...where exactly did you hear this story? Cause I'm pretty sure if this happened on the west coast no recruit would be able to cary another recruit back and his main pack as well..at least not for very long.

HookNLadder
08-08-09, 09:18 PM
I heard it from a Lance Corporal who went to boot camp in 2007.

dizark
08-08-09, 11:54 PM
In my first platoon, the guide and squad leaders were always paying for everyone else and their mistakes, so one session during phase I when they went to the sand pit, I tried to join them (thinking teamwork).. The Heavy Hat asked wtf I was doing, and after I told him, he told me to go the F away. :P

Lisa 23
08-09-09, 04:56 PM
HookNLadder, how about filling out the rest of your profile so we all know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

Lupo22
08-09-09, 08:35 PM
We had one day when the guide and squad leaders were getting killed for a ****bag recruit and we all, as a platoon, got on the QD with them after they were getting murdered for their 2nd time that day. The DI told them to go away when he saw us all come up there. So it worked out I guess.

Moderboater
08-10-09, 09:18 PM
lol yeah..teamwork..they told me to "F off" when I joined my rackmate, and I disobeyed them. They let my rackmat go and smoked me..was well worth it though, I was IT'd a ton in bootcamp by choice :).

Petz
08-10-09, 09:34 PM
We had one day when the guide and squad leaders were getting killed for a ****bag recruit and we all, as a platoon, got on the QD with them after they were getting murdered for their 2nd time that day. The DI told them to go away when he saw us all come up there. So it worked out I guess.

we tried that... when the senior left at the end of the day just before he turned us to they smoked the whole platoon 5 mins at a time... one quarter at a time (you can only have so many recruits on the quarter deck at a time)... they don't like it when you team up against them.... we then had 15 min firewatch... you wake up, you get ready, you then you go relieve firewatch then wake up your relief... you get to do that twice a night, three if you're lucky... great motivator to NOT mess with your DIs.

but to the OP... they will try to make you lose your bearing ALL the time.. they will throw out jokes, "FIRM" corrections on your POA, and best of all, yelling at you so close you head knocks off their cover... oh, but don't be the one to pick it up!!! oh no!!! hahaha, something about him wanting to BE a DI... next thing you know he's got his boots bloused, campaign cover on and wearing a duty belt... shaking like a leaf in the wind being told to go into the duty hut where the SDI was... with the series guns... oh yes, he did it...I'll leave what happened to that one recruit to your imagination.

Gary Hall
08-10-09, 09:40 PM
:usmc::usmc:This is the easiest one I've seen on hear. In my time (1947 - 1952) it was unthinkable. But then I had a real Drill Instructor, a Warrior, SSGT Douglas Gardner, taken captive on Wake Island 23 December, 1941 and survived the next 44 months, released late in 1945. But I should say Marines, we didn't have all this polarization I see all the time and there was not any doubt, at that time, what the USMC was all about. I see a lot of doubt about what you are about today and the issues are still much in doubt. The bottom line is who wins the wars and why fight 'em if you will not win. It appears that it may all be about the bottom line, are you going to earn your wages or are you going to just make money? Put me down as declaring that a livelihood of striving to make money is worthless. Gary Hall, Tyler, TX

ohsdrummer08
08-10-09, 11:59 PM
Well, I would venture to say that story is a little over the top, ESPECIALLY if it were on the West coast. As for your question:

If the DI's want you to do something, you WILL 99% of the time DO IT. That 1% would be someone higher up stepping in. If you did something other than what he told you, he would probably physically move you "assisting you" in your completion of the task. HOWEVER, the DI's will have a little fun with eachothers platoons... If a DI who isnt your own tells you to do something inside YOUR sqaudbay, be careful... there are different rules for every platoon... listen to the DI's.

Petz
08-11-09, 10:03 AM
Well, I would venture to say that story is a little over the top, ESPECIALLY if it were on the West coast. As for your question:

If the DI's want you to do something, you WILL 99% of the time DO IT. That 1% would be someone higher up stepping in. If you did something other than what he told you, he would probably physically move you "assisting you" in your completion of the task. HOWEVER, the DI's will have a little fun with eachothers platoons... If a DI who isnt your own tells you to do something inside YOUR sqaudbay, be careful... there are different rules for every platoon... listen to the DI's.

yeah, they'll walk behind the platoon your first week and give a facing command and laugh as 80% of the platoon does it... always and only follow the orders of the DI in front of the platoon at all times...

ameriken
08-11-09, 10:53 AM
But you know there are times when in your own mind, you could obey one or the other, and no matter what choice you make the DI's are going to find the opportunity to get in your sh*t about it. Sometimes you're just never right, no matter what you do. :iwo:

Petz
08-11-09, 10:55 AM
I'd rather get my ass handed to me for listening to MY DI than one that isn't apart of my plt....

tangovictor87
08-11-09, 01:18 PM
Ummm....yea, you most certainly CAN.

You'll can be punished for ANYTHING. Hell, I got quarter decked/ sand pitted plenty of times just because the D.I.s were bored.

I got it'd once because the DI wanted a dip, so we went outside for 10 mins.