PDA

View Full Version : Here's my Story... Assistance please??

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 07:15 PM
Here's a bit about me. I am now 27, B-day 9-20-81. White, male, 5'10&quot; 175. <br />
<br />
Education: <br />
Completed 11th Grade <br />
G.E.D. <br />
Currently enrolled in college with 36 credits and 8 months til I get my...

BR34
08-07-09, 07:29 PM
First of all, with your college credits it doesn't matter if you have a GED. You're considered a Tier I (if it's an accredited school and you're taking lvl 100 or above courses).

Second, it's Marine CorpS. You would want to know something like that.

My advice to you was going to be simple. Contact a recruiter. But since you already did that, and were denied enlistment, for whatever reason, I don't understand what you want from us. "Pay any amount of money"? You can't buy the title you're seeking.

Write your congressman.

JimmyK
08-07-09, 08:04 PM
I couldn't imagine being a 27+ year old PFC and having to answer to a NCO/SNCO who is considerably younger than me. But if your ready to do it more power to you. Good Luck!

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 08:08 PM
No I understand that I cant BUY my title, I'm just demonstrating that I am willing to go the distance and/or do whatever it takes to be enlisted. The reason that I was turned down here in Orlando is...

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 08:10 PM
I couldn't imagine being a 27+ year old PFC and having to answer to a NCO/SNCO who is considerably younger than me. But if your ready to do it more power to you. Good Luck!

The age thing doesnt bother me... I understand that regardless of age you can always be taught a lesson....

Any suggestions though??

tgwkreu7
08-07-09, 08:11 PM
You Want An Answer To Your Question I Wrote Him And I Got A Quick Answer By A Person Comin To My Door And Talked With Me You Need To Sit Down Do Some Thinking And Then Write The Commandant Of The Marine Corps He Will Let You Know One Way Or Another Something Similar To The Post You Sent To This Sight

Jk

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 08:15 PM
You Want An Answer To Your Question I Wrote Him And I Got A Quick Answer By A Person Comin To My Door And Talked With Me You Need To Sit Down Do Some Thinking And Then Write The Commandant Of The Marine Corps He Will Let You Know One Way Or Another Something Similar To The Post You Sent To This Sight

Jk

That sounds good. I might try that. It would be great if I could actually speak to the Commandant in person. Not sure how likely that is but I feel that face-to-face is better and stronger than hiding behind words...

Not totally ruling that option out though... thNx again

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 09:32 PM

Jk

Just spoke to an old friend..... he is a career recruiter GNY Sergeant out of Charlotte, NC. He told me that it's not a good idea to write the Commandant because Im not currently in the Marine Corps. however, he did say to write the letter and have it ready.

I'm still open to any type of suggestions...

Thanks

Petz
08-07-09, 09:48 PM
I suggest you ask him how to abbreviate his rank properly. Then I'd try calling other Places you are willing to travel to... if you've got to fly to Florida to enlist you'd do it right?

samthomas
08-07-09, 09:48 PM
Drive up north, and talk to a recruiter. Stay with a friend or something, so that you can say you are local.

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 09:55 PM
I suggest you ask him how to abbreviate his rank properly. Then I'd try calling other Places you are willing to travel to... if you've got to fly to Florida to enlist you'd do it right?

SSgt, sorry I didnt abbreviate correctly. When I get to typing sometimes I tend to miskey I meant to type GYSGT..... and I currently live IN Florida... but yes, I'm willing to Fly to Alaska if someone was there and willing to work with me.....

Petz
08-07-09, 09:57 PM
haha... that's ironic... I should have looked at your location right under your name... maybe it was subconcious...

anyways, you made your point... just start making phone calls.

if they are willing and their CO is willing you'll drive to them so they can get eyes on you and make a final decision... make sure you explain the situation on why you need to goto another district, give them the recruiters name and number you were attempting to go through so they can confirm this (poaching is bad juju in many cases...)

good luck

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 10:00 PM
haha... that's ironic... I should have looked at your location right under your name... maybe it was subconcious...

anyways, you made your point... just start making phone calls.

if they are willing and their CO is willing you'll drive to them so they can get eyes on you and make a final decision... make sure you explain the situation on why you need to goto another district, give them the recruiters name and number you were attempting to go through so they can confirm this (poaching is bad juju in many cases...)

good luck

Thanks..... I am wondering if anyone can tell me some areas that are needing recruits..... everyone I've spoken with have met quotas..... I need someone who needs me.....

BR34
08-07-09, 10:05 PM
The army recently decided to add 30,000 soldiers to their ranks...

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 10:06 PM
The army recently decided to add 30,000 soldiers to their ranks...

ARMY....

samthomas
08-07-09, 10:18 PM
ARMY....

Go Army! Save yourself the drive.

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 10:37 PM
Why r u trying to get someone who wants to be a MARINE try to become a soldier.....? You have no idea how good of a MARINE and how dedicated I would be..... I have nothing against the Army... nothing at all, But I'd rather be respected as a MARINE and have the heritage and tradition that follows...I am aware that the Army has a longer history, I want to be part of a Brotherhood that lasts for my entire life and my family's entire future when I'm gone.... That my friend, will come from being a MARINE...... You all should know more than me.... most of you are already Marines..... Now back to providing a future Marine with some guidance... thank you

samthomas
08-07-09, 10:52 PM
Plenty of sound advice has been given. Find a recruiter who is willing to work with you...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:dsLQ3_rN54K6UM:http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc354/Cano2789/DrillInstructor.jpg

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 10:53 PM
Plenty of sound advice has been given. Find a recruiter who is willing to work with you...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:dsLQ3_rN54K6UM:http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc354/Cano2789/DrillInstructor.jpg

LMAO.... thanks bro

Petz
08-07-09, 11:44 PM
how about calling him by his rank.

the Marine Corps is above it's numbers for AD personnel. NO ONE needs poolees. this is probably the best time to be a recruiter in the history of the Marine Corps... you can be set for the entire year for an office of 6 recruiters with 24 DEPers... good luck, but the ball is now in your court.

Thisisrandy
08-07-09, 11:50 PM
how about calling him by his rank.

the Marine Corps is above it's numbers for AD personnel. NO ONE needs poolees. this is probably the best time to be a recruiter in the history of the Marine Corps... you can be set for the entire year for an office of 6 recruiters with 24 DEPers... good luck, but the ball is now in your court.

and Thank you SSgt Petzold for your added information as well. It is all much appreciated

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-09, 01:24 AM
I went back and re-read your post after reviewing the answers.

Here is the 'no bs' deal for you:

You cannot enlist while on probation. Period. It doesn't matter WHAT state you go to or who you talk to, you cannot, repeat, CANNOT enlist. NOT while on probation for ANY offense.

Simply put, you will NOT be able to become a Marine, in my opinion, not now and with the max dropoff age approaching. At least, at this point anyway. You might stand a chance once probation is over with in July of 2010, since you won't turn 29 until September, if you don't DEP but enlist for an immediate ship date. That's the only way.

It doesn't matter how motivated, how much you 'want' it, or how much money you are willing to pay, it's not a 'right' to enlist into the Marine Corps, or any branch for that matter.

The Army, in your case, is your best and most available option. Even the Army, however, WILL NOT enlist you on probation, and you'll need waivers for the criminal issues regardless.

A recruiter may wander in here eventually and give you more Intel, but based on what I know and what I've seen here, I don't believe the facts stated above are going to significantly change.

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 07:26 AM
No, you are correct. I am aware that I cannot enlist while being on probation. However, one can enlist while on probation for minor traffic offenses, just nothing criminal. Just FYI. And I'm working on gettting the probation released. I am also aware that if I do get an early release I am not allowed to enlist until 90 prior to probation release. And the release MUST NOT be on Military bases or I will still have to wait out my entire term of the probation.

Thank you Sgt.

I went back and re-read your post after reviewing the answers.

Here is the 'no bs' deal for you:

You cannot enlist while on probation. Period. It doesn't matter WHAT state you go to or who you talk to, you cannot, repeat, CANNOT enlist. NOT while on probation for ANY offense.

Simply put, you will NOT be able to become a Marine, in my opinion, not now and with the max dropoff age approaching. At least, at this point anyway. You might stand a chance once probation is over with in July of 2010, since you won't turn 29 until September, if you don't DEP but enlist for an immediate ship date. That's the only way.

It doesn't matter how motivated, how much you 'want' it, or how much money you are willing to pay, it's not a 'right' to enlist into the Marine Corps, or any branch for that matter.

The Army, in your case, is your best and most available option. Even the Army, however, WILL NOT enlist you on probation, and you'll need waivers for the criminal issues regardless.

A recruiter may wander in here eventually and give you more Intel, but based on what I know and what I've seen here, I don't believe the facts stated above are going to significantly change.

BR34
08-08-09, 08:26 AM
Probation for minor traffic offenses? You mean like beating someone to death after a case of road rage?

What kind of minor traffic offense lands someone on probation in FL?

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 11:59 AM
Probation for minor traffic offenses? You mean like beating someone to death after a case of road rage?

What kind of minor traffic offense lands someone on probation in FL?

Well I guess I wrote it wrong.... a friend of mine career recruiter just told me that the only types of probation that is writeable are minor traffic fines and things of that sort... I just moved here to Florida, I have no clue what the laws are. He's in NC

Phantom Blooper
08-08-09, 12:31 PM
... I just moved here to Florida, I have no clue what the laws are.

You work for the insurance company Geico....ask that freaken lizard.

I thought all insurance people knew the points and law systems regardless of state.:evilgrin:

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 01:43 PM
You work for the insurance company Geico....ask that freaken lizard.

I thought all insurance people knew the points and law systems regardless of state.:evilgrin:
LOL SSgt, I know right? However, I am only a field adjuster. I look at damaged cars and issue payments, write supplemental checks, and deny claims on occasion. It gets interesting at times...

BR34
08-08-09, 02:11 PM
Why would you want to trade your life to start over from scratch? Seems like you got a good thing going. If I were you I'd live my life and be happy with it, instead of starting over on the unknown at such an old age (old in military years that is).

Oh, and +2 points for being from Louisiana. -1 for not being from southern Louisiana.

Drafter
08-08-09, 02:54 PM
Why r u trying to get someone who wants to be a MARINE try to become a soldier.....? You have no idea how good of a MARINE and how dedicated I would be..... I have nothing against the Army... nothing at all, But I'd rather be respected as a MARINE and have the heritage and tradition that follows...I am aware that the Army has a longer history, I want to be part of a Brotherhood that lasts for my entire life and my family's entire future when I'm gone.... That my friend, will come from being a MARINE...... You all should know more than me.... most of you are already Marines..... Now back to providing a future Marine with some guidance... thank you

The military and or USMC is not for everyone. Besides you don't receive respect in life by association, you earned it by actions, be what you are and be the best at it. Good Luck.

Rocky C
08-08-09, 03:06 PM
LOL SSgt, I know right? However, I am only a field adjuster. I look at damaged cars and issue payments, write supplemental checks, and deny claims on occasion. It gets interesting at times...

You work for Geiko??? No wonder you Posted in my Thread "What Kind of Vehicles do you Drive?"

I hope you didn't Register on this Site Looking for Buisness.
Things are starting to add up now.
Let me be very clear and tell you that us Marines here are very HYPER-VIGILENTE and will pick apart every word you say and analize it over and over and over again.

Choose your words wisely :evilgrin:

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 03:08 PM
You work for Geiko??? No wonder you Posted in my Thread "What Kind of Vehicles do you Drive?"

I hope you didn't Register on this Site Looking for Buisness.
Things are starting to add up now.
Let me be very clear and tell you that us Marines here are very HYPER-VIGILENTE and will pick apart every word you say and analize it over and over and over again.

Choose your words wisely :evilgrin:
Bahaha.... Not soliciting... I promise lol

samthomas
08-08-09, 03:57 PM
Even if you are able to overcome all of that to enlist, you should really consider the age thing. The average age of an enlistee is around 18, you are going to be a decade + older than those around...

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 03:58 PM
Even if you are able to overcome all of that to enlist, you should really consider the age thing. The average age of an enlistee is around 18, you are going to be a decade + older than those around year, and at least a couple of years older than the Sergeants and junior officers. It might not seem like anything now, but it will make a difference.

On the same note, all of the older guys when I was in ended up in headquarters platoon, doing admin nonsense. Given your age, education, and professional experience, you might very well end up in the same situation.

How old are you?

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 04:01 PM
Even if you are able to overcome all of that to enlist, you should really consider the age thing. The average age of an enlistee is around 18, you are going to be a decade + older than those around year, and at least a couple of years older than the Sergeants and junior officers. It might not seem like anything now, but it will make a difference.

On the same note, all of the older guys when I was in ended up in headquarters platoon, doing admin nonsense. Given your age, education, and professional experience, you might very well end up in the same situation.

Nevermind, I thought you were still active... This is something that if you never try it when we look back we will regret it. At least now that your out you are able to say I tried it and chose otherwise.... If I dont try this I will regret it for the rest of my life. We only live once....

Petz
08-08-09, 05:46 PM
I've know plenty of older Marines... age isn't a huge factor unless you can't lead from the front... if you are old and can't PT with the younger Marines then you're gonna be singled out.

you just have to work harder to be on par with them is all, not a big deal.

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 05:48 PM
I've know plenty of older Marines... age isn't a huge factor unless you can't lead from the front... if you are old and can't PT with the younger Marines then you're gonna be singled out.

you just have to work harder to be on par with them is all, not a big deal.

Thank you, with the obstacles that are yet to overcome with getting a recruiter's attention, I need a bit of encouragement right now.

Petz
08-08-09, 05:54 PM
there's a reason the age is 29 and not 31 like the army... or is it 33 now?

you need to stop posting fvck-me photos for your avatar and go get yourself a recruiter.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-09, 05:56 PM
Now..now....

And, it's 40 for the Army now. NO kidding.

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 07:12 PM

you need to stop posting fvck-me photos for your avatar and go get yourself a recruiter.
LOL, what kind of pix would u suggest I post... My girl took that.....:beer:

Thisisrandy
08-08-09, 07:20 PM

Here you go SSgt, this one doesnt totally scream fvck me... and Im not sure if I should start the process until I have this probation crap settled that way theyre not waiting on me, and me waiting on the court systems... Ya know??

samthomas
08-08-09, 08:18 PM
And, it's 40 for the Army now. NO kidding.

I couldn't imagine going through basic training at 40; you would have to be really desperate to go through that.

samthomas
08-08-09, 08:28 PM
I couldn't imagine going through basic training at 40; you would have to be really desperate to go through that.

Or to be fair, really motivated.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-09, 08:57 PM
True. But I wouldn't want to do that, either.

Of course, this is Arrrrmy basic we are talkin about here. So...

Petz
08-08-09, 08:58 PM
the Marines had full metal jacket, the Army had stripes with bill murray, sam raimi and joh candy....

ecfree
08-08-09, 09:58 PM
all of the older guys when I was in ended up in headquarters platoon, doing admin nonsense. Given your age, education, and professional experience, you might very well end up in the same situation.

We called them Remington Raiders...:D
Good luck kid,,,,get off the probation ,and you're good to go..:evilgrin:

Thisisrandy
08-10-09, 09:33 PM
I am needing some help finding the actual Article that states that a person on probation cannot join the military & I am also looking for an official document(s) stating that one cannot be released from probation due to Military enlistment.
I do believe what you all have told me about I not being able to enlist until I am off of probation. But the judge has told me once I enlist to bring him something and he will let me off. He does not understand that It doesnt work that way. I stumbled across what I am now seeking about a week ago but I have had no success in finding it the last 3 days. Please help me. Thank you in advance Marines....

Thisisrandy
08-11-09, 08:45 AM
I am needing some help finding the actual Article that states that a person on probation cannot join the military & I am also looking for an official document(s) stating that one cannot be released from probation due to Military enlistment.
I do believe what you all have told me about I not being able to enlist until I am off of probation. But the judge has told me once I enlist to bring him something and he will let me off. He does not understand that It doesnt work that way. I stumbled across what I am now seeking about a week ago but I have had no success in finding it the last 3 days. Please help me. Thank you in advance Marines....

Can anyone provide me with the military Article number for these laws? As well as where to find them?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-09, 03:15 PM
DoD policy. Try about.com. Go to the military section regarding enlisting.

samthomas
08-11-09, 03:25 PM
Here you go, I am bored. It would seem that the best thing to do would be to work on the things that you can change. Finish your degree, get in shape (or better shape), and study appropriate...

Thisisrandy
08-11-09, 03:31 PM
DoD policy. Try about.com. Go to the military section regarding enlisting.
Thank you Sgt. I actually did find that one about 30 minutes ago. However, I spke to a friend and he told me that what I am looking for can be found in a MPPM boot at all recruiting locations. He told me that I will need a copy of the page that states the Military cannot enlist anyone if they are on probation unless it is for minor traffic violations and it must not be supervised. If there is an active recruiter that reads this or knows where to find it please direct me. I already know that I can go to any recruiting station, thats not what I am asking to do do though. Thank You in advance.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-09, 03:36 PM
Isn't this like, a year from now? Are you thinking that if you bring this article/legal citation/policy to the judge, he'll drop the probation? Is that where you are going with it?

Thisisrandy
08-11-09, 04:15 PM
Isn't this like, a year from now? Are you thinking that if you bring this article/legal citation/policy to the judge, he'll drop the probation? Is that where you are going with it?

Ok, I'll just let you know the entire sitch.....

The reason I am on probation for assault is because I walk into my home to find my wife (now Ex) in the bed with what I later found out was an Army Sergeant. Well needless to say, he went to the hospital after I beat him for 10 minutes or so and then locked himself in my bathroom. He would not come out so after I puch several holes in the door I finally came back to my senses and just called the police to have him removed. When the police arrived I told them the entire story just as it happened thinking that he would be brought to jail for trespassing.... Well it turns out that in the "GREAT" liberal state of Maryland regardless of place, circumstances, or relevance you cannot assault anyone at anytime for any reason. So I go to jail and he gets an ambulance ride that I later had to pay for as well as his hospital bills.... a grand total of 1600.00. He could have walked to the hospital, it was like 2 blocks away. Well when I was in front of the judge he informed me of the rules for assault in Maryland and I was therefore placed on 18 months supervised probation and had to pay his bills. I asked him not to place me on probation because I was trying to join the military but Im sure he hears that 20 times a day therefore telling me that when I enlist provide him with my enlistment papers and he will then release me. I'm not sure if he stated this knowing that enlistment while on probation is not possible or if he stated this wanting me to do what I am now doing - which is working for it. Well that was in January 2009. The guy's bills were paid the day before I went to court and my probation is paid as well. I was released by my probation officer to Unsepervised probation. While in court the judge stated that as wrong as it may seem for the guy to do what he did, I was wrong too. WTF!!!!! So I accepted my sentence for 18 months of probation and here I am today, 8 months later. only in Maryland...

To answer your question: Yes, I think that due to the circumstances, the letters that I have prepared explaining that I cannot be released for military or anything other than good behavior along with the actual Articles from the Military recruiting guidlines; I feel that I stand a chance of getting this dropped. Its not like I just walked up to someone and assaulted them.

samthomas
08-11-09, 04:29 PM
The reason I am on probation for assault is because I walk into my home to find my wife (now Ex) in the bed with what I later found out was an Army Sergeant. Well needless to say, he went to the hospital after I beat him for 10 minutes or so and then locked himself in my bathroom. He would not come out so after I puch several holes in the door I finally came back to my senses and just called the police to have him removed. When the police arrived I told them the entire story just as it happened thinking that he would be brought to jail for trespassing.... Well it turns out that in the "GREAT" liberal state of Maryland regardless of place, circumstances, or relevance you cannot assault anyone at anytime for any reason. So I go to jail and he gets an ambulance ride that I later had to pay for as well as his hospital bills.... a grand total of 1600.00. He could have walked to the hospital, it was like 2 blocks away. Well when I was in front of the judge he informed me of the rules for assault in Maryland and I was therefore placed on 18 months supervised probation and had to pay his bills. I asked him not to place me on probation because I was trying to join the military but Im sure he hears that 20 times a day therefore telling me that when I enlist provide him with my enlistment papers and he will then release me. I'm not sure if he stated this knowing that enlistment while on probation is not possible or if he stated this wanting me to do what I am now doing - which is working for it. Well that was in January 2009. The guy's bills were paid the day before I went to court and my probation is paid as well. I was released by my probation officer to Unsepervised probation. While in court the judge stated that as wrong as it may seem for the guy to do what he did, I was wrong too. WTF!!!!! So I accepted my sentence for 18 months of probation and here I am today, 8 months later. only in Maryland...

Beating the hell of out of a turd is still illegal. Be grateful that you only got 18 months of probation.

Phantom Blooper
08-11-09, 04:35 PM
If you are on probation...supervised or un-supervised....how did you move from MD to FL?:evilgrin:

Thisisrandy
08-11-09, 04:39 PM
If you are on probation...supervised or un-supervised....how did you move from MD to FL?:evilgrin:

Well, like I said they are very understanding and linient due to the situation.

GyC
08-11-09, 10:31 PM
I've tried to read through this entire thread, had a hard time... I know the GySgt in Charlotte, so he must know you fairly well, and is trying to help you... However, that being said, in the current Recruiting environment, you're going to have a hard time finding any Recruiter/ NCOIC willing to put a waiver together, or a CO willing to endorse it... Education is good, law involvement bad, and your age is a Commanding General's waiver... Everything gets looked at by the CG, and even if the District approves the waiver for your law invlvement, the CG can wipe it all off the table... I would think you're going to spend way too much time to get turned down in the end... Good luck to you... S/F

Thisisrandy
08-12-09, 06:21 AM
I've tried to read through this entire thread, had a hard time... I know the GySgt in Charlotte, so he must know you fairly well, and is trying to help you... However, that being said, in the current Recruiting environment, you're going to have a hard time finding any Recruiter/ NCOIC willing to put a waiver together, or a CO willing to endorse it... Education is good, law involvement bad, and your age is a Commanding General's waiver... Everything gets looked at by the CG, and even if the District approves the waiver for your law invlvement, the CG can wipe it all off the table... I would think you're going to spend way too much time to get turned down in the end... Good luck to you... S/F
Yes, I understand entirely. That's the only thing that I am afraid of. I do know GySgt Staten very very well. As I said earlier, he is the head recruiter and head or a recruiting station in NC. With that said I understand that his authority only goes so high. He is telling me that it will not be a problem after the probation is dropped. I'm just skeptical that he is only doing his job and trying to keep me motivated enough to get this probation dropped so he can at least try to put me in.

GyC
08-12-09, 09:08 AM
Yes, I understand entirely. That's the only thing that I am afraid of. I do know GySgt Staten very very well. As I said earlier, he is the head recruiter and head or a recruiting station in NC. With that said I understand that his authority only goes so high. He is telling me that it will not be a problem after the probation is dropped. I'm just skeptical that he is only doing his job and trying to keep me motivated enough to get this probation dropped so he can at least try to put me in.

GySgt Staten is a great Marine/NCOIC and knows the business end... If he's trying to put you through, we have the same CO, and I've had some rough experience with waivers, however, he's in a bigger Station, and may have more latitude than I... Every waiver ran is "try".. Just be well prepared for the waiver process... Good Luck!

Thisisrandy
08-12-09, 09:23 AM
Thank You very Much GySgt. I went through this process back in 2002 with him and GySgt Taite. I was in the DEP and was on standby for an earlier ship date. At the time My IST was: 3 miles 17:22, 24...

Thisisrandy
08-12-09, 07:59 PM
Man, after constantly reading the posts of people's threads about ridiculous comments & questions like sneaking off to meet girls in boot camp, whining b/c there MOS isnt what they've always wanted, etc.... Give ME the damn chance to just become a Marine and I'll take cleaning sh*t tanks in Afghanistan for 4 years, I'll work out the details later. I wish that were my ONLY worry, what MOS to choose. I dont care what MOS I get, just give me a -chance- to become a Marine.... just 1 chance.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-12-09, 10:56 PM
Doesn't work thataway. <br />
<br />
So, you have been convicted of 2nd Degree Assault, and are on 18 months probation. Knowing Md the way I do, the it sounds like your charge was downgraded from a Felony...

Thisisrandy
08-12-09, 11:56 PM
I was charged with 1st Degree Assault, 2nd Degree Assault, &amp; Wreckless Endangerment. Everything was dropped except for the 2nd Degree Assault. You're right, I know my actions were wrong. All I have...

Thisisrandy
08-12-09, 11:58 PM
...And I WAS NOT convicted.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-12-09, 11:59 PM
No. Will carry no weight because he is a relative.

You are lucky you just got what you did, your attorney did a decent job.

And yes it sux.

Yes, you WERE convicted, of 2nd Degree Assault. That's why you are on probation.

Which brings up anothe problem.....this is domestic related, which falls under the Lautenberg act. That may prohibt you enlisting into ANY branch.

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:07 AM
No. Will carry no weight because he is a relative.

You are lucky you just got what you did, your attorney did a decent job.

And yes it sux.

Well, GySgt in NC has spoken with my Probation Officer. He advised him of the situation and informed him that my release cannot be on Military basis. My p.o. wrote a letter to the judge requesting abatement of probation for good behavior since all fines and requirements have been met and I have moved from MD. I also wrote 2 letters requesting the same thing with all the reasoning and detailed explainations of what this has taught me and why. I explained to the judge that I accept all resonsibility of my past actions and understand that probation is designed to keep citizens upholding, helping them make better lives for themselves while meeting some requirements for the court. I explained to him that at this time the probation is understood that it was a very linient sentence and at this time I am requesting that it be release so that I can make some career moves that will make me a better person. I went on into this with a lot more detail and a lot more structured than what I just wrote. Hopefully I receive some sort of POSITIVE response on my behalf.

This was all submitted last week. So it'll be a little while before I here something one way or another.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-13-09, 12:18 AM
Just remember, you are still carrying that conviction, even if the probation is lifted (and that will depend, quite frankly, on the judge, plus getting the victim to sign off on it, possibly. Possibly not. It really depends on the court, the judge, the states attorney, and your probation officer).

You may get lucky.

However, and again, you will have a 'crime of violence' (2nd Degree assault) on your record. Because this is likely domestic related, the Lautenberg amendment comes into play. What that is, says that once convicted of something like that, you can never legally own or carry a firearm for the rest of your LIFE. I'd advise you to find out ASAP regarding that. If that applies you will almost certainly be denied enlistment.

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:24 AM
Just remember, you are still carrying that conviction, even if the probation is lifted (and that will depend, quite frankly, on the judge, plus getting the victim to sign off on it, possibly. Possibly not. It really depends on the court, the judge, the states attorney, and your probation officer).

You may get lucky.

However, and again, you will have a 'crime of violence' (2nd Degree assault) on your record. Because this is likely domestic related, the Lautenberg amendment comes into play. What that is, says that once convicted of something like that, you can never legally own or carry a firearm for the rest of your LIFE. I'd advise you to find out ASAP regarding that. If that applies you will almost certainly be denied enlistment.

Thank you again.... all info definitely helps.
However, I was advised that
A) I was arrested
B) I am on probation
C) I was NOT convicted. i.e http://www.marylandcriminalattorneyblog.com/2008/10/probation_before_judgement_a_p.html

It was not domestic. At the time I owned a Glock .40 22 Series. I told the judge about it and asked if I had to get rid of it and/or what should be done with it. I was advised to do whatever I wanted, just nothing to harm anyone. So..... Any thoughts?

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:27 AM
Section 6-220 of the Criminal Procedure Article of the Maryland Annotated Code

Sgt Leprechaun
08-13-09, 12:36 AM
Try again. If you attempt to tell someone you were NOT convicted of 2nd Degree assault, you are going to lose (no matter what the statute says). I know, I know, the lawyers opinion says...

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:40 AM
1)Charge No:001Description:ASSAULT-FIRST DEGREEStatute:CR.3.202Description:ASSAULT-FIRST DEGREEAmended Date:CJIS Code:1 1420MO/PLL:Probable Cause:XIncident Date From: 07/04/2008To: 07/04/2008Victim...

Sgt Leprechaun
08-13-09, 12:45 AM
Marylalnd Judiciary Case search, I presume? I wasn't too far from being wrong I see.

(You got guts posting your CCH tho, give you that).

It also shows you plead Guilty to 2nd Degree Assault and got a PBJ out of it. Paid court costs etc. Therefore, to the layman reading this, you plead Guilty to assault and got PBJ. They have zero idea what PBJ means.

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:47 AM
I hear what you are saying but whoever made the sentence, Probation Before Judgement states it is NOT a conviction and after or when the probation is over there will be NO criminal record, all that...

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:48 AM
Marylalnd Judiciary Case search, I presume? I wasn't too far from being wrong I see.

(You got guts posting your CCH tho, give you that).

It also shows you plead Guilty to 2nd Degree Assault and got a PBJ out of it. Paid court costs etc. Therefore, to the layman reading this, you plead Guilty to assault and got PBJ. They have zero idea what PBJ means.

What exactly is CCH, and can I delete the post???

Thisisrandy
08-13-09, 12:52 AM
I hear what you are saying but whoever made the sentence, Probation Before Judgement states it is NOT a conviction and after or when the probation is over there will be NO criminal record, all that will need to be exponged is the ARREST record. Input please?

PBJ =
1) Peanut Butter & Jelly :p
2) Pyrex Bell Jar
3) Probation Before Judgement:cry:

Sgt Leprechaun
08-13-09, 01:59 AM
Send a message to yellowwing requesting it be deleted.

You will have to contact the court system and put in for an expungement. That's the only way it'll entirely go away. THEN you can legally say you have no criminal record. (You'll still have to legally say you've been arrested, however).

"CCH" Criminal History.